The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Gay actions repulse me-am I homophobic?

Scroll to see replies

What's the problem with two men kissing or two women kissing? I don't get it.
Original post by Axiomasher
What's the problem with two men kissing or two women kissing? I don't get it.

The problem isn't the kissing. The problem is when something makes someone feel uncomfortable and that person is attacked and expected to change their view. Homosexuals don't like feeling ashamed for what feels natural to them, so why should someone else feel ashamed for what feels natural. You can't have change without peace.
Reply 42
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes that is the exact definition of homophobia...

In what way exactly?
Original post by Dheorl
In what way exactly?

google is free
Reply 44
google is free

Yea, googling "why does artful_lounger think this is homophobic" doesn't return much...
Original post by FreeToBeMe
The problem isn't the kissing. The problem is when something makes someone feel uncomfortable and that person is attacked and expected to change their view. Homosexuals don't like feeling ashamed for what feels natural to them, so why should someone else feel ashamed for what feels natural. You can't have change without peace.

I still don't get it. I don't play golf, I don't like the idea of playing golf and I don't expect to ever play golf but the sight of other people playing golf doesn't bother me.
google is free

We pay with our souls.
Hey, I’m gay myself and I find some gay men to be horrible and disgusting too. Don’t lose heart check this list

- some gay men like to be bottom
- some gay men like to be top
- some gay men are both
- some are none “like me”.
- some gay men like to do unusual things sometimes disgusting.
Homosexuality is heresy!
I understand that there is a tone of aggression here, but I hear artful_lounger stating that it hurts to be considered disgusting, even if it is thought only. I don't know if preconceived ideas can change without a lot of reprogramming, or instincts either. I came on here because I too have an instinctual discomfort with male gay relationships, and I consider myself a bicurious woman and I am really confused by that instinct in me as well. My sister is a lesbian, and it doesn't affect me the same way. It doesn't feel like a choice the feelings that come up, and they do bother me as I don't understand why there is this nonacceptance of sorts coming up in me. I do not act on it behaviorally, and I wish it did not come up instinctively, however, I am curious as to what it is all about as well. I also have that nonacceptance come up with people I don't find attractive displaying physical affection in my presence such as people of a certain age that is no longer celebrated by media. And I found it helpful to consider that perhaps my judgments are a prison my mind has me in. Because I am hard on my own differences and flaws as well, and so maybe like media images are embedded in my psyche constantly, this is the shame-based part of my hurt self afraid of not fitting in I imagine. And perhaps that is what creates nonacceptance of differences to embedded norms. I do not like that people here resorted to calling out people as idiots and morons that is wrong. I think it was brave of artful_lounger to state clear experiential truth, as much as it was brave of the original post-er to share his struggles with his feelings of disgust. I was surprised and found it insensitive, however,when the original post-er spoke of people with extra weight without the same sensitivity he had toward being supportive to the LGBTQ community. I don't see that distinction as something any different than other diverse issues. It hurts people. Please be sensitive in general to the complexities of all of this, and especially the minority experience of all marginalized people groups which only the one who carries those differences has to hold awareness of them every day. I do feel that I cannot be free if I don't continue to open up to a life beyond excluding any individual based on any judgement (with the exception of violence as unacceptable).
No, you're not homophobic, no more than me being repulsed by the idea of a vagina and a penis going into it would make me heterophobic. So no need to beat yourself up over it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FreeToBeMe

Desensitisation therapy. Gradual exposure to the image of two men kissing over several sessions.

first date.jpg
Homophobic but also just wrong for thinking that homosexuality isn't an aspect of the natural world, of which we are a part. Celibacy doesn't lead to procreation either, is that 'sickening' too? It's not like we're short of humans on the planet is it?
So you contradict your own logic. Sweet.
Says homosexuality is sickening, also says he is not homophobic.....
hey kid.jpg
I don't think that's homophobic, you're just uncomfortable. Lots of people are uncomfortable with straight PDA let alone gay.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Ask yourself this - do you feel the same level of discomfort at seeing a heterosexual fat, very ugly couple kiss, or imagining them having sex?

that's well fatophobic :emo:
Original post by jake2095858394
From a young age I remember when I was first introduced to the idea of being gay. I was like 5 or 6 and at my cousin's house and I heard them calling each other the word. I asked them what it meant and when they explained what it was I was immediately disgusted by it. I don't have anything against gay people and I'm in favour of things like gay marriage because I think it's a free country, but the idea of two men or two women getting it on makes me so uncomfortable I do my best to avoid thinking about it. The other day I was on the tube and two men had a kiss and I looked away, my friend noticed and asked me after if I was a homophobe. Am I homophobic? I really don't want to be. If this does make me homophobic, how can I condition myself to not be disgusted by the thought of homosexual actions?

Okay look, everyone’s telling you you’re homophobic. You’re not. Im homosexual and saying ts. You simply feeling these feelings is not homophobic. You can’t help it. You’re aware nothing is morally wrong with being gay, and so these feelings are fine. As long as you don’t openly express these feelings in a negative manner you’re not a homophobe.

Sharing the feelings with a homosexual is fine, eg letting a friend who’s gay know how you feel so perhaps they can help you with it, or just be aware of how you feel, is fine.

However walking up to that gay couple kissing on the train and saying ‘I find you disgusting’ is very much not okay. That would be homophobic. Please don’t do that. As long as you don’t think homosexuals should change their lifestyle because of your feelings, you’re not homophobic.
Original post by the bear
that's well fatophobic :emo:

Not to mention uglaphobic, not to be contused with iglooaphobic.

wanna kiss.jpg

Latest

Trending

Trending