• Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

This is long...

Hello everyone! My name is TheEyeOfBaradDur, and welcome to my new GCSE Grow Your Grades blog!

Let me introduce myself!

I am 14 years old and in year 11. I was moved up a year from year 8 to year 9, and so I'm now in year 11, 1 year younger than the rest of year 11.

My subjects --
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Triple Science
Religious Education
History
Spanish
ICT
Statistics

My current grades --

English Language - 6
English Literature - 7
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 8
Religious Education - 5
History - 6
Spanish - 8
ICT - 5
Statistics - B

My predicted grades --
English Language - 7
English Literature - 8
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 9
Religious Education - 7
History - 7
Spanish - 8
ICT - 7
Statistics - A*

The grades I want --
English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 9
Religious Education - 7 (I honestly dont care about RE, we're just forced to take the damned subject, so I don't care what grade I get)
History - 7
Spanish - 8
ICT - 7
Statistics - A*

I have already done my statistics GCSE, seeing as our school does statistics in year 10 (so effectively I took it 2 years earlier, when I was 13). I got a B, although my predicted grade was an A*. However if you know what that paper was like, you will understand why I got a B. That paper was absolute dog****. (Sorry, it was)

What I plan to do after I finish my GCSEs --After I finish my GCSEs, I plan to go on to Sixth Form at 15, taking Biology, Maths and another subject that I still have to decide. I then am going to take a gap year, because I cannot go on to university at 17. In my gap year, I am going to travel the world (if my parents allow me), or if not, sleep and play CS:GO.
At university, I am going to go to medical school, because I want to become a doctor, preferably a radiologist. I would love to go to UCL, but I have yet to decide for certain.

What I do in my free time --
Geometry Dash
Badminton
Swimming
Piano

What books, movies and comics I like --
My favorite book series is Harry Potter, and I love both the books, and the audiobooks. I also love the movies, but personally I think the books are better.
I also like JRR Tolkien, which includes The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings. I love the movies. I prefer the book of The Hobbit, but I think the movies of the Lord Of The Rings are a bit better.
My favorite movies are the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, like The Avengers series. I haven't read the comics, but I would love too.
My favorite comics are The Adventures Of Tintin. Yes, I know they are for children, but I still love them.

What academic stuff I like --
English - JRR Tolkein
Maths - Algebra
Science - Medicine
Religious Education - Nothing
History - The Cold War
Spanish - Speaking
ICT - Programming

I want to grow my grades!

So, I know that this was a very long post, but hopefully this tells you a bit about me.

Comment what you think, and any advice you have about how to grow my grades, and get the 10 9s that I want.
HoldThisL
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can highly recommend sleep and playing CS:GO.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
I can highly recommend sleep and playing CS:GO.
Lololololol thanks!
PP112
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I suggest to pick chemistry but not physics. Chemistry is an important part of medicine and literally all med schools require chemistry but physics isn't required and not very useful.
Who said the BMAT was just chem and bio???
This is what the BMAT is...
"The first section assesses your problem solving skills. The second assesses your knowledge and application of GCSE chemistry, biology, physics and maths. Finally, the third assesses your ability to write a coherent and balanced essay usually discussing a controversial statement or an ethical issue."

It only uses a tiny but of GCSE physics with no a level knowledge required which I'm sure a bright person like you can handle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur)
Spoiler:
Show

This is long...

Hello everyone! My name is TheEyeOfBaradDur, and welcome to my new GCSE Grow Your Grades blog!

Let me introduce myself!

I am 14 years old and in year 11. I was moved up a year from year 8 to year 9, and so I'm now in year 11, 1 year younger than the rest of year 11.

My subjects --
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Triple Science
Religious Education
History
Spanish
ICT
Statistics

My current grades --

English Language - 6
English Literature - 7
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 8
Religious Education - 5
History - 6
Spanish - 8
ICT - 5
Statistics - B

My predicted grades --
English Language - 7
English Literature - 8
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 9
Religious Education - 7
History - 7
Spanish - 8
ICT - 7
Statistics - A*

The grades I want --
English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 9
Religious Education - 7 (I honestly dont care about RE, we're just forced to take the damned subject, so I don't care what grade I get)
History - 7
Spanish - 8
ICT - 7
Statistics - A*

I have already done my statistics GCSE, seeing as our school does statistics in year 10 (so effectively I took it 2 years earlier, when I was 13). I got a B, although my predicted grade was an A*. However if you know what that paper was like, you will understand why I got a B. That paper was absolute dog****. (Sorry, it was)

What I plan to do after I finish my GCSEs --After I finish my GCSEs, I plan to go on to Sixth Form at 15, taking Biology, Maths and another subject that I still have to decide. I then am going to take a gap year, because I cannot go on to university at 17. In my gap year, I am going to travel the world (if my parents allow me), or if not, sleep and play CS:GO.
At university, I am going to go to medical school, because I want to become a doctor, preferably a radiologist. I would love to go to UCL, but I have yet to decide for certain.

Geometry Dash
Badminton
Swimming
Piano

My favorite book series is Harry Potter, and I love both the books, and the audiobooks. I also love the movies, but personally I think the books are better.
I also like JRR Tolkien, which includes The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings. I love the movies. I prefer the book of The Hobbit, but I think the movies of the Lord Of The Rings are a bit better.
My favorite movies are the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, like The Avengers series. I haven't read the comics, but I would love too.
My favorite comics are The Adventures Of Tintin. Yes, I know they are for children, but I still love them.

English - JRR Tolkein
Maths - Algebra
Science - Medicine
History - The Cold War
Spanish - Speaking
ICT - Programming

So, I know that this was a very long post, but hopefully this tells you a bit about me.

Comment what you think, and any advice you have about how to grow my grades, and get the 10 9s that I want.
I'm in year 11 too (I supposed to be moved up a year when I first came into the country, but I couldn't speak any English so I stayed and I am actually15)

What exam boards are you doing? I have lots of materials and we could (potentially) share

Spoiler:
Show

My current grades and subjects are:
Eng Lit (AQA) - 9 [predicted 9]
Eng Lang (AQA)- 9 [predicted 9]
Maths (AQA)- 8 [predicted 8]
Chemistry (AQA) - 7 [predicted 8]
Physics (AQA) - 8 [predicted 9]
Biology (AQA) - 8 [predicted 9]
History (AQA)- 7 [predicted 8]
Art (AQA)- 7 [predicted 7]
Music (Edexcel)- 7 [predicted 8]
RE (Educas)- 8 [predicted 9]

I highly recommend starting your revision fairly early, and attending as many revision sessions as you can fit in. Our new GCSEs require a lot of memorising of information, so getting as much of it stored in your long-term memory is a must.

Also, do practice questions. Being able to answer questions effectively is really important, especially in essay based subjects such as English and HIstory, were you want to write concisely but effectively. Knowing how to structure your answers is very important. Also, remember that our exams will have a lot more problem solving apply-your-knowledge type questions, so getting those right is very important, especially in Maths and Sciences were marks are easily lost on 4-6 mark questions.

Finally, work on topics that you're struggling with first. Get them down and sorted and it will save you a lot of trouble.

10 9s is a very ambitious goal you've got there. Bear in mind that only 20% of those who got 7 or above will get 9s, and only about 25% of those sitting the exam will be awarded that grade, then, mathematically speaking, you're trying to be in top 5% of the entire country for 10/11 of your subjects. It isn't impossible, but it's important to set yourself realistic goals.

Please, please, please, don't be one of those people who is disappointed when they *only* got 6 9s, 3 8s and one 7. Please. You're doing exceptionally well for your age, and if you maintain good learning and hard work, you'll have excellent grades.

Hope this helped
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thrillanthropist)
I'm in year 11 too (I supposed to be moved up a year when I first came into the country, but I couldn't speak any English so I stayed and I am actually15)

What exam boards are you doing? I have lots of materials and we could (potentially) share

Spoiler:
Show

My current grades and subjects are:
Eng Lit (AQA) - 9 [predicted 9]
Eng Lang (AQA)- 9 [predicted 9]
Maths (AQA)- 8 [predicted 8]
Chemistry (AQA) - 7 [predicted 8]
Physics (AQA) - 8 [predicted 9]
Biology (AQA) - 8 [predicted 9]
History (AQA)- 7 [predicted 8]
Art (AQA)- 7 [predicted 7]
Music (Edexcel)- 7 [predicted 8]
RE (Educas)- 8 [predicted 9]

I highly recommend starting your revision fairly early, and attending as many revision sessions as you can fit in. Our new GCSEs require a lot of memorising of information, so getting as much of it stored in your long-term memory is a must.

Also, do practice questions. Being able to answer questions effectively is really important, especially in essay based subjects such as English and HIstory, were you want to write concisely but effectively. Knowing how to structure your answers is very important. Also, remember that our exams will have a lot more problem solving apply-your-knowledge type questions, so getting those right is very important, especially in Maths and Sciences were marks are easily lost on 4-6 mark questions.

Finally, work on topics that you're struggling with first. Get them down and sorted and it will save you a lot of trouble.

10 9s is a very ambitious goal you've got there. Bear in mind that only 20% of those who got 7 or above will get 9s, and only about 25% of those sitting the exam will be awarded that grade, then, mathematically speaking, you're trying to be in top 5% of the entire country for 10/11 of your subjects. It isn't impossible, but it's important to set yourself realistic goals.

Please, please, please, don't be one of those people who is disappointed when they *only* got 6 9s, 3 8s and one 7. Please. You're doing exceptionally well for your age, and if you maintain good learning and hard work, you'll have excellent grades.

Hope this helped
Hi! Thanks for the reply!

My exam boards are --
English - AQA
Maths - AQA
Science - AQA
History - Edexcel
RE - AQA
ICT - AQA
Spanish - Edexcel

I've done revision since the beginning of year 10. My life is revision. I make notes, do questions, watch videos, do more questions... . I also write loads of essays. I like writing essays.

With regards to the title of the thread, that was a mistake. I've reported the thread and asked the mods to change it to "TheEyeOfBaradDur's Journey To Good Grades"

Thanks a lot for the advice!
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi! Thanks for the reply!

My exam boards are --
English - AQA
Maths - AQA
Science - AQA
History - Edexcel
RE - AQA
ICT - AQA
Spanish - Edexcel

I've done revision since the beginning of year 10. My life is revision. I make notes, do questions, watch videos, do more questions... . I also write loads of essays. I like writing essays.

With regards to the title of the thread, that was a mistake. I've reported the thread and asked the mods to change it to "TheEyeOfBaradDur's Journey To Good Grades"

Thanks a lot for the advice!
Did you sit the Physics/Bioligy papers in year 10? what grades did you get?
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
good luck have fun
username2896864
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Woo, good luck ~ can you tag me in please :excited::groovy:
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thrillanthropist)
Did you sit the Physics/Bioligy papers in year 10? what grades did you get?
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 5
Physics - 6
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Batgirl98)
Woo, good luck ~ can you tag me in please :excited::groovy:
Thanks! Also, what's "tagging someone in"?
username2896864
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks! Also, what's "tagging someone in"?
No problem I'll demonstrate by tagging you in this post lol TheEyeOfBaradDur
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Batgirl98)
No problem I'll demonstrate by tagging you in this post lol TheEyeOfBaradDur
Lol cool, sorry. I'm a bit new here.
username2896864
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lol cool, sorry. I'm a bit new here.
Oh that's alright :hugs:nice to meet you btw
GoldAndFreeWifi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

This is long...

Let me introduce myself!

My subjects --
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Triple Science
Religious Education
History
Spanish
ICT
Statistics

My current grades --

English Language - 6
English Literature - 7
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 8
Religious Education - 5
History - 6
Spanish - 8
ICT - 5
Statistics - B

My predicted grades --
English Language - 7
English Literature - 8
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 9
Religious Education - 7
History - 7
Spanish - 8
ICT - 7
Statistics - A*

The grades I want --
English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 9
History - 7
Spanish - 8
ICT - 7
Statistics - A*

Geometry Dash
Badminton
Swimming
Piano

English - JRR Tolkein
Maths - Algebra
Science - Medicine
History - The Cold War
Spanish - Speaking
ICT - Programming

following! great thread good, luck with the 9s! It's ambitious but you'll get there. I'm also in year 11, here's the link to my thread, we could support eachother through gcses
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4927702
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Spoiler:
Show

This is long...

Let me introduce myself!

My subjects --
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Triple Science
Religious Education
History
Spanish
ICT
Statistics

My current grades --

English Language - 6
English Literature - 7
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 8
Religious Education - 5
History - 6
Spanish - 8
ICT - 5
Statistics - B

My predicted grades --
English Language - 7
English Literature - 8
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 9
Religious Education - 7
History - 7
Spanish - 8
ICT - 7
Statistics - A*

The grades I want --
English Language - 8
English Literature - 8
Maths - 9
Triple Science - 9
History - 7
Spanish - 8
ICT - 7
Statistics - A*

Geometry Dash
Badminton
Swimming
Piano

English - JRR Tolkein
Maths - Algebra
Science - Medicine
History - The Cold War
Spanish - Speaking
ICT - Programming

Good luck! Can't believe you were moved up a year :shock: How's everything going?
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
OMFG guys, I'm so sorry for being so inactive. I'm going to try to be way more active from now on.

So, let me fill you in on what's been happening in the past few months.

Our history teacher cannot teach to save her life. I'm being serious: For the last 3 Saturdays she dragged us into school for 6 hours, but she didn't teach us at all. She actually hired someone to teach for her while she sat around and ate custard bloody creams. Everyone's grades have dropped loads since she came to teach and everyone's complaining about her.
Spoiler:
Show

If anyone is good at history please message me. We are doing the Vietnam War, Civil Rights, the Cold War and Richard and John.

Our Spanish teacher was off sick for a few months and we had some cover teachers. Although they knew a bit of Spanish, cover teachers will always be cover teachers so we didn't do well. This isn't our teacher's fault or our fault but either way, we've still got about half the course to learn before our exams which are in May.
On a good note, I managed to write a 5 page English Language Paper 1 Section B essay. Size 12 font and 1.15 spacing. That's the creative writing section where we have to write a picture. I'm really proud of that because before I was just writing 1.5-2 pages (size 12, 1.15 spacing) and now hopefully I'm learning to do better.

So, yeah. That's about it. As I said I hope to be more active, and I'm sorry for not posting.

xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (48)
35.56%
I really love the subject (36)
26.67%