P4 Polar Co-ords HELP!!!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Could someone explain Polar Co-ords to me? I've read the P4 Heineman Book and I get how the co-ords (r, theta) relate to (x,y) but I don't think I truely understand Polar Co-ordinates, as I don't have a clue what the curves/lines of polar equations look like!!! How would I draw something like r.cos[theta] = 2?! I've looked in all my maths books but none of them really explain Polar Co-ords, only go over how to transfer from a polar eqtn to cartesian nd vice versa! Please help! Thanks!
JamesF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
xi + yj = r(cos[theta]i + sin[theta]j)

So r.cos[theta] = x. The line you have is therefore just the line x=2

I know these arent vectors, but its the same idea.
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
Thanks - an interesting idea!

How would I go about drawing something far more complicated however, without having to plot points?
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
Thanks - an interesting idea!

How would I go about drawing something far more complicated however, without having to plot points?
with great difficulty

fermat or someone explaiend something before but i didnt really follow; plotting points is by far the easiest way, unless you memorise the standard forms (cardioid, lemniscate etc).

or if you use a graphical calculator
Hoofbeat
Rep:
?
(Original post by kikzen)
with great difficulty

fermat or someone explaiend something before but i didnt really follow; plotting points is by far the easiest way, unless you memorise the standard forms (cardioid, lemniscate etc).

or if you use a graphical calculator
Where's fermat when you need him?! lol. Thanks anyways
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
Where's fermat when you need him?! lol. Thanks anyways
hi again

it was bezza that was saying it
http://www.uk-learning.net/t51038.html
It'sPhil...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Think about what values for theta (if any) give r = 0, and what values give a max or min value for r. Also consider how r varies as theta runs from 0 to pi. Think about whether the curve is symetric at all (replace t with -t) and remember that by convention, r>0
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (116)
80.56%
Leave (28)
19.44%

Watched Threads