Travelling to uni, 16-25 rail card

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Flavia.x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'll be starting university very soon however I'm getting mixed advice from people based on travel. I'm looking for the cheapest option possible as I will be travelling into London on a daily basis.

I'm familiar with Apple Pay, which apparently works just like any other Oyster, tap in and tap out and you have a maximum daily cap.

I have heard of the 16-25 railcard which gives you 1/3 off any ticket. I'm guessing if I'll be travelling everyday it would be best to get an annual/monthly ticket, from which I can deduct 1/3 off with the 16-25 railcard?

I have also heard of the 18+ Student Oyster Card. Is that the exact same thing?

If there are any uni students who are in the same position, I would much appreciate any advice on what the cheapest option is, how it works and what I have to do.
Guy_Specs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Flavia.x)
I'll be starting university very soon however I'm getting mixed advice from people based on travel. I'm looking for the cheapest option possible as I will be travelling into London on a daily basis.

I'm familiar with Apple Pay, which apparently works just like any other Oyster, tap in and tap out and you have a maximum daily cap.

I have heard of the 16-25 railcard which gives you 1/3 off any ticket. I'm guessing if I'll be travelling everyday it would be best to get an annual/monthly ticket, from which I can deduct 1/3 off with the 16-25 railcard?

If there are any uni students who are in the same position, I would much appreciate any advice on what the cheapest option is, how it works and what I have to do.
Student oyster cards only cover you if you are within the oyster zone, i assume you're outside of this so i suggest using a 16-25 railcard to purchase a discounted season ticket.

Oyster student cards require you to re-apply for it each year at the end of each academic year, whereas you can buy a railcard for a maximum of 3yrs.
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Yeah you need a 16-25 Railcard. They're great - they are £30 annually but you usually have saved about that much after your first couple journeys. It will save you a lot in the long run and it takes about 2 minutes to buy one online
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Problem with the railcard is that it is only valid for off-peak tickets (unless you're spending at least £12). They don't work on season tickets either.

If you're commuting every day from outside of the Oyster zone, you'll be better off purchasing a season ticket instead. You can always get a refund of the remaining unused portion of the ticket as you will be home for the summer anyway (I am assuming here).
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
Yeah you need a 16-25 Railcard. They're great - they are £30 annually but you usually have saved about that much after your first couple journeys. It will save you a lot in the long run and it takes about 2 minutes to buy one online
You can buy them at a local train station too.
Flavia.x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I take it that with the rail card I can only use the discount on the train journeys, meaning that I won't be able to use it for the London Underground or DLR?

So for example if I am travelling from Grays to Limehouse, I will have to buy a return ticket to Limehouse everyday, to which the 1/3 off will be applied?
username2324315
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So I take it that with the rail card I can only use the discount on the train journeys, meaning that I won't be able to use it for the London Underground or DLR?

So for example if I am travelling from Grays to Limehouse, I will have to buy a return ticket to Limehouse everyday, to which the 1/3 off will be applied?
I don't think it applies to the DLR or London Underground, no. You can't use it if you buy your ticket on the train itself either I believe.
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can't use it if you buy your ticket on the train itself either I believe.
You can use a railcard when you buy a ticket on the train. Of course, that's only allowed if you were not able to buy a ticket at the station you departed from.

See https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/35/
username2324315
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by martin7)
You can use a railcard when you buy a ticket on the train. Of course, that's only allowed if you were not able to buy a ticket at the station you departed from.

See https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/35/
Oh ok I see
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

You can get your railcard added on to your oystercard which gives 1/3 off on off peak fares only on London Underground/Overground/DLR
gooeybrownie22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Santander do a free 4 year railcard, if you open a student account with them and are entering your first year of studies!
Jitka123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username2324315)
Do I have to pay for the tickets or the railcard will cover it?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.18%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.67%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.96%
I need help with my personal statement (57)
40.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.09%

Watched Threads