Biology and chemistry A-level? Watch

Dippyhippie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How hard are they and what's needed to get the best grades?

I've heard of so many people last year (even the straight A/A* students) who have to redo their modules for both subjects because it's apparently so hard and they had Es. If I start my notes now and learn them consistently throughout the year, will that be good enough?

I had A*s for each chemistry module and 2A*s, A and a B for biology.

Do you think I'll struggle?
Nicolalmh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got A*'s in biology and chemistry at GCSE but only came out with B's at A level after retaking most of the chemistry and some of the biology AS exams. I'm not sure how difficult it is now they've changed the exams but when I took them last year going to all the lessons, doing the homework and revising for tests after each module was not enough to even pass. I worked my ass off, took time off work and spent a lot of time on the weekend revising just to get a B. (Don't get me wrong, a B is good at A level but it's not A*)

Revising previous modules every few weeks, going over notes and a past paper a week are the bare minimum to get a good pass (C or B).
You have to dedicate a lot of time and effort to get A's. You have to understand and memorise each and every part of the specification and practice exam skills. Just because you know the answer you may not get the marking point. Do lots of past papers, revise content throughout the year and review lesson content by rewriting, making posters or test yourself on facts and you should be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.77%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
15.17%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.82%

Watched Threads