The Student Room Group

Medical School Applications 2018

Hi everyone,

So I need to submit my UCAS form on Monday and I am still not sure where to apply to. I was thinking Edinburgh as one of my options, however, I have heard that they do not take many English people (mainly Scottish and international) and I was wondering if you know if this is true? I was also thinking of Bristol, but my UKCAT score isn't amazing and their competition ratio is so high I don't know if I will stand a chance.... Does anyone know how I could decide between the two?

Thank-you so much!!
I've just started A levels and I can't give real advice, but why wouldn't they give places to English people?
Original post by 82Lala82
Hi everyone,

So I need to submit my UCAS form on Monday and I am still not sure where to apply to. I was thinking Edinburgh as one of my options, however, I have heard that they do not take many English people (mainly Scottish and international) and I was wondering if you know if this is true? I was also thinking of Bristol, but my UKCAT score isn't amazing and their competition ratio is so high I don't know if I will stand a chance.... Does anyone know how I could decide between the two?

Thank-you so much!!

I wouldn't focus so much on the competition ratio. Edinburgh also look at the UKCAT and when I applied (this may have changed now), they liked seeing high scores so I wouldn't apply there if your score isn't amazing. Bristol are very personal statement heavy so only apply there if you have a good PS.

Differentiate them based on your stats and where you have the best option of getting in. Then, if your stats are amazing for lots of Medical Schools, do it by course structure/location etc.
Reply 3
Scottish students pay roughly a quarter of what English people pay and roughly a twenty-fifth of what international students pay. Being a Scottish university, they will not receive many fees from these students. So to ensure that they have adequate funding, they receive many international students because they pay so much more. It is for this reason that I am unsure how many English applications they accept and seeing that my UKCAT score is not amazing, whether I should try applying...
Reply 4
Original post by usycool1
I wouldn't focus so much on the competition ratio. Edinburgh also look at the UKCAT and when I applied (this may have changed now), they liked seeing high scores so I wouldn't apply there if your score isn't amazing. Bristol are very personal statement heavy so only apply there if you have a good PS.

Differentiate them based on your stats and where you have the best option of getting in. Then, if your stats are amazing for lots of Medical Schools, do it by course structure/location etc.

If I got an average of 705 and Band 1, do you think that that is enough for either Edinburgh or Bristol?
My prediction for the IB is 43 with 7,7,7 at my higher levels and I got 10A*s at iGCSEs. I do a lot of extracurricular so hopefully my PS is quite strong
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
If I got an average of 705 and Band 1, do you think that that is enough for either Edinburgh or Bristol?

Should be good enough for Bristol. Remember to focus on your PS for Bristol. I don't know anything about Edinburgh
Reply 6
Hi everyone,

Thank-you so much!!

Just in case anyone is having similar queries to me, I have just found this from Edinburgh. Hopefully, it might be of some use :smile:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/disclosure_of_information_-_sept_2016.pdf
Reply 7
Original post by SGHD26716
Should be good enough for Bristol. Remember to focus on your PS for Bristol. I don't know anything about Edinburgh

Thank-you for replying! Do you have any tips for a personal statement that Bristol might like?
Reply 8
Thank-you for replying! Do you have any tips for a personal statement that Bristol might like?

From the Medical Schools Council document on entry requirements for Bristol, in the personal statement section it says:

"Realistic interest in medicine; life skills; wide range of interests; acts of altruism and voluntary work; communication and interaction skills"

Quick Reply