The Student Room Group

Previous Study

Hello,
I appear to have completely messed up my student finance.
According to the Student finance guideline the following rule applies for applicants who have previously been in higher education: `The number of years for which you can get funding is worked out as: Length of current course + one additional year - years of previous study`

I am from an EU country, Hungary. I have started a course there I didn`t complete and was not awarded any certificate or diploma. I have been an active student for one semester (half a year) and I have been a passive student for the following 3 semesters. In my student finance application I put 2 years of previous study, and I presume no one checks whether or not I have actually been an active student for the whole length, I have received a letter stating I cannot get any funding for my first academic year.

I don`t think this should count as 2 years as for the most part I did not attend classes and no one had to pay a tuition fee nor have I received any benefits after the terms I spent as a passive student. I believe the term you use for `passive year` is `gap year`

My final question is: In what way does my gap year affect the amount of funding I am entitled for? Shouldn`t only my active years affect the amount of funding I can get?

Thanks
Original post by AnnaBarbara
Hello,
I appear to have completely messed up my student finance.
According to the Student finance guideline the following rule applies for applicants who have previously been in higher education: `The number of years for which you can get funding is worked out as:

I am from an EU country, Hungary. I have started a course there I didn`t complete and was not awarded any certificate or diploma. I have been an active student for one semester (half a year) and I have been a passive student for the following 3 semesters. In my student finance application I put 2 years of previous study, and I presume no one checks whether or not I have actually been an active student for the whole length, I have received a letter stating I cannot get any funding for my first academic year.

I don`t think this should count as 2 years as for the most part I did not attend classes and no one had to pay a tuition fee nor have I received any benefits after the terms I spent as a passive student. I believe the term you use for `passive year` is `gap year`

My final question is: In what way does my gap year affect the amount of funding I am entitled for? Shouldn`t only my active years affect the amount of funding I can get?

Thanks

Hi AnnaBarbara,

Any years of previous study undertaken counts as previous study, even if you only attended for part of the academic year.
You can be confident that Student Finance would not count your gap year as a year of study if you did not take up your place in that academic year.
The best way forward is to provide a letter, on headed paper, from your previous University or College, confirming the previous years of study where you were in attendance.
Send your evidence along with a cover letter and your customer reference number and this will be reviewed by an assessor.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending