What makes you interested in politics?

Watch
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Politics is an extremely really wide topic. From education to defence to the EU, everyone seems to have a strong, unchangable opinion on every topic and stubbornly refuse to change it in any circumstances.

But what really interests you within politics? Is it a particular topic or just an area you find fascinating?
What is your favourite aspect of politics? Is it just debating, or the research behind it or the people themselves?
Could you ever be an MP? Or would you find the constant discussions on certain topics to be a bore?

Discuss below.
Crooky0
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
The vast inequality I see in the world today, the hate, the violence.
shadowdweller
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I honestly don't understand how people can be disinterested in Politics in this day and age; the only real way we can make a difference to policies and issues we dislike is through politics and the stances we take, or people we vote in.
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I loved politics at one point now I kind of hate it, as in I can’t stand the current affairs going on and I’d rather blank it out. So I like politics because of history, even recent history but not because of current affairs, I try my best to keep away from the News. Things that make me angry are what makes me enjoy it, the main thing I hate is that politics is driven by ideology today rather than by consensus reached by voice and opinion. Today’s politics is driven heavily by ideology and if history taught us one thing it’s that when the one side of an ideology gets heated, the opposite side does too leading to more fundamentalists and stronger polarisation - and I think that sums up today’s politics fairly well.

Also I’d enjoy being an MP, it seems like a good job. Even though there will be discussions you don’t want to have, you don’t have to give it your full attention or any at all (hence why so many of them sleep in the HoC)
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm a civil servant and I'm interested in how politics can be used to achieve objectives such as carbon reduction, equity, and opportunity.

I think most politics is boring. Party politics in particular and how it has descended into populism for both the left and right. Im interested in the outcomes and only look at tge process insofar as it can facilitate or act as a barrier to achieving things.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It was the likes of Mrs Thatcher, Enoch Powell and Sir Keith Joseph that made me take an interest in Politics.
Airmed
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Coming from a place that has a circus for a government made me interested in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (118)
33.71%
Yes - a trusted person (95)
27.14%
No (93)
26.57%
I'm not sure (44)
12.57%

Watched Threads