Could i do Computer science online- URGENT!!

Watch
Danny7867
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, i am in Y11 and i have some dilemmas mainly because of my school. When i was choosing options my teacher stated that you had to have a grade 7(in year 9!!) to do computer science. I did not choose it and a year later i see people who were doing the foundation course in maths doing computer science. I really want to do computer science i am unsure on my next step. Could i do an igcse and then an A-level and would this reduce my chances of getting into a elite university(oxbridge etc).Right now i am comfortably a grade 8 in maths.Please help as i really need some advice
Reversed Flash
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Alright, Computer Science is a complex subject, even at GCSE stage. If you have a good background with computers such as good programming skills to think abstractly (abstraction) or the ability to disperse a problem and write an algorithm and learning and the knowledge of computer hardware and software such as the hardware, star topology etc then I would definitely take it. However, if you do not then it is best to leave it at GCSE level since you only have a year till GCSE's which is definitely not enough for a Computer Science GCSE qualification. However, if you have a deep interest and desire with the prior knowledge of the subject I definitely would say "Go for It!". Also please do not stress out as this is GCSE level.
Danny7867
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Reversed Flash)
Alright, Computer Science is a complex subject, even at GCSE stage. If you have a good background with computers such as good programming skills to think abstractly (abstraction) or the ability to disperse a problem and write an algorithm and learning and the knowledge of computer hardware and software such as the hardware, star topology etc then I would definitely take it. However, if you do not then it is best to leave it at GCSE level since you only have a year till GCSE's which is definitely not enough for a Computer Science GCSE qualification. However, if you have a deep interest and desire with the prior knowledge of the subject I definitely would say "Go for It!". Also please do not stress out as this is GCSE level.
could i just do A-level without doing the gcse or would it be extremely hard
Reversed Flash
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Danny7867)
could i just do A-level without doing the gcse or would it be extremely hard
Yes, you can do A-Level computer science without the GCSE for it, as many known specifications (UK boards) do not need you to have any prior knowledge for that subject.
So if you are interested in Comp. Sci. definitely do it as an A-Level as you will have 2 years of sold teaching.
hoixw
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can use teach-ict to learn about GCSE computing. But I would say take an A-level and don't do an igcse.
Aklaol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reversed Flash)
I don't know in what world you think that GCSE Computer Science is "complex", but it's piss easy. The only difficult part is pretty much the programming, and that's because nobody normally bothers to practice programming outside of school.

(Original post by Danny7867)
Hi, i am in Y11 and i have some dilemmas mainly because of my school. When i was choosing options my teacher stated that you had to have a grade 7(in year 9!!) to do computer science. I did not choose it and a year later i see people who were doing the foundation course in maths doing computer science. I really want to do computer science i am unsure on my next step. Could i do an igcse and then an A-level and would this reduce my chances of getting into a elite university(oxbridge etc).Right now i am comfortably a grade 8 in maths.Please help as i really need some advice
OP: If you cannot do it at GCSE, just do it at A-level. You won't be at a disadvantage provided that you can obtain a decent grade in GCSE maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads