The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Thinking of defering

Hello all,

I'm an international student and I got accepted into a Postgrad Taught MSc at the Business School at Durham University. I am very worried about going because I know that it is a different educational system and I wish to be able to go as prepared as possible. If I go now, I am worried I´ll fall behind in the essay, reports and later on the dissertation.

I am very scared and worried, and I was thinking of deferring to next year so I can take a course in British academic writing and reading in my home country, with hopefully the British council. I want to know what you guys think about this decision; should I risk it and go? See if I can get help from the English Language Centre or should I stay here, study for a year and then go?

I know this is a calculated risk, I may lose my spot at Durham. I'm really not sure what to do.

I am in desperate need of some advice.

Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
You are doing a Postgraduate taught Msc in business. This course is full of international students, many from non-English speaking countries. It seems that you are from a English speaking country, so you would actually have a bit of a advantage. If you are really concerned then you could do the academic english course in the summer, but even that would be overkill. If you need advice, you can contact the university or your home countries student society.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Why would you lose your place? Have you asked them?

If the university grants you a deferral they are obligated to give you that place next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending