The Student Room Group

2017 Cambridge Admissions Testing Service tests and posting rules

Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing Service (used by the University of Oxford, Imperial College London and some Medical schools) are international tests.

As a result, some candidates in one country may have already completed a test that hasn't yet started elsewhere.

BMAT (BioMedical Admissions Test)

CAT (Classics Admissions Test)

ELAT (English Literature Admissions Test)

HAT (History Aptitude Test)

MAT (Mathematics Admissions Test)

MLAT (Modern Languages Admissions Test)

OLAT (Oriental Languages Aptitude Test)

PAT (Physics Aptitude Test)

TSA (Thinking Skills Assessment)

TMUA (Test of Mathematics for University Admission) - No discussion until start of December

Test-takers should not post test questions or discuss answers, or post the test paper(s). These restrictions will extend to discussions about exams' tested content, specific questions or question numbers and provisional test answers or mark schemes.

This, however, does not mean all discussion about these exams will be restricted: it's okay to talk about having just sat the test, or whether or not you found it difficult. What is not okay is giving away any information that might cause one student to have an unfair advantage over another.

For example:

"I found it hard" and

"I found question 2 hard" and

"I found question 2 about <insert subject> hard"

These restrictions will be in place from 09:00 BST on Saturday 9 September until 17:00 GMT 24 November.

In the interests of yourselves and your fellow students, and in the interest of maintaining the fairness of the test, please avoid discussion as outlined above during this timeframe.

PLEASE NOTE: this rule applies to any form of discussion, including, but not limited to, PMs (Private Messages).

If you see anyone breaking these rules, please report them by using the report button.

Good luck to everyone sitting these exams!

Taken in September (Saturday 9 September)

BioMedical Admissions Test September (BMAT September)

Taken in November
(Thursday 2 November, with the Test of Mathematics for University Admission, TMUA, being taken on Wednesday 8 November)

Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Celtic Admissions Assessment (ASNCAA) University of Cambridge

Asian and Middle Eastern Studies Admissions Assessment (AMESAA) University of Cambridge

BioMedical Admissions Test November (BMAT November) see list of users here

Classics Admissions Test (CAT) University of Oxford

Economics Admissions Assessment (ECAA) University of Cambridge

Engineering Admissions Assessment (ENGAA) University of Cambridge

English Literature Admissions Test (ELAT) University of Cambridge and University of Oxford

Geography Admissions Assessment (GAA) University of Cambridge

History Admissions Assessment (HAA) University of Cambridge

History Aptitude Test (HAT) University of Oxford

Human, Social, and Political Sciences Admissions Assessment (HSPSAA) University of Cambridge

Mathematics Admissions Test (MAT) Imperial College London, University of Oxford and University of Warwick

Modern Languages Admissions Test (MLAT) University of Oxford

Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment (NSAA) University of Cambridge

Oriental Languages Aptitude Test (OLAT) University of Oxford

University of Oxford Philosophy Test (PHIL) University of Oxford

Physics Aptitude Test (PAT) University of Oxford

Psychological and Behavioural Sciences Admissions Assessment (PBSAA) University of Cambridge

Test of Mathematics for University Admission (TMUA) Durham University, Lancaster University, University of Warwick, University of Sheffield, and London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)

Thinking Skills Assessment: Oxford (TSA) University of Oxford

Thinking Skills Assessment: Section 1 (TSA S1) University of Oxford

The Student Room Community Team on behalf of The Cambridge Admissions Testing Service
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sorry, are you saying there are test-takers out there who can cheat!? I thought everyone (at least the majority) had to sit them on the 2nd November in the morning? Are you saying there are people can who sit them many days later? WTF they're hard enough as they are without cheaters :frown:
Not looking forward to doing the NSAA first thing.
Reply 3
Well that just sucks.....
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Sorry, are you saying there are test-takers out there who can cheat!? I thought everyone (at least the majority) had to sit them on the 2nd November in the morning? Are you saying there are people can who sit them many days later? WTF they're hard enough as they are without cheaters :frown:

International tests mean that Nov 2nd AM in one country will be many hours before Nov 2nd AM in another country.

Discussion is restricted until the test time has passed in all time zones.
Original post by Demayl.18
I have taken OLAT test on 2nd November 2017.

You need to talk to your test centre

Don't discuss the content of the test on TSR until all time zones have taken the test.
Original post by She-Ra
What is not okay is giving away any information that might cause one student to have an unfair advantage over another.

For example:

"I found it hard" and

"I found question 2 hard" and

"I found question 2 about <insert subject> hard"

This seems unclear - was there supposed to be commentary about which of these statements break the rules?
I note that in exams where you can choose which questions you do, it's arguable that knowing a particular question was hard gives an unfair advantage.
Reply 7
What's to stop me from calling a friend in another time zone who has already taken the test and ask for the questions and answers?
Original post by billdrk7
What's to stop me from calling a friend in another time zone who has already taken the test and ask for the questions and answers?

Why would they give you the questions and answers? They're disadvantaging themselves?
Reply 9
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Why would they give you the questions and answers? They're disadvantaging themselves?

I pay them good money? It's not the question of WHY they helped me. It's not impossible for that to happen, right? The thing is it shouldn't be allowed to happen at all.
Do these rules apply only to TSR? :smile: I understand we shouldn't be posting about them in a public forum but I'm in a fb gc where someone discussed questions that were on another paper (that I didn't take) and I'm slightly worried I could be penalised for this.
Original post by StevetheIcecube
Do these rules apply only to TSR? :smile: I understand we shouldn't be posting about them in a public forum but I'm in a fb gc where someone discussed questions that were on another paper (that I didn't take) and I'm slightly worried I could be penalised for this.

I think they're global- I don't know, but if you haven't commented/disscussed them you should be OK

Spoiler

Reply 12

Original post by DreamlinerFinder
I think they're global- I don't know, but if you haven't commented/disscussed them you should be OK

Spoiler

Correct, the guidance is from ATS (the actual exam administrators) not TSR.

However, I'm currently checking when the embargo formally ends. I hope to have an update tomorrow.

For the Oxford tests (e.g. MAT, PAT, HAT, ELAT, TSA, etc) it may not be too much longer.

But for Cambridge's tests (ECAA, ENGAA, NSAA, etc) it certainly remains in force until next October at the earliest and possibly longer (it will depend on your college).
Original post by Doonesbury
Correct, the guidance is from ATS (the actual exam administrators) not TSR.

However, I'm currently checking when the embargo formally ends. I hope to have an update tomorrow.

For the Oxford tests (e.g. MAT, PAT, HAT, ELAT, TSA, etc) it may not be too much longer.

But for Cambridge's tests (ECAA, ENGAA, NSAA, etc) it certainly remains in force until next October at the earliest and possibly longer (it will depend on your college).

So as someone who did not say anything that would help anyone prepare for the test, would I be okay, having been in a group chat where people directly discussed questions? (People in question named essay topics of the TSA) I did discuss my impression of the test, but nothing about what was actually in it or anything that would give someone an advantage if they read it before taking the test.
Reply 14
So as someone who did not say anything that would help anyone prepare for the test, would I be okay, having been in a group chat where people directly discussed questions? (People in question named essay topics of the TSA) I did discuss my impression of the test, but nothing about what was actually in it or anything that would give someone an advantage if they read it before taking the test.

When was this? Realistically I doubt it's a major problem.
When was this? Realistically I doubt it's a major problem.

It was just before midday in the UK :smile: people were discussing which essay they did after they came out of the test, I think, so yeah it's probably not a problem.
Unless of course a Singaporean happened to be in the group.
Hi all,

We're happy for discussion of tests on the Oxford side of things. Even with the timezone differences, everyone should have sat the test by now.
Reply 18
Original post by OxfordMathsDept
Hi all,

We're happy for discussion of tests on the Oxford side of things. Even with the timezone differences, everyone should have sat the test by now.

Thanks for confirming! :smile:

--STATUS UPDATE--

So MAT has been re-opened for discussion (thanks @Notnek)

However we have been asked to keep the other Oxford tests (PAT, HAT, ELAT, TSA, etc) and BMAT "No discussion" for the time being.

The Cambridge admissions assessments (ENGAA, ECAA, NSAA, HAA, PBSAA, etc) remain "No discussion" as per the Cambridge Colleges requirements.

FYI: @DreamlinerFinder @PQ @She-Ra
Thanks for confirming! :smile:

--STATUS UPDATE--

So MAT has been re-opened for discussion (thanks @Notnek)

However we have been asked to keep the other Oxford tests (PAT, HAT, ELAT, TSA, etc) and BMAT "No discussion" for the time being.

The Cambridge admissions assessments (ENGAA, ECAA, NSAA, HAA, PBSAA, etc) remain "No discussion" as per the Cambridge Colleges requirements.

FYI: @DreamlinerFinder @PQ @She-Ra

Whoops - I told some of the PAT lot they were ok to start chatting (and then unwatched the thread and can't find it :o: )

Quick Reply

Latest