Housing benefit for single parent at Uni

Watch
Singlemumstudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting uni on the 18th but after losing my job back in My this year, I'm currently claiming benefits for me and my three children 17, 15 & 12.
I've been told through the grapevine that I wont be entitled to housing benefit once I start Uni and that I'll have to pay for my rent from my maintenance loan. That would cripple me financially... Is this true?
TIA.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Singlemumstudent)
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting uni on the 18th but after losing my job back in My this year, I'm currently claiming benefits for me and my three children 17, 15 & 12.
I've been told through the grapevine that I wont be entitled to housing benefit once I start Uni and that I'll have to pay for my rent from my maintenance loan. That would cripple me financially... Is this true?
TIA.
Who on the grapevine is telling you this?

As a single parent then you will be able to claim housing benefit as you have dependants.
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/extra-help
Either talk to your local HB office

or go to a Shelter advice centre
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...advice_centres
or CAB for a full benefits check.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ab...tizens-advice/
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some of your maintenance loan will count as income for housing benefit whether you take it or not.
RebeccaBCooper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have you found out if you can get housing benefit because I'm struggling for answers with it myself (same position I have a Son and starting as a mature student this week) 😊
Addie1991
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi i got most of my housing benefit paid last year. At first they wanted me to pay £40 a week towards my rent untill i spoke to a different person and she said because i get a higher maintenance loan they cant see whats included in it so i needed to show then the entitlement summary bit where it states the parent learning allowence. So in the end i was paying £6 a week
socialscience92
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
General rule of thumb, you would not be entitled to HB if you are a full time student. HOWEVER, if you you meet certain criteria(s), then you may still he able to get it. Being a single parent is under one of them, so you should be able to get it. Remember if you got maintenance loan, you need to declare this to your local council - it may affect your HB entitlement or how much you are eligible for. You will be exempted from paying council tax whilst you are a full time student.
lola777
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there , am in a similar situation with my HB , they have asked me to pay £65 weekly for my rent. Am a student and lone parent too. I get so many letters from student finance and I dont know which of the papers to submit to get the correct calculations. I also get the higher amount for sfe . You could send me an email if you can. I really do need help ....
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Singlemumstudent)
Hi Everyone,

TIA.

Hi Singlemumstudent,

The Job Centre Plus (JCP) will take into account any loans and grants, both undergraduate and postgraduate, when calculating your entitlement to benefits.
Most full-time students can't claim income related benefits but you may be able to claim if you are a single parent
Students who are eligible to receive State Benefits are eligible for an increased amount of Maintenance Loan.

You will receive your regular Maintenance Loan along with the Special Support Element.

From 2017/18 onwards it will now show on the Notification of Entitlement letters we send out how much of your loan is the special support element, which means that DWP are able to determine what part of your loan should be ignored for the purposes of calculating your benefits.

You should ask your Jobcentre Plus or your local authority's Housing Benefit section how this will specifically affect your benefits. More information can be obtained from,www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators.

Regards Rona
Hiles88
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I started Uni in September FULL TIME. I get Full housing benefit (£7.00 water rates NOT included) I am in a council property. If you are private renting and within the local housing allowance for your household the entitlement should also cover rent if on a full time course
Danielle2512
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm also a single parent and receive housing benefit. There's an additional page that I sent off to housing when I applied to ensure that calculated it properly on your student finance login page.
I live in London and get 84 a week towards my 154 a week rent. The rest you would have to cover yourself.
Rahada
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi i am really desperate for some help Can you plz suggest if you are eligible for housing benefit being a single parent and full time studentI am full time student and single parent but my housing benefit is just paying me 20 pounds a week and i am under so much stress i dont know how i am gonna bear all these expenses Plz help if you have any information
Danielle2512
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rahada)
Hi i am really desperate for some help Can you plz suggest if you are eligible for housing benefit being a single parent and full time studentI am full time student and single parent but my housing benefit is just paying me 20 pounds a week and i am under so much stress i dont know how i am gonna bear all these expenses Plz help if you have any information

They may have calculated your benefit wrong. Added elements they shouldn't have. On your student finance login there's a page that breaks it down that you can save and send to the council.

Also speak to your uni and if you're working it's probably not worth it. Also apply for child tax credits
Danielle2512
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DemocracyUK)
More importantly why are you a single mother with 3 children?
None of your business. Not relevant to the topic.
DemocracyUK
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Danielle2512)
None of your business. Not relevant to the topic.
It is, because where is the father figure to her children?
Rahada
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have sent full breakdown letter to council they replied me after three months and now i have debt of 1200 pounds plus have to pay 900 pound rent every month Its really shocking I have 18 month old baby i cant even start working at the moment i am not sure how to approach housing benefit department now after all this
Danielle2512
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DemocracyUK)
It is, because where is the father figure to her children?
That's not your problem or issue or business. Single parent doesn't automatically mean no father. Bore off with your judgement.
cory39
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi. I'm a single parent and full time student since 2017.
honestly I'm thinking if i done the a good choice, becouse I have to pay full rent (600) and the money from student finance only covers my rent, not even that in full. When i first started uni I wasn't working, so the council paid 250 and I covered the rest. I decided to go work part time for 16h/ w, and then theg ask me to pay full rent
Ctoll001
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I have to pay 484 a month rent and housing benefit pay £396 I was just wondering since I haven’t had any student finance since April which was my lastPayment for the year how housing benefit worked in the summer? I’ve got a 4 year old An I’m not working I only receive child benefit and child tax credit so I physically cannot pay 484 a month to my rent.
cory39
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ypu should get income support and hb during summer holidays
Ctoll001
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cory39)
ypu should get income support and hb during summer holidays
Even though my son turns 5 in August?
Thank u for replying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise