The Student Room Group

Favourite Maths/Physics Books

What are your favourite Mathematics and/or Physics books? I'm trying to arrange a Maths/Physics 'to-be-read' list for next month and I'm open to any suggestions; undergrad textbooks, normal books, novels!
(edited 6 years ago)
I know and own really a lot of those books, but they are all written in German by German authors and published in Germany, so Idoubt it helps you, unless German is your mother tongue.
Original post by Geodesic
What are your favourite Mathematics and/or Physics books? I'm trying to arrange a Maths/Physics 'to-be-read' list for next month and I'm open to any suggestions; textbooks, normal books, novels!

Best A level Physics textbook. https://www.gceguide.xyz/files/e-books/a-level/Cambridge%20International%20AS%20and%20A%20Level%20Physics%202nd%20ed.pdf
Reply 3
Original post by Kallisto
I know and own really a lot of those books, but they are all written in German by German authors and published in Germany, so Idoubt it helps you, unless German is your mother tongue.

Actually that would be great! I'm trying to get my German to a good level and even though I wouldn't be able to read them right away, that would be a good motivation to improve and I'd like to read them eventually.
Reply 4

Sorry, I should've been more clear but I'm looking for textbooks more at the undergraduate level, so if you have any recommendations for that that'd be great too, but thank you very much for the recommendation anyway!
Are you going into a Physics degree? Some of the books recommended to me by my uni (Bristol) for first year Physics are;

Tipler and Mosca - 'Physics for Scientists and Engineers'
Feynman Lectures on Physics
Schaums Outline on Calculus

among other things.
I really liked '44s in a 4 door' by James Gleick. Was enlightening and got me to grips with my physics AS course. Got it off amazon for £19.99, would deffo recommend
Reply 7
Original post by Pidge Gunderson
Are you going into a Physics degree? Some of the books recommended to me by my uni (Bristol) for first year Physics are;

Tipler and Mosca - 'Physics for Scientists and Engineers'
Feynman Lectures on Physics
Schaums Outline on Calculus

among other things.

Hi thanks a lot for these! I've just got the Feynman Lectures and I'm really enjoying it so far and I'll definitely check out the others.

I'm on a gap year right now so I'm mostly trying to keep up with Physics/Maths on my own whilst travelling/working.
Actually that would be great! I'm trying to get my German to a good level and even though I wouldn't be able to read them right away, that would be a good motivation to improve and I'd like to read them eventually.

My, my! German as foreign language at least. Okay, I will get the names out and name at this place for you. Maybe some of them exist in English languages and publication. I will let you know.
Sorry, I should've been more clear but I'm looking for textbooks more at the undergraduate level, so if you have any recommendations for that that'd be great too, but thank you very much for the recommendation anyway!

Sorry haha. No undergrad books
Reply 10
Original post by Kallisto
My, my! German as foreign language at least. Okay, I will get the names out and name at this place for you. Maybe some of them exist in English languages and publication. I will let you know.

Thank you very much!
Reply 11
What are your favourite Mathematics and/or Physics books? I'm trying to arrange a Maths/Physics 'to-be-read' list for next month and I'm open to any suggestions; undergrad textbooks, normal books, novels!

Jim Al-Khalili's "Quantum" is a great read if you haven't started the QM modules in your course yet (some unis leave it as late as year 3/4) - really helped me understand it all and it also provides a nice balanced discussion on the different interpretations that are floating around.

If you want some science fic to read, Alastair Reynolds is hands down my favourite author. I'd recommend his newer "Poseidon's Children" triology or the classic Relevation Space series, though these are harder to get into. He writes "hard" science fiction (i.e. abides by real laws) which makes for a very interesting take on a society in the future.
Reply 12
Original post by Ed5
Jim Al-Khalili's "Quantum" is a great read if you haven't started the QM modules in your course yet (some unis leave it as late as year 3/4) - really helped me understand it all and it also provides a nice balanced discussion on the different interpretations that are floating around.

If you want some science fic to read, Alastair Reynolds is hands down my favourite author. I'd recommend his newer "Poseidon's Children" triology or the classic Relevation Space series, though these are harder to get into. He writes "hard" science fiction (i.e. abides by real laws) which makes for a very interesting take on a society in the future.

Thanks a lot for these recommendations! They all seem very interesting, especially "Quantum", as I need some guidance on how to approach and understand QM, so that will definitely come in handy. Thanks again!
Thank you very much!

So, have found a book which is originally written in English: mathematics in the making

A very old (1960), but good one. It is written by Lancelot Hogben. It contains a lot of the history of mathematics and even some cultures are introduced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending