AliMurtaza770
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've started A-Levels this september and was wondering how important it is to do further maths to do Engineering at Oxford?
My current A-Levels Subjects are Biology-Chemistry-Math-Physics however, I've been advised continuously to take Further as 'it would be impossible' to get into Oxford without that subject.
How much of this is true?
Thanks in advance
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...science?wssl=1

"A-levels: A*A*A to include Mathematics and Physics. The A*s must be in Mathematics, Physics or Further Mathematics"

It seems that you only need Maths, Further Maths and Physics.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AliMurtaza770)
I've started A-Levels this september and was wondering how important it is to do further maths to do Engineering at Oxford?
My current A-Levels Subjects are Biology-Chemistry-Math-Physics however, I've been advised continuously to take Further as 'it would be impossible' to get into Oxford without that subject.
Thanks in advance
Candidates are expected to have Physics and Mathematics to A-level, Advanced Higher, Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent. Inclusion of Mathematics Mechanics modules is highly recommended. Further Mathematics can be helpful to students in completing this course, although it is not required for admission. Details of the requirements for other qualifications, including the Advanced Diploma in Engineering, can be found on the Engineering Science website. We expect you to have taken and passed any practical component in your chosen science subjects.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...cience?wssl=1#
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks in advance
I don't think it's 100% required, but it's highly advantageous, even if it's only an AS. If you can't do that, there is the option of taking individual maths modules (focus on the Mechanics ones if you're doing engineering).
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I mean if you want to do engineering I don't see why you wouldn't want to do further maths.
sindyscape62
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks in advance
If your school offers further maths then why wouldn't you take it? If you think you'll enjoy biology more than further maths then Oxford engineering probably isn't a university course you'd like.

If your school doesn't offer FM then not having it will count against you less, but I'd still advise self teaching the material for at least a couple of modules - it'll show you're committed and help when you get to uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads