The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Psychology 7182 - Paper 1, 2, 3, - 04, 08, 14 of June [Exam discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TerribleGrades
wut so it's just identifying themes? But surely if you tally that it's coding... you're gonna have to tally the data at some point

For themes you i dont think you have to tally it at the end, you just create themes for transcribed data so its converted into quantitative data. It can easily be interpreted from those themes
Reply 61
you might get asked to design a content analysis experiment (similar to a controlled observational experiment)
So you do the normal stuff *it asks*: aim, hypothesis, behavioural categories, method etc.

some thing to include would be inter-rater reliability (getting another psychologist in a separate room to observe the same data and you compare your results and see if you can reach a consensus.)

Is inter-rater reliability the same thing as inter-observer? Also for the statistical testing the booklet says related and unrelated design so how would we know whether its matched pairs or repeated measures for the ones that say related?
Original post by sobiaz
Is inter-rater reliability the same thing as inter-observer? Also for the statistical testing the booklet says related and unrelated design so how would we know whether its matched pairs or repeated measures for the ones that say related?

Inter-rater is type of test-retest method which assesses the external consistency of a test. This refers to the degree to which different raters give consistent estimates of the same behaviour. Inter-rater reliability can be used for interviews.

Note, it can also be called inter-observer reliability when referring to observational research. Here researcher when observe the same behaviour independently (to avoided bias) and compare their data. If the data is similar then it is reliable.

Yeah they mean the same thing.

Matched pairs and repeated measures are related...
Independent groups design is unrelated.
(edited 5 years ago)
Does anyone have a picture of the table with the statistical tests in it?
Reply 64
Yeah they mean the same thing.

Matched pairs and repeated measures are related...
Independent groups design is unrelated.

So when it says like wilcoxon uses a related design, we wouldnt have to mention whether its matched pairs or repeated measures? 858FA064-6134-41CB-9577-DE3B4687432C.jpg.jpeg
Original post by sobiaz
So when it says like wilcoxon uses a related design, we wouldnt have to mention whether its matched pairs or repeated measures? 858FA064-6134-41CB-9577-DE3B4687432C.jpg.jpeg

Yes you would have to mention it as the test used is dependent upon these factors:
Test of difference (experimental method - looks for a difference) - unrelated (independent groups) and related (repeated measures and matched pairs)
Test of correlation (non-experimental) method
Type of data (nominal, ordinal and interval data).

You get a scenario:
This experiment used Chi-squared. Why?
Because well the experimental design is repeated measures (unrelated), it's nominal data and it is testing for a difference.

Other questions could be: What statistical test should be used from this scenario? Well you use the information from the scenario and put it into the table to work it out.

Also: what time are you planning to be up until?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 66
Yes you would have to mention it as the test used is dependent upon these factors:
Test of difference (experimental method - looks for a difference) - unrelated (independent groups) and related (repeated measures and matched pairs)
Test of correlation (non-experimental) method
Type of data (nominal, ordinal and interval data).

You get a scenario:
This experiment used Chi-squared. Why?
Because well the experimental design is repeated measures (unrelated), it's nominal data and it is testing for a difference.

Other questions could be: What statistical test should be used from this scenario? Well you use the information from the scenario and put it into the table to work it out.

Also: what time are you planning to be up until?

But we wouldnt have to clarify whether its repeated measures or matched pairs right? The book doesn’t clearly say the designs that are used so could we just say its unrelated or related
A good way to remember the table for the tests is:

NOI x URT

The column on the left is

1.Nominal data
2.Ordinal data
3.Interval data

The row at the top is

1. Unrelated design
2. Related design
3. Test of association/correlation

That becomes ur table, try to envision it in ur head lol.

Then remember the phrase: Carrots Should Come Mashed With Swede Under Roast Potatoes

This makes up ur tests for each category of data.

Chi-Squared, Sign Test, Chi-Squared
Mann-Whitney, Wilcoxon, Spearman's Rho
Unrelated t-test, Related t-test, Pearson's Rho

I just memorised the table this way so i though i'd share lol. Hope it makes sense x Good luck everyone
Original post by SarahDoesNotCare
A good way to remember the table for the tests is:

NOI x URT

The column on the left is

1.Nominal data
2.Ordinal data
3.Interval data

The row at the top is

1. Unrelated design
2. Related design
3. Test of association/correlation

That becomes ur table, try to envision it in ur head lol.

Then remember the phrase: Carrots Should Come Mashed With Swede Under Roast Potatoes

This makes up ur tests for each category of data.

Chi-Squared, Sign Test, Chi-Squared
Mann-Whitney, Wilcoxon, Spearman's Rho
Unrelated t-test, Related t-test, Pearson's Rho

I just memorised the table this way so i though i'd share lol. Hope it makes sense x Good luck everyone

Good luck!!!!!
Good luck!!!!!

Thank youuuu, you too!!! x
How did it go today guys? :biggrin:
Original post by Evil Homer
How did it go today guys? :biggrin:

What did everyone write for AO1 on the Social Influence 16 marker?

Also, what about improvements to the memory study?
I wrote about NSI and ISI as explanations of conformity.Then on improving the study I suggested using matched pairs instead of independent groups and using a random sample instead of a volunteer sample.
Original post by Amyyy1254
I wrote about NSI and ISI as explanations of conformity.Then on improving the study I suggested using matched pairs instead of independent groups and using a random sample instead of a volunteer sample.

I did this too!! I completely guessed for the improvement question but got the same as you thank god :smile: Did you evaluate Sherif and Asch for A03 in the essay?
Original post by bethanyyyyy
I did this too!! I completely guessed for the improvement question but got the same as you thank god :smile: Did you evaluate Sherif and Asch for A03 in the essay?

I wrote about asch for support of NSI then mcghee and jeevan as a limitation, where I talked about individual differences and n'Affiliators. For ISI I talked about lucas et al support and then evaluated his study as he used a small sample.

Honestly I guessed all the research method questions so don't worry 😂
What were the 2 components of the WMM?
the exam was okay, some questions were easy some hard,
Original post by Sonia2598
What were the 2 components of the WMM?

I put phonological loop then visuospacial sketchpad
What did people put for the correlation coefficient in the psychopathology section?
Original post by bethanyyyyy
I put phonological loop then visuospacial sketchpad

That's what I put 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending