The Student Room Group

18+ only - Is flirty banter with your boss ok?

Sorry only want replies from adults!

I started my first job recently (I am 21 y/o graduate) and my boss is 27. I don't fancy him and have no idea if he fancies me but our relationship is fun with a bit of flirty banter. We still get our work done. I would never go there seriously because I don't fancy him and it would just be weird but I enjoy the rapport we have in this respect. My only concern is that others at work will think it's inappropriate. My team are pretty cool and fun, we all get on, but this is my first job and I have no idea whats normal or acceptable... and it seems people at work can often get a bit funny about things. It's more the people outside of my team that I'm concerned about. He has complimented my appearance several times.

There is never anything sexual talked about, it's all PG flirting.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
we're both single btw! so there's no issue there
I would reply but you 'only want replies from adults!'.

Ps. Why adults only??
I don't see anything wrong with it; with PG-rated banter.

:smile:

Think you just need to tell them that they're overthinking things if someone asks, or that it's just a bit of fun; harmless. They're not the boss of your job either.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 12ksmith
I would reply but you 'only want replies from adults!'.

Ps. Why adults only??

because I would like people experienced with full time work and boss-subordinate relationships to answer :smile: also teenagers aren't likely to have been in similar situations and if they have then that is very worrying considering the likely age gap.
Reply 5
Original post by Rorschach II
I don't see anything wrong with it; with PG-rated banter.

:smile:

Think you just need to tell them that they're overthinking things if someone asks, or that it's just a bit of fun; harmless. They're not the boss of your job either.

ok! it's just there are people higher up than him that they could complain to and people can be really strange sometimes
Original post by Anonymous
because I would like people experienced with full time work and boss-subordinate relationships to answer :smile: also teenagers aren't likely to have been in similar situations and if they have then that is very worrying considering the likely age gap.

'Teenagers' include people who are nineTEEN - you can leave education at 18. Meaning some teenagers will of experienced first time work. As well as this I'm sure many 18/19 year olds have been in a similar situation to you. How exactly is this worrying as they are past the age of consent?
ok! it's just there are people higher up than him that they could complain to and people can be really strange sometimes

You can meet some really weird people out their in the workplace.
I remember working in a factory a few years ago where the female lab manager walked into the fitters shop and tore down a calendar featuring topless girls saying that she found it offensive, those guys had had those calendars on the workshop wall for 40 years, and saw absolutely nothing wrong in it (the calendars are supplied by a local engineering firm to all of their customers)... So they were obviously peeved and complained to their manager, he retaliated by marching into the office of the all female sales team and removed the pictures of male pinups.. The sales executive was furious about having her Brad Pit / chippendale pictures removed, and one hell of a shitstorm ensued.... resulting in a company wide ban on pinups and naked/topless pictures.... No-one won except the female lab manager (a typical middle aged, middle class, feminist, lefty), everyone else was pissed off.

What I am getting at here is that everyone will have a different opinion on what is or is not acceptable in the workplace... you have to tread carefully, especially in these politically correct left wing times that we are in now..

On the one hand have a good rapport with your boss, and the occasional laugh and giggles is ok, healthy even... But beware because you never quite know what others are thinking, your biggest threat will not be the men but any older women, especially if they secretly fancy the boss. In my experience older women get insanely jealous of a good looking guy flirting with women younger than them.
(edited 6 years ago)
I would say be careful. Some colleagues may start to think you're getting special treatment from the boss when it comes to workload or other things and may start to get cold with you.
Reply 9
'Teenagers' include people who are nineTEEN - you can leave education at 18. Meaning some teenagers will of experienced first time work. As well as this I'm sure many 18/19 year olds have been in a similar situation to you. How exactly is this worrying as they are past the age of consent?

i literally said 18+ in the title of my thread lol, fairly obvious I'm talking about teens under this age.
i literally said 18+ in the title of my thread lol, fairly obvious I'm talking about teens under this age.

Yes, but you then went on to say teenagers
Original post by Stunted Elf
You can meet some really weird people out their in the workplace.
I remember working in a factory a few years ago where the female lab manager walked into the fitters shop and tore down a calendar featuring topless girls saying that she found it offensive, those guys had had those calendars on the workshop wall for 40 years, and saw absolutely nothing wrong in it (the calendars are supplied by a local engineering firm to all of their customers)... So they were obviously peeved and complained to their manager, he retaliated by marching into the office of the all female sales team and removed the pictures of male pinups.. The sales executive was furious about having her Brad Pit / chippendale pictures removed, and one hell of a shitstorm ensued.... resulting in a company wide ban on pinups and naked/topless pictures.... No-one won except the female lab manager (a typical middle aged, middle class, feminist, lefty), everyone else was pissed off.

What I am getting at here is that everyone will have a different opinion on what is or is not acceptable in the workplace... you have to tread carefully, especially in these politically correct left wing times that we are in now..

