The Student Room Group

Will unis decline my application for medicine?

I got 2 A's for english lit and lang and C's in my sciences, maths and other subjects. If i manage to get AAA or meet the entry requirements, will they decline me because of the GCSE grades? I plan on re taking maths to get a 5 instead of a 4.

Which unis will be more lenient?
Original post by Zaiinabb
I got 2 A's for english lit and lang and C's in my sciences, maths and other subjects. If i manage to get AAA or meet the entry requirements, will they decline me because of the GCSE grades? I plan on re taking maths to get a 5 instead of a 4.

Not to demotivate you or anything but i dont think any uni would accept you with C's especially in the sciences and math. Good luck
Grades in science don't rlly matter but most unis want a B in maths tho.
Original post by SpidgetFinner
Grades in science don't rlly matter but most unis want a B in maths tho.

For medicine... A-level grades

I find this to not be 100% true. While looking at uni prospectuses and attending many open days, every university in the country (United Kingdom) is expecting a minimum of an A in chemistry, with some like Oxbridge basically expecting an A*. Most ask for a second science (preferable biology for some), and again most say third subject is entirely your choice.

I remember a few years ago, there were universities that loved to see a mix.

My advice? Check the uni you want to apply to. I will surely be surprised if a university is not asking for an A in chemistry.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zaiinabb

I would say stick to universities that do not look so hard at GCSE grades. They are few and far between, but they are there. These universities tend to ask for a higher UKCAT/BMAT score. For example, last year, Cambridge expected C's in Sciences and Maths, but they then said minimum A level requirement was A*A*A. Aberdeen was C's in sciences and maths, but asked for AAA. It all depends on the university and what the grades of the students applying are.

They are much more likely to pick a student with your GCSE grades if you end up with an A*A*A than a student with all A*s at GCSE but then AAB at A-level.

Conclusion: Check with each individual uni. I sat down one day and ordered the prospectuses of every medical university. The best bit? They send them by post. I made a spreadsheet and figured out which I could apply to. Worked a treat for me, but not everyone likes to carry out my level of research...
Original post by AMaster1
For medicine... A-level grades

I find this to not be 100% true. While looking at uni prospectuses and attending many open days, every university in the country (United Kingdom) is expecting a minimum of an A in chemistry, with some like Oxbridge basically expecting an A*. Most ask for a second science (preferable biology for some), and again most say third subject is entirely your choice.

I remember a few years ago, there were universities that loved to see a mix.

My advice? Check the uni you want to apply to. I will surely be surprised if a university is not asking for an A in chemistry.

I'm talking about GCSEs and I'm not the OP lol
Original post by SpidgetFinner
I'm talking about GCSEs and I'm not the OP lol

Realised that it was GCSE grades after I finished typing, then thought, "what the fish?" and posted...

And I know you're not the OP.

GCSE questions answered in my reply to the OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending