I can't do it! Watch

This discussion is closed.
~Sam~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I've been trying to write my English PS all day and I just can't get it to sound good. I have so much stuff to say but I'm just finding it difficult to put down on paper. And I keep starting sentences with "I"
serendipity
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I've been trying to write my English PS all day and I just can't get it to sound good. I have so much stuff to say but I'm just finding it difficult to put down on paper. And I keep starting sentences with "I"
Try starting with a reason why you love english so much, such as its unique power to reach beyond class, gender and racce divisions (for example).
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
There was a handout I was given to make sure this didn't happen. I'll try and find it. Start sentences like having studied...etc
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
okay. here's the game: "write your PS, including the 5 stupid sentences to sound as normal as possible". When you're finished, you can remove them. But it'll get you writing at least.

Here they are:

"I go fishing very regularly, it helps my english because..."
"I believe that English is my best subject because I have been studying it longer than all the others"
"My pet snake can't speak English, so I want to make full use of any potential ability I have"
"If there's any lesson I couldn't fall asleep in, it's English, because..."
"...and that's how verbs were invented"

GOOD LUCK + HAVE FUN
PM me it if you want...
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Just write it! No matter how bad it sounds, get all of those words out of your head and onto the paper. If it's not a full sentence or isn't quite grammatically correct, include it!

Then, leave it for a few hours and go and watch Neighbours.

Then when you come back to it all your ideas will be there and you can play with them to make it make sense.
undercover-ange
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
okay. here's the game: "write your PS, including the 5 stupid sentences to sound as normal as possible". When you're finished, you can remove them. But it'll get you writing at least.

Here they are:

"I go fishing very regularly, it helps my english because..."
"I believe that English is my best subject because I have been studying it longer than all the others"
"My pet snake can't speak English, so I want to make full use of any potential ability I have"
"If there's any lesson I couldn't fall asleep in, it's English, because..."
"...and that's how verbs were invented"

GOOD LUCK + HAVE FUN
PM me it if you want...
That's such a good idea!!! I was finding starting my maths personal statement difficult so what i've started doing is writing a kind of mock advert for myself and then i will make it serious later. I think it does help to begin by messing about with it a bit, as i feel stupid selling myself and going on about my achievements seriously. x
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If your really habving trouble writing it write down lots of sentances you could use like "I did work experiance at xxx" or "I particularly enjoy the xxx aspect of my subject" on a piece of paper. Cut up the piece of paper and randomly arrange the strips. Then move them around until you're more satisfied with the order.

Once you've done this you should have a good idea what you're writing about and in what order. Now just turn the arranged strips into a personal statement.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, I'm having real trouble explaining why the hell I want to study languages. There's no good reason why I like them, they just interest me. But that's not going to sound good
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
If your really habving trouble writing it write down lots of sentances you could use like "I did work experiance at xxx" or "I particularly enjoy the xxx aspect of my subject" on a piece of paper.
Is this a PS for brothel studies?

Ben
shilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When I was writing my personal statement, I started by putting down all my random, jumbled ideas in bullet point form, and then when I really couldn’t think of any more, I went over what I had so far, and got rid of those points which seemed stupid or irrelevant, and grouped together those which were really part of the same general idea, putting them in order, so that they made sense. This then made it easier to see how to link all my thoughts together. Basically, if you just start with bullet points and use them to organise you ideas, and then extend them into full sentences, your PS almost writes itself.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?