On the one hand have a good rapport with your boss, and the occasional laugh and giggles is ok, healthy even... But beware because you never quite know what others are thinking, your biggest threat will not be the men but any older women, especially if they secretly fancy the boss. In my experience older women get insanely jealous of a good looking guy flirting with women younger than them.

this workplace thing is a whole new world to me! I don't think topless pics are really appropriate in a place of work but the way the woman reacted is really not normal or sensible. it seems to bring out an odd side to people... or maybe we all get more uptight and antisocial as we get older!
Yes, but you then went on to say teenagers

context, my dear. most people take it into consideration :smile: otherwise conversations would be very long winded.
context, my dear. most people take it into consideration :smile: otherwise conversations would be very long winded.

Meh...

Btw I'm not your 'dear' :smile:

Being as you can enter the workforce full-time at 16, this thread really is relevant to anyone 16+
It sounds unprofessional for both you and your boss. Your boss should be behaving and you should not be reciprocating with the flirting.

You are still young, so here is some advice:

If you are even slightly attractive and your boss is specifically giving you attention, he almost definitely wants to sleep with you. The only outcome is that you get together and stay happily ever after, however, you have already stated that you are not interested.

So, what could go wrong?

He makes an advance at some point and you turn him down = work issues.
You stop flirting with him, but maybe with another member of staff, he gets jealous = work issues.
He gets tired of flirting/pursuing you and focuses his attention on perhaps a new girl, you get jealous = work issues.
You continue flirting and your team or other work colleagues have problems with it = work issues.
A colleague or colleagues get jealous that you are getting attention from your boss or vice-versa = work issues.

Etc, etc. There are so many things that can go wrong and this is a potential HR time bomb.

You have also mentioned others at work taking issue; trust me they are watching and if this continues and they feel it is getting out of hand or that you are getting a pass from him, it will cause problems. Even a situation where you go for an internal promotion over a colleague that he isn't flirting with and you get it, there may be doubts over whether you deserved the promotion or if it was something else. Or if you are given a specific task over someone else. There may be a perfectly legitimate reason, but in some situations, people may incorrectly attribute favoritism.

If this is your first real job, it can be a bitter pill to swallow, but you are there to work and not make friends. By all means be pleasant and helpful, but try to be aware of the dynamics. I have seen the fall out of work relationships going sour many times and it usually ends up with one of the parties being separated from the other or the team.

Another way to think of it is if there was a hidden camera and your big boss or an investor or a client witnessed the exchanges, would they think it was ok?

At the end of the day. you are both adults and can do what you want. If your relationship matures and you do end up together, great; but I strongly recommend that whilst you are work you carry yourself professionally.
Original post by Stunted Elf
Being as you can enter the workforce full-time at 16, this thread really is relevant to anyone 16+

don't want advice from 16/17 year olds. i'm a 21 year old graduate and we live different lives. if you are 16, working full time and flirting with your boss, then that is a whole different problem, since (s)he is unlikely to be younger than 24. and YES i am SURE there are exceptions where someone is a boss to others below this age but stop derailing the thread with extreme circumstances.

also who I'm aiming my question at really is not the point of this thread!!
Reply 17
It's not professional if it's in the office.

Still a bit weird outside of the office, I wouldn't ever do that with a colleague.
I'm 14 boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii #rebel
Original post by R3negade
It sounds unprofessional for both you and your boss. Your boss should be behaving and you should not be reciprocating with the flirting.

You are still young, so here is some advice:

If you are even slightly attractive and your boss is specifically giving you attention, he almost definitely wants to sleep with you. The only outcome is that you get together and stay happily ever after, however, you have already stated that you are not interested.

So, what could go wrong?

He makes an advance at some point and you turn him down = work issues.
You stop flirting with him, but maybe with another member of staff, he gets jealous = work issues.
He gets tired of flirting/pursuing you and focuses his attention on perhaps a new girl, you get jealous = work issues.
You continue flirting and your team or other work colleagues have problems with it = work issues.
A colleague or colleagues get jealous that you are getting attention from your boss or vice-versa = work issues.

Etc, etc. There are so many things that can go wrong and this is a potential HR time bomb.

You have also mentioned others at work taking issue; trust me they are watching and if this continues and they feel it is getting out of hand or that you are getting a pass from him, it will cause problems. Even a situation where you go for an internal promotion over a colleague that he isn't flirting with and you get it, there may be doubts over whether you deserved the promotion or if it was something else. Or if you are given a specific task over someone else. There may be a perfectly legitimate reason, but in some situations, people may incorrectly attribute favoritism.

If this is your first real job, it can be a bitter pill to swallow, but you are there to work and not make friends. By all means be pleasant and helpful, but try to be aware of the dynamics. I have seen the fall out of work relationships going sour many times and it usually ends up with one of the parties being separated from the other or the team.

Another way to think of it is if there was a hidden camera and your big boss or an investor or a client witnessed the exchanges, would they think it was ok?

At the end of the day. you are both adults and can do what you want. If your relationship matures and you do end up together, great; but I strongly recommend that whilst you are work you carry yourself professionally.

thanks this is really great advice. I guess I just have to remember work relationships are not the same as making friendships on the outside... and there are boundaries? is this right??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending