AnnaBarbara
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,
I appear to have completely messed up my student finance.
According to the Student finance guideline the following rule applies for applicants who have previously been in higher education: `The number of years for which you can get funding is worked out as: Length of current course + one additional year - years of previous study`

I am from an EU country, Hungary. I have started a course there I didn`t complete and was not awarded any certificate or diploma. I have been an active student for one semester (half a year) and I have been a passive student for the following 3 semesters. In my student finance application I put 2 years of previous study, and I presume no one checks whether or not I have actually been an active student for the whole length, I have received a letter stating I cannot get any funding for my first academic year.

I don`t think this should count as 2 years as for the most part I did not attend classes and no one had to pay a tuition fee nor have I received any benefits after the terms I spent as a passive student. I believe the term you use for `passive year` is `gap year`

My final question is: In what way does my gap year affect the amount of funding I am entitled for? Shouldn`t only my active years affect the amount of funding I can get?

Thanks
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AnnaBarbara)
Hello,
I appear to have completely messed up my student finance.
According to the Student finance guideline the following rule applies for applicants who have previously been in higher education: `The number of years for which you can get funding is worked out as: Length of current course + one additional year - years of previous study`

I am from an EU country, Hungary. I have started a course there I didn`t complete and was not awarded any certificate or diploma. I have been an active student for one semester (half a year) and I have been a passive student for the following 3 semesters. In my student finance application I put 2 years of previous study, and I presume no one checks whether or not I have actually been an active student for the whole length, I have received a letter stating I cannot get any funding for my first academic year.

I don`t think this should count as 2 years as for the most part I did not attend classes and no one had to pay a tuition fee nor have I received any benefits after the terms I spent as a passive student. I believe the term you use for `passive year` is `gap year`

My final question is: In what way does my gap year affect the amount of funding I am entitled for? Shouldn`t only my active years affect the amount of funding I can get?

Thanks
Were you still enrolled and paying tuition for that course for 3 semesters?
AnnaBarbara
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Were you still enrolled and paying tuition for that course for 3 semesters?
Okay. In Hungary higher education is government funded. Similar to the English system you`re entitled for (government) funding for the length of your course+ 1 extra year ( the only difference is that it isn`t me who`s paying for the degree but the government). If you`re on a passive year or gap year, your still enrolled or rather registered as a student on a gap year, but because your not attending, there is no tuition fee to be paid (by the government) and so it doesn`t reduce your years of funding you`re entitled for.

????
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay. In Hungary higher education is government funded. Similar to the English system you`re entitled for (government) funding for the length of your course+ 1 extra year ( the only difference is that it isn`t me who`s paying for the degree but the government). If you`re on a passive year or gap year, your still enrolled or rather registered as a student on a gap year, but because your not attending, there is no tuition fee to be paid (by the government) and so it doesn`t reduce your years of funding you`re entitled for.

????
There's no such thing as staying enrolled in the UK as you end up deferring a place instead.
AnnaBarbara
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
There's no such thing as staying enrolled in the UK as you end up deferring a place instead.
yes, if you want to put your degree on hold in England, you can get a higher education certificate, then go back any time and continue from where you left it. In hungary if you terminate yourself from a uni, you have to start from the beginning when you go back. So if you want to take a year off (in Hungary) you have to register yourself as a 'passive student' and this isn't equal to being enrolled, as there's no tuition fee (obviously, you're not taking classes, you're not attending) and also you don't get any of the student benefits (no discounted travel, etc.)
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yes, if you want to put your degree on hold in England, you can get a higher education certificate, then go back any time and continue from where you left it. In hungary if you terminate yourself from a uni, you have to start from the beginning when you go back. So if you want to take a year off (in Hungary) you have to register yourself as a 'passive student' and this isn't equal to being enrolled, as there's no tuition fee (obviously, you're not taking classes, you're not attending) and also you don't get any of the student benefits (no discounted travel, etc.)
It's definitely a grey area with student finance, putting two years down is what's caused the issue
Davideman0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok, put two years down cause that causes the issue... Now how to solve this?
Davideman0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Anna, did you solve the issue?
Davideman0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Davideman0)
Hi Anna, did you solve the issue?
I think I am in the same situation... please share your tips if you solved the problem: the previous study affect your future fundings
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (20)
31.75%
No (43)
68.25%

Watched Threads