Leaving an Apprenticeship early? Watch

-Elias-
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I've been working a Business Admin apprenticeship for the last 3 weeks (still in probationary period). It's not something I want to do, it was just something I got into so that I could have an excuse to not go university and in the mean time still search for a Degree Apprenticeship.

I just had an interview for a Degree Apprenticeship earlier, and I think it went very well (don't find out till Wednesday).

I was just wondering what would happen if I left my current one without notice? The degree one starts on the 25th if I get it, which even then is too soon for 2 weeks notice considering I find out if I get it on Wednesday.

I also get paid on the 22nd which would coincidentally be my last day if I were to get this degree one. So what would happen if I just never returned after that?

EDIT: I've been told I'd need to pay back my wages/pay the training provider withstanding costs (even with notice provided) but that sounds unlikely? Surely I wouldn't have to pay over a grand to leave a job?
(I know this makes me a bad person or whatever)
bluemadhatter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I left my apprenticeship but that mostly due to health issues. I'd been off sick for over a month and then I resigned. I didn't have to pay back anything and it still counts as experience even though i didn't finish the course. Talk with your manager and they will advice you. Its best to let them know now than later, they can't physically stop you from leaving. Also have a look at your contract if it specifies what happens if you leave without notice or with short notice. Although short notice is much better than no notice.
-Elias-
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by bluemadhatter)
I left my apprenticeship but that mostly due to health issues. I'd been off sick for over a month and then I resigned. I didn't have to pay back anything and it still counts as experience even though i didn't finish the course. Talk with your manager and they will advice you. Its best to let them know now than later, they can't physically stop you from leaving. Also have a look at your contract if it specifies what happens if you leave without notice or with short notice. Although short notice is much better than no notice.
Yeah that's the thing the notice would only be about a week. I suppose you're right, short notice is better than none at all.

If I were to give notice would I:
1. still be paid on the 22nd for that months wages?
2. Definitely be allowed to leave on the 22nd so that I can start the new one on the 25th if I were to get it

Contract is still in the office so will have to have a look on Monday. Booked the day off today for the interview (didn't tell them i was going to one).

Thank you for your reply, sorry to hear about your health issues and hope everything is better now.
bluemadhatter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by -Elias-)
Yeah that's the thing the notice would only be about a week. I suppose you're right, short notice is better than none at all.

If I were to give notice would I:
1. still be paid on the 22nd for that months wages?
2. Definitely be allowed to leave on the 22nd so that I can start the new one on the 25th if I were to get it

Contract is still in the office so will have to have a look on Monday. Booked the day off today for the interview (didn't tell them i was going to one).

Thank you for your reply, sorry to hear about your health issues and hope everything is better now.
Well yeah you have to get paid cause its a month worth of wages and technically they are only suppose to stop paying you the date you resign. So even if you resigned now, you would still get paid for the work you've done, just probably not the full amount.

I'm not sure if you would definitely be allowed to leave but like I said, they can't stop you if you do... Although not sure if that would make them a good reference :lol: Like I said its best to talk to your manager, they will probably be more understanding than you think

Look through your contract on Monday and talk to your manager about it then as well.
paulbarlow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if youve cost them money to provide your training. they can recover that. assuming your over 18. in general your treating your training provider poorly. why start a course you did not want. that prevented another person doing it. will this employer even want to take another on. .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Are cats selfish

Yes (144)
61.28%
No (91)
38.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise