The Student Room Group

korean war

what was the impact of the korean war for the usa
Original post by mohameddalghous
what was the impact of the korean war for the usa

Hi there,

You could argue that it established the current tension between both nations. After all, North Korea (a dictatorship) was essentially attempting to wipe out South Korea (democracy), this was something the US knew couldn't happen, purely because if NNorth Korea had succeeded then they would've probably tried to push further on. Of course, that's more my opinion than anything else. I'd suggest getting some books ('The Coldest War' rings a bell) on the subject, or asking your history teacher for good resources to research.

Regards
Original post by KieranAdam
Hi there,

You could argue that it established the current tension between both nations. After all, North Korea (a dictatorship) was essentially attempting to wipe out South Korea (democracy), this was something the US knew couldn't happen, purely because if NNorth Korea had succeeded then they would've probably tried to push further on. Of course, that's more my opinion than anything else. I'd suggest getting some books ('The Coldest War' rings a bell) on the subject, or asking your history teacher for good resources to research.

Regards

It meant the USA had a puppet state in the east to help stop the spread of communism. It is a classic example of american imperialism in the 20th century. Most South Koreans speak a mix between korean and english now and i think that this has helped the spread of degeneration. As much as North Korea is failing at least they still have their sovereignty.

The war was an invasion of South Korea by Kim Il Sung who managed to take control of half of Korea and destroy the "capitalist pigs". The war was arguably provoked by south korea and the west because of the Truman Doctrine and increased millitary presence.
Fair play. The Korean War was not my forte hahahahaha. Did you copy this from Wikipedia hahahahaha. I'm just kidding, thanks for giving the guy a better answer.
Original post by KieranAdam
Hi there,

Regards

Wasn't there a US backed dictaror in South Korea? (USA usually so does this)

I dont think you both are answering OPs question as he says impact on America.

Social - soldiers dieing
Political - lost trust in Truman, the 2nd Red scare
Economic- and costs of the war??

I am probably wrong as Korea is always the one I know nothing about compared to Vietnam lol
Original post by Historian1889
It meant the USA had a puppet state in the east to help stop the spread of communism. It is a classic example of american imperialism in the 20th century. Most South Koreans speak a mix between korean and english now and i think that this has helped the spread of degeneration. As much as North Korea is failing at least they still have their sovereignty.

The war was an invasion of South Korea by Kim Il Sung who managed to take control of half of Korea and destroy the "capitalist pigs". The war was arguably provoked by south korea and the west because of the Truman Doctrine and increased millitary presence.

thankyou very much

Quick Reply

Latest