The Student Room Group

Im terrified of dying, what can i do?

Scroll to see replies

I Am very young and have a fear of dying it has got to the point that I Am afraid to sleep I pray to god to show me the light and show me how to not be afraid but I need more help if anyone can respond to this please tell me because I'm only 12 and I Am crying every night now and I'm scared.
Look, I just had the same problem for 2 months until a couple of hours, and what I realized was the following:Look, the nice thing about death is that we cannot control it, sure, if you are healthy you can postpone it for later a bit, if you just drink diet coke and eat burgers every day you will postpone it for a sooner date, and if you commit suicide, well, you are basically saying hi to death.But besides this point, you can't control death. You can think as much as you want, you can get as worried as you want, but the truth is, that by doing that you are not making your death sooner either later.And that's the nice thing, so it's a waste to get worried about your death, you ARE going to die anyway, sooner or later, so why worry it about it? You can't do anything about it! So just enjoy the ride, and enjoy being alive! :biggrin:
I have a huge fear of dying I wake up every morning and feel like something is not right i feel like whatshit the point in us even being hear and most of the time there more like thoughts and how do I stop them you can't they talk to you when your everywhere you feel like there just in your head but when your constantly hearing these thoughts It really doesn't help at all with all these problems that the UK are doing in present time I just want to livearn a peaceful life and have a fun i dont wanna die I'm terrified from at all ... but what can you do !
Dont worry, I have a BIG fear of dying... whenever the question
Don't worry, I have a BIG fear of dying too, I'm so scared when the questions comes up in my head "What happens after I die?" because I WANT there to be a after life, I WANT to remember everything after I die... but i'm so scared... what happens if there is no afterlife? What if you DONT remember everything? What if it will just feel like your sleeping, or have a black vision? And I cry so much worrying about this, because if this does happen, I dont want to die!
Hey omg everything you have said I am going through the same thing and I don’t know what to do it’s taking over my life at the age of 23! The safest place I feel is in my home I suffer really bad anxiety and I’m so scared of dying young or my boyfriend dying as I want us to be together for a long time and raise children I’m petrified of death and not knowing! It gives me panic attacks and sweaty palms and I can’t sleep at night. Everything bad that happens in the world makes me feel worse and Im always thinking will I ever make 50. I hope you get all the help you need as I’m thinking of taking therapy I’m trying to not think about death as I’m like stop being silly you never know you could be here till 60 and I’m my head I see as that life is apart of death to make me feel at ease but I still can’t get over it. It makes me cry everyday and I feel like I can’t be myself anymore.
ah, here we encounter the classic, ignorant, pessimist whose closed mind has lead them to act recklessly and not think of anything other than the headlines spoon fed to their ungrateful arse
Original post by Anonymous
This is like a fear of the sun coming up. Death is inevitable and unchangeable and is a part of life, so better get over this fear sooner rather later. See a therapist.

lol **** off ****
fu@k and c@nt heheh :wink:
Original post by jkls92
I am not afraid of death as I have interiorised stoic theory on this argument.

lol f@ck off then
Reply 30
U got to pray to God to take those thoughts out of ur mind but death is a reality but try not to watch the news or view social media too much u can’t fear it even though it’s scary asf u just can’t let it take over ur mind or it will make u go crazy
Hey hope im not too late! bout to quote cause it wouldn't let me;

"Read the letters to lucilius by Seneca. If you are lazy and unserious about this read abstracts. Stoicism explains why it is irrational to worry about death.

We die everyday. Death is behind us. Every day we live is a day less, we should try to make the most out of it. People live 100 years and haven't done anything valuable or virtuous or significant. They haven't lived 100 years, they have wasted 100 years. Lucan died at 25 forced to kill himself by Nero. But he made use of that time and by the age of 20 had already written his Pharsalia, the best epic of his century (and of many centuries to follow), a book which celebrated not the gods or Rome or caesars, but liberty. Had he written a poem celebrating the imperator, like everyone did, he could have lived longer, but actually he would have wasted his life. Men worry so much about the time they have, yet they dispose of it like it's endless and of no value, they squander time on sleep, inactivity and vile entertainment. We should stop worrying about how long we live, which is out of our control and also unimportant, and start worrying about what is truly meaningful: HOW we live, how we use that time we have.

You ask what is the longest possible lifespan. To live until you reach sageness.

People who die having done what they liked and wanted, what was truly right for them, those are happier in death than you'll ever be in life."

this is cool, i like this. im not going to go ahead an preach what i have learnt myself since it may not be the same for you and who can be asked to be labelled. but i can simplify it to this;

create beauty
end suffering
distract yourself with things that feel good
find faith, if you can
I am the exact same, it’s always at night time I lay in bed and that’s when it hits me most, I have no one to talk to about it which I think is making it worse I suffer with anxiety and panic disorder
I have this as well, it comes out more whenever i'm feeling overly happy or loved up - it really aches my heart to even consider the fact of dying at some point! I would think about it for about 5 minutes and get really anxious and upset, I always think the concept of death is so cruel! Then I would sort of catch myself on and think "its going to happen whether I like it or not so let's not waste time worrying about it". For me, the thought of dying young or anything hurts me because I always think about my family and boyfriend and the pain they would go through!

