The Student Room Group

Will my GCSEs hold me back?

I'm currently in year 13 and am considering my options. I did not take my education seriously during my GCSEs and I came out with really mediocre grades

English lit - B
English language - C
Maths - A
Further maths - B
Catering - B
Mandarin - C
Religious studies - C
Biology - C
Chemistry - C
Physics - C
Geography - D
(Btec) Information technology - D*

I went on to do maths further maths and computer science. I got 2 As for maths and further maths and a c in computer science. Computer science was internal. My predicted grades are currently A* and A for maths and further maths, but may be changed to 2 A*. Computing isn't confirmed, but will most likely be a B/C, A at most

I feel like my GCSEs may hold me back from the universities I may want to apply to and I was wondering how much of an issue my GCSEs will be.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Probably not. Really depends on which universities you would like to apply to, and which course.
Original post by Aceofall
I'm currently in year 13 and am considering my options. I did not take my education seriously during my GCSEs and I came out with really mediocre grades

English lit - B
English language - C
Maths - A
Further maths - B
Catering - B
Mandarin - C
Religious studies - C
Biology - C
Chemistry - C
Physics - C
Geography - D
(Btec) Information technology - D*

I went on to do maths further maths and computer science. I got 2 As for maths and further maths and a c in computer science. Computer science was internal. My predicted grades are currently A* and A for maths and further maths, but may be changed to 2 A*. Computing isn't confirmed, but will most likely be a B/C, A at most

I feel like my GCSEs may hold me back from the universities I may want to apply to and I was wondering how much of an issue my GCSEs will be.
Unless you are thinking of oxbridge, you should be fine as long as your as/a levels are high. Most unis ask for a B in maths english and 5 a-cs and thats it. However if you are aiming for russell group you may want to redo eng lang
honestly, it depends on the university. i know this guy who didn't do very well at gcses due to circumstances but got a's and a*'s at a-level, and is now studying at cambridge. just work hard at a-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending