Turn on thread page Beta

Do You Think Homosexual Males Are Born Homosexuals' Or Is It A Choice? watch

ReputationRep:
    Musicman, you better put on a hat or something, you're sounding dangerously open minded!

Just kidding, I have no intention to argue with you again, and in any case don't think I have any need to. You appear to be acknowledging the straight-guys perspective unusually well for this type of subject!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Hard to say, and depends how you use the words. It could be nature in the sense of it being a "natural/programmed" disgust, though it could possibly be argued that it is nurture in the sense that the disgust is "as a consequence" of being straight, though to be honest these are basically the same thing!
    No they're not.
    Most people when contemplating the idea sleeping with anyone they don't fancy probably feel disgust.
    "Backs against the walls lads" disgust its slightly different - it's almost an over-compensatory emotion that arises from not wanting anyone to think your a bender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    It's not unfair and I included myself in that as well - nobody, at the moment, knows what causes homosexuality, so until there's hard scientific evidence, nobody does know what they're talking about, hence I stand by what I said. Saying that, there's nothing wrong with debating it, hence why I am joining in.
    Oh, sorry - i see what you mean, now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    No they're not.
    Most people when contemplating the idea sleeping with anyone they don't fancy probably feel disgust.
    "Backs against the walls lads" disgust its slightly different - it's almost an over-compensatory emotion that arises from not wanting anyone to think your a bender.
    I hadn't thought of it like that, but what are you saying, nature/nurture?

ReputationRep:
    No they're not.
    This is the nurture side of it - that people are taught to view homosexuality as disgusting by peer pressure.

ReputationRep:
    This is the nurture side of it - that people are taught to view homosexuality as disgusting by peer pressure.
    Yes, that's what I was getting at. If this kind of "hyper-heterosexual" emotion can be nutured why can't any other form of sexual emotion be nurtured?

ReputationRep:
    Musicman, you better put on a hat or something, you're sounding dangerously open minded!

Just kidding, I have no intention to argue with you again, and in any case don't think I have any need to. You appear to be acknowledging the straight-guys perspective unusually well for this type of subject!
    Well I am aware of the straight guy's view, though I don't feel that having this view should directly result in a prejudice against gay people. For example, I find the thought of straight-sex disgusting but am not a "heterophobe" to use your terminology!

I agree....I'd rather not argue about this again.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right. I'd say nature for the most part, though I guess for some insecure/unsure individuals nurture may have a stronger effect.

What about the other way around, homosexuals like yourself being disgusted by heterosexual sex?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's what I was getting at. If this kind of "hyper-heterosexual" emotion can be nutured why can't any other form of sexual emotion be nurtured?
    Because the "backs to the wall" attitude is an over-compensation that the person is not gay and doesn't want to be considered as effeminate: it isn't a sexual emotion. And anybody who is gay deep-down but who is placed into this environment of hating gay people will not suddenly turn straight due to peer pressure - even if he feels he has to appear heterosexual on the surface, there will be no denying the sexual feelings he has towards his own sex underneath it all.

ReputationRep:
    they'll go to hell, they go to hell and they'll die!

Sorry i keep remember Mr Garrison's opinions on gay people

What does it matter if ya born gay or just develop (? can't think of the right word) into being gay. You're still gay so theres no reason to worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    What about the other way around, homosexuals like yourself being disgusted by heterosexual sex?
    Well I think we're confusing the issue here. I'm not disgusted that people have heterosexual relationships - more, the thought of myself having a heterosexual relationship is disgusting. For example, if I were watching TV and a man and a woman were "canoodling" so to speak, it wouldn't be disgusting to me in the same way that many men would claim that seeing two men kiss on tv is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    You're still gay so theres no reason to worry about it.
    But nobody's saying there is a reason to worry about it, we can still debate the issue.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am aware of the straight guy's view, though I don't feel that having this view should directly result in a prejudice against gay people. For example, I find the thought of straight-sex disgusting but am not a "heterophobe" to use your terminology!

I agree....I'd rather not argue about this again.
    True, though it's often difficult to draw the line. I personally find the idea of (male) gay sex disgusting, but would not say I am prejudiced against gay people. Many homosexuals however (possibly yourself included at one stage) would not take this viewpoint.

Oh, and I used the word "heterophobe" rather flippantly in an effort to point out the overuse of an obvious other word, it was not to be taken literally!

Moving on!

ReputationRep:
    Because the "backs to the wall" attitude is an over-compensation that the person is not gay and doesn't want to be considered as effeminate: it isn't a sexual emotion. And anybody who is gay deep-down but who is placed into this environment of hating gay people will not suddenly turn straight due to peer pressure - even if he feels he has to appear heterosexual on the surface, there will be no denying the sexual feelings he has towards his own sex underneath it all.
    OK fair enough, yes, it's not a sexual emotion.
    Here's another thing I was just thinking about.

OK... lots of women will admit to fantasising about having sex with another woman, but also say that they would probably feel disgusted if they actually went through with it.

I can't see how either nature or nurture would fix onto this? Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    they'll go to hell, they go to hell and they'll die!

Sorry i keep remember Mr Garrison's opinions on gay people

What does it matter if ya born gay or just develop (? can't think of the right word) into being gay. You're still gay so theres no reason to worry about it.
    I don't think anyone's worrying about it - I just think we'd like to know why it happens that some of us are gay and some of us are straignt? What's wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    True, though it's often difficult to draw the line. I personally find the idea of (male) gay sex disgusting, but would not say I am prejudiced against gay people.
    I personally find the thought of oral sex absolutely vile, unnatural and disgusting, though am not prejudiced against those who have oral sex, so I kind of see what you mean here. Though people must recognise that gay people take so much flack, it's hard not to be defensive and hyper-sensitive about the issue; when somebody says what you do is disgusting it's only natural to defend oneself.

ReputationRep:
    OK fair enough, yes, it's not a sexual emotion.
    Here's another thing I was just thinking about.

OK... lots of women will admit to fantasising about having sex with another woman, but also say that they would probably feel disgusted if they actually went through with it.

I can't see how either nature or nurture would fix onto this? Any ideas?
    It would depend on whether or not the woman was saying she thinks it's disgusting just to prevent others from thinking she's a lesbian. It is also important to recognise that many fantasies are just that - fantasies which would open up a fresh can of worms if they were acted out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone's worrying about it - I just think we'd like to know why it happens that some of us are gay and some of us are straignt? What's wrong with that?
    Oh sorry, i don't mean to say there is anything wrong with debating it, i'm just saying that in the end what does it really matter.

ReputationRep:
    I personally find the thought of oral sex absolutely vile, unnatural and disgusting
    Why do you find this act unnatural and disgusting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Why do you find this act unnatural and disgusting?
    I can't say....i don't know - it's just my personal taste really. Is it relevant?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.