Also, I've just applied for a postgrad course at the uni i've wanted to go to since I was little (didn't get into it for undergrad and was gutted) and i've began to convince myself that it will never happen - it's too good to be true in the way that even if i get an offer, something terrible will happen and it won't happen!

This is all purely anxiety and as i'm coming out of my anxiety the last few months it's really fading (thank god), so these silly, irrational thoughts are going!
I have just read all the helpful advice. There are a few i believe MIGHT help.I to have been feeling very much like you from the age of 15.seeing psychiatrists and psychologists and other experts for years.trying different mind altering treatment medication.and also E C T. but to no avail. i live by myself and have done for years.sleeping most of the time (escaping from live and thinking) with my helpful and understanding GP i do get a few Diazepam. only for very very severe panic attacks.i always write down when i have taken one and i am monitored. they just take the edge of they are not a cure.i have changed the way i think that it is inevitable.and when i am not low etc i try to make hay while the sun shines.I believe this life cannot be the end that there is a better life when this one ends.Please folks dont say pull yourself together.If anyone has not had or got this has BAD as us they do not know what it is like. The very best to you.Dave.Should you wish to talk direct to me please pm me
I'm sorry but how on earth can you speak to a doctor about death ..... Death is completely normal there's nothing a doctor will do about it that's really stupid you saying that!!
Reply 36
look im not gonna tell u its all gonna be okay and stuff i know i cant relate and ur probs sick and tired of hearing this stuff but one of my close friends has this but she said she cant be cured or anything but just opening up to people and letting it out to the world has made her grt it off her mind a bit more, just a small baby step but hey it can maybe release a bit of the pain
i too am very afraid. during the day, i’m fine. i go about my daily activities and don’t think much about it. if i do think about it, i brush it off. but at night, when i’m all alone in my dark room, it’s all i can think about. something i think that makes my fears worse that i think is worth noting is our recent attachment to technology. for me, at least, this is the case.
we spend so much time now with our heads buried in electronic devices that we become one with them, and forget that we are real people outside of technology.
personally, i’m almost startled sometimes when i remember how fragile my life as a human is, it’s so bizarre to think that this isn’t a permanent state.
something that may work for you that sometimes works for me is to remind myself that we don’t actually know what happens after death, none of us have been there to see it so we just don’t know. try to tell yourself this over and over until it works. our fear could just be a fear of the unknown and in the end, it could be much better than what we expect it to be. as i said before with the rise of technology, we have almost become mere extensions of the devices we use. who knows how far technology will advance in the next few years that we literally do become wired to our devices.....forever.
i’m writing this because i currently am having very bad death anxiety, it’s 3am and i jolted awake once i remembered that my state of being is temporary. if you want to reach out to me privately, i would love to further help you.
People don’t help, I don’t talk to no one bout any of the stuff that happens in my life, I wish I did not do this but I need to bottle it up I don’t know how to let it out and talk to people about it
Original post by ejjk1995
i too am very afraid. during the day, i’m fine. i go about my daily activities and don’t think much about it. if i do think about it, i brush it off. but at night, when i’m all alone in my dark room, it’s all i can think about. something i think that makes my fears worse that i think is worth noting is our recent attachment to technology. for me, at least, this is the case.
we spend so much time now with our heads buried in electronic devices that we become one with them, and forget that we are real people outside of technology.
personally, i’m almost startled sometimes when i remember how fragile my life as a human is, it’s so bizarre to think that this isn’t a permanent state.
something that may work for you that sometimes works for me is to remind myself that we don’t actually know what happens after death, none of us have been there to see it so we just don’t know. try to tell yourself this over and over until it works. our fear could just be a fear of the unknown and in the end, it could be much better than what we expect it to be. as i said before with the rise of technology, we have almost become mere extensions of the devices we use. who knows how far technology will advance in the next few years that we literally do become wired to our devices.....forever.
i’m writing this because i currently am having very bad death anxiety, it’s 3am and i jolted awake once i remembered that my state of being is temporary. if you want to reach out to me privately, i would love to further help you.

Original post by Xxwhytexx99
I'm sorry but how on earth can you speak to a doctor about death ..... Death is completely normal there's nothing a doctor will do about it that's really stupid you saying that!!

I completely agree, I’ll be at home and just relaxing then it hits me. I’m going to die someday, might not be today or tommorow but someday I will die and it haunts over me about how I don’t talk about it and can’t talk about it but I will always think about how I’m not gonna be on this earth forever, I wish I could just forget about it but I don’t and nothing helps, I get depressed and think about dying but my fear of actually dying always stops me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending