Sophiejmortimer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey,
So I graduated from my degree in 2014 which was three years (dance) I now wish to take a degree in either physiotherapy or occupational therapy. I was told by the student loan company that I wouldn't be eligible for any funding as this is my second degree. From looking online and chatting to friends, some people have said the student loans company can support you for four years, does this mean I can get another year from them towards my new degree?. Another option is an nhs bursary/funding but many websites say different things (only funded if you are to be a dentist or doctor) or say funding is for 'medical students'.
I can't be the only one in this situation, I wish to ring the student loan company again but I want to be clued up with options and questions at the ready.
Any help or info would be great!
Marty728678
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you only get an extra year in your original degree (i.e repeat year) have you thought about a masters conversion course (this MSc at Essex (£13,500 Fee will be funded by the NHS) ) for example? Here's a link to the NHS bursary site you might be able to get funding via the NHS.
Sophiejmortimer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Marty728678)
I think you only get an extra year in your original degree (i.e repeat year) have you thought about a masters conversion course (this MSc at Essex (£13,500 Fee will be funded by the NHS) ) for example? Here's a link to the NHS bursary site you might be able to get funding via the NHS.
Thank you, I'll take a look
csko
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Sophie. According to the Open University you can get funding for a second undergraduate degree, but only for selected subjects. http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-a...qualifications. NHS bursaries no longer include OT or physio BSc courses. Your best bet is probably to look for a MSC with pre registration. Currently the funding of health education is under review and may be going through a transition period from student bursaries to student loans. Good Luck!
AltairOne
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As I'm intending to go about Physiotherapy in the near future once I finish my current degree, I thought I'd pass on a bit of research into funding: ''From 1 August 2017, new nursing, midwifery and most allied health students will no longer receive NHS bursaries. Instead, they will have access to the same student loans system as other students. This applies to new students on pre-registration courses (those which lead to registration with one of the health professional regulators).Students who already have a degree and are planning to undertake a nursing, midwifery or allied health profession subject as a second degree will now also have access to student loans through the student loans system.'' (https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ry-reform)Just to clarify physiotherapy falls under ''allied health profession'' (https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/i-a...h-professional) Wish you the best of luck!
CaraLD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2 people told me I wouldn't get funding and one person told me they were 99% sure I would, the best thing to do is to apply and find out. I was told that NHS courses that were previously funded by the bursary are eligible as an exception to the rule against funding second degrees.
CaraLD
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The official gov website student finance calculator lists 'health professional' as a qualifying factor.
Middlesworth29
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm in this same situation now wanting to study a second degree? Just wondering how you got on with it being a year ago?
Catrin21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm looking for funding for a second degree too! Any help out there?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Catrin21)
I'm looking for funding for a second degree too! Any help out there?
Which course are you thinking of studying? Some courses are exempt, which means you can get a second round of Student Finance for them.
Catrin21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Biomedical science with foundation year. I have been accepted for an access course in bioscience so probably will do that, but i would really like to stat the degree in September.
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Which course are you thinking of studying? Some courses are exempt, which means you can get a second round of Student Finance for them.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Biomedical science with foundation year. I have been accepted for an access course in bioscience so probably will do that, but i would really like to stat the degree in September.
Biomedical science is an exempt course I'm afraid, so you may have to self-fund if your chosen university cannot offer you any funding themselves. Maybe try working for a few years to save up and then go back to study.
Catrin21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you for your reply! The inly other problem is my age🙈. Haven't got a lot of years to play with 🤣
Biomedical science is an exempt course I'm afraid, so you may have to self-fund if your chosen university cannot offer you any funding themselves. Maybe try working for a few years to save up and then go back to study.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you for your reply! The inly other problem is my age🙈. Haven't got a lot of years to play with 🤣
Many students go to university later in life, so you won't be the only one. I've had peers in their 50s and 60s, even one who was 78.
Catrin21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Wow that's brilliant. Good for them!!
Many students go to university later in life, so you won't be the only one. I've had peers in their 50s and 60s, even one who was 78.
JasmineChapman
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
hello, so i have just completed my first degree but am going onto do secondary degree in veterinary medicine and was just wondering if you have any advice
Ella2516
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey, i am thinking about doing the same i was wondering how you got on with it?
Free81
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So I'm looking to do a second degree too. I've been researching for years about funding and havent found much to help to be honest. I've also spoken to a few finance depts at unis to see if they know anything I don't and they just confirmed my research. But I heard a couple of years ago you may be eligible for funding for a second degree if it was part time and STEM related, seems the gov.uk website (https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies) says this toon (but note it says "MAY" and "limited"):confused::
:

If you already have a degree
You may be eligible for limited funding in certain circumstances.

You may get limited funding if you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, for example you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree.

You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree in one of the following (or 2 if it’s a joint Honours degree):

agriculture and related subjects
architecture (if it’s a MArch RIBA Part 2 course)
biological sciences
computer science
mathematical sciences
medicine and allied subjects
physical sciences
technologies

If you live in Wales though, there are still some NHS funded courses around... I've applied for Healthcare Science at Cardiff Met but I've also accepted the fact that I may have to suck it up and pay if i don't get an offer there. (Ideally looking at doing genetics.) I'm just about in a position where thankfully, we can just about afford to self-fund. None of the science courses at the uni's i looked at seem to offer a part time option.

It sucks that there is no provisions in place for those who want a career change later in life and to do a second degree.
MelissaGomez42
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by JasmineChapman)
hello, so i have just completed my first degree but am going onto do secondary degree in veterinary medicine and was just wondering if you have any advice
hey, I am doing the same.

I am looking at private loans, there is one called future finance. I am abit worried cause as with all loan companies there is alot of negative reviews about the interest.

I have no other option though. You got any ideas ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (367)
67.09%
No (180)
32.91%

Watched Threads