?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why would you do a subject you hate just to go to a uni you like? Surely it's better to choose a different subject and do well in it?
Talarfor1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think you'll find all unis want A level chemistry to study medicine as its a big part of the degree
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Talarfor1)
I think you'll find all unis want A level chemistry to study medicine as its a big part of the degree
Not necessarily. There are some universities that don't require chemistry.
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
Why would you do a subject you hate just to go to a uni you like? Surely it's better to choose a different subject and do well in it?
I guess, but if you've had a dream for the past 7 years, would you give up on it so easily just because of an obstacle in your way, or would you try to overcome that obstacle?
Gregor99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur)
Not necessarily. There are some universities that don't require chemistry.
I am pretty sure all undergraduate medical courses apart from foundation degrees require A level chemistry.
82Lala82
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I believe that even if you don't take chemistry A-level, the first two years of any medicine course will involve a lot of chemistry, so maybe you need to reconsider medicine if you hate chemistry that much? If you have reconsidered and still want to do it, I suggest that you take A-level chemistry as will provide you with a solid basis for the course and will make your first couple of years easier - I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be doing extra chemistry on top of what is already a very demanding degree. I do the IB so I don't know what the A-level chemistry course is like, but chemistry is my favourite subject and I didn't particularly enjoy it at iGCSE level so maybe your opinion could change?
Etohan Akpan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Firstly, it is brilliant that you are looking into university options now.

I have a question: why do you hate Chemistry so much? is it due to how it has been taught to you so far?
In my opinion, chemistry is an amazing subject, I am going to do it at A-level now and it is so important for medicine because it teaches you the skills such as being precise and logical which is really important as a doctor.

About the BMAT: the chemistry and physics are A*/AS-level so you should honestly be fine with hardcore revision for about a month.

Due to how aware and determined you are, I am sure you will go on to achieve your dreams!
∆us
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Look at the Chemistry course at A-Level, maybe you will like it. If you are sure you don't want to take Medicine considering taking another degree, as Chemistry is the most essential A-Level available to you to Medicine at uni. Don't feel like you have to take an A-Level even if you don't like the syllabus.
khookie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The majority of medical schools will want A level Chemistry, the only ones I can think of that don't are Newcastle and UEA. Newcastle will require Chemistry at AS or at GCSE grade A. If you want to do Medicine you're going to need to do A level Chemistry, unless you're only going to apply to 2 medical schools.

Also, do you actually know what the UCL medical course is like? They don't have much patient contact in the first 2 years (only 2 mornings in the first year I believe) and you have to undertake a compulsory integrated BSc. You might like the university a lot but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll enjoy the course, and you'll be doing it for 6 years. I also had the same mindset before applying, as I was very set on going to Oxford, but entry to medicine is competitive and you can't guarantee you'll be going to your dream university. Either way, graduate prospects will be the same.
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gregor99)
I am pretty sure all undergraduate medical courses apart from foundation degrees require A level chemistry.
Except Universities in Ireland
Gregor99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by M4cc4n4)
Except Universities in Ireland
Good point, sorry. All Uk medical schools for MBBS/BMBS/MBChB require chemistry A level.
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gregor99)
Good point, sorry. All Uk medical schools for MBBS/BMBS/MBChB require chemistry A level.
They don't require it and you will cover what is necessary in First Year plus If I remember correctly Fees are only €3000 a year atleast until Brexit for Medicine in RoI
Gregor99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by M4cc4n4)
They don't require it and you will cover what is necessary in First Year plus If I remember correctly Fees are only €3000 a year atleast until Brexit for Medicine in RoI
Most UK undergraduate medical courses (A100/A106) require A level chemistry for 2018 entry apart from
University of East Anglia- Biology and Chemistry/Physics + a third A level.
Keele- 3 A Levels including Chemistry/Biology and a second science
Manchester- 3 A levels including Chemistry/Biology and a second science A level.
Newcastle- 3 A levels to include chemistry/biology and 2 other A levels. If chemistry/ biology not taken at A level then must have achieved an A at GCSE.
Queen Mary university of London- 3 A levels to include chemistry/biology and a second science.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

For UK medical schools fees for UK/EU students are £9,250 per year except if you are Scottish/EU student applying to a Scottish university then it is free.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (47)
24.35%
Less motivated (146)
75.65%

Watched Threads