Sofia Turrientes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me when do usually exams take place at rhul? is it at the end of every year or each semester? I also would like to know what is exactly Reading Week (as I have never heard of it). Lastly, would you recommend purchasing any books, or are they usually found in the library?
Thank you very much.
Royal Holloway, University of London
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sofia Turrientes)
Hello, I was wondering if you could tell me when do usually exams take place at rhul? is it at the end of every year or each semester? I also would like to know what is exactly Reading Week (as I have never heard of it). Lastly, would you recommend purchasing any books, or are they usually found in the library?
Thank you very much.
Hi Sofia,

Your exams will really vary depending on your department. Some departments only have exams during the third term exam season, whereas others may have some exams during January. You're also likely to have essays, presentations, and other graded work throughout the year, which can help to balance your workload more evenly in the main exam season. All info on your exams will be relayed to you by the department at the start of term, and if you have any questions, the department are the best people to ask about specifics.

Reading Week is somewhat similar to a half term. This takes place during the middle of term, where classes are not scheduled in order for you to catch up on reading (hence the name!) and any work. Some departments and modules might not partake in Reading Week and will still hold classes during this time. If you're curious about this, I would again recommend asking your department upon arrival.

In terms of reading lists, most compulsory reading can be found in the library. If you let me know which course you're looking to join I can look to see if a recommended reading list has been uploaded for you. There may be some mandatory reading or text books, which this depends on the department. Personally, I found doing some of the recommended reading really helpful to understanding what we were studying during the first few weeks, though I know some people like to wait until they're on campus to buy books they know they need.

Summer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (302)
55.72%
I don't have everything I need (240)
44.28%

Watched Threads