Annoying, immature kid distracting me in class? Watch

rachelconlon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I started college this week and I'm taking A-Level Physics. Yesterday this 14 year old boy started our class. He's been fast tracked, and has already sat his maths and further maths a levels. Our teacher placed him next to me as it was the nearest empty space. Even though it's only been 2 days with him, he has really started to distract me. He's a know it all sort of character, and constantly chatters on about basically how much he knows and how he got the questions right etc, but when the teacher is talking or trying to explain something. He's really immature, obviously he's only 14 but he acts like a child. I can barely focus on the teacher with him constantly whispering down my ear, saying completely irrelevant things like "I'm going to look through this textbook to see if there is anything I don't already know" and asking me how I do things because he does them in a different, (he implies) superior way. He also does things like for example we got our homeowkr back and he physically leaned on me to see what score I got and then started telling me that I should have shown my working, etc. I don't want to seem horrible but he is really distracting me and I don't think I an cope sitting next to him for the next 2 years as our teacher has us in a seating plan. What should I do? Should I have a word with the teacher? Should I tell him to be quiet? I don't want to come off as rude to the rest of the class either but he is really starting to annoy me. Thanks for any help
Friffinghell
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rachelconlon)
I started college this week and I'm taking A-Level Physics. Yesterday this 14 year old boy started our class. He's been fast tracked, and has already sat his maths and further maths a levels. Our teacher placed him next to me as it was the nearest empty space. Even though it's only been 2 days with him, he has really started to distract me. He's a know it all sort of character, and constantly chatters on about basically how much he knows and how he got the questions right etc, but when the teacher is talking or trying to explain something. He's really immature, obviously he's only 14 but he acts like a child. I can barely focus on the teacher with him constantly whispering down my ear, saying completely irrelevant things like "I'm going to look through this textbook to see if there is anything I don't already know" and asking me how I do things because he does them in a different, (he implies) superior way. He also does things like for example we got our homeowkr back and he physically leaned on me to see what score I got and then started telling me that I should have shown my working, etc. I don't want to seem horrible but he is really distracting me and I don't think I an cope sitting next to him for the next 2 years as our teacher has us in a seating plan. What should I do? Should I have a word with the teacher? Should I tell him to be quiet? I don't want to come off as rude to the rest of the class either but he is really starting to annoy me. Thanks for any help
I'd have a quick word with the teacher after class. I don't think asking to be moved/for annoying person to be moved is a big deal.
justrevising
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rachelconlon)
I don't think you should bother with telling him to be quiet as he probably will not listen from the sound of things. Best way to solve your problem is to tell your teacher how he's affecting your concentration in lessons and your teacher will allow you to move seats. If you want to avoid appearing/seeming rude ask your teacher at the end of class or before class. It is NOT rude this is YOUR education and any hindrances should be overcome to achieve the best! Hope it goes well!
1god
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes 100% have a quiet word with your teacher about him distracting you. Just say it in the nicest way possible. Take it from me, a year 13 student, college is hard enough without having to deal with distractions.
I've recently moved class because of a student that was causing me problems in that class. Do whats best for you!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (126)
20.29%
Labour (310)
49.92%
Liberal Democrats (84)
13.53%
Green Party (30)
4.83%
Brexit Party (7)
1.13%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.48%
SNP (13)
2.09%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.97%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)