How long should I do work experience?

Watch
username3492940
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I recently started volunteering at a local charity shop for work experience and so I had something to put on my personal statement. So far, I really hate what I'm doing at the charity shop. Hours are 9am to 4pm every Saturday and all I even do is sort donations out to see what can be sold. We only get like 5-6 bags each day so 95% of the time I usually have nothing at all to do so I'm just sitting down and waiting for over 6 and a half hours. How long should I keep doing this to get a reference for future job applications and for my personal statement? I could manage 6 months but I don't think I could do this every Saturday for a whole year.
4aceman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TobyShorrock)
I recently started volunteering at a local charity shop for work experience and so I had something to put on my personal statement. So far, I really hate what I'm doing at the charity shop. Hours are 9am to 4pm every Saturday and all I even do is sort donations out to see what can be sold. We only get like 5-6 bags each day so 95% of the time I usually have nothing at all to do so I'm just sitting down and waiting for over 6 and a half hours. How long should I keep doing this to get a reference for future job applications and for my personal statement? I could manage 6 months but I don't think I could do this every Saturday for a whole year.
Are the hours really that strict or are you just staying for that long. Generally with volunteering they need you more than you need them, so they're very lenient with timings and days?

Try to maybe go for 3 hours of work instead, or explain to them how you have nothing to do after you're done and they'll let you off early??
Bella65
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends what you're wanting to apply to. Even for courses such as medicine a few months are enough. It's about what you get out of the experience that counts mainly not how long you did it for. Also, maybe to improve your time there you could ask them to leave work for you (I did this), or maybe you should consider volunteering for a shorter period of time (I only did three hours). Or you could get a part time job which is much more valued.

username3492940
Rep:
?
(Original post by 4aceman)
Are the hours really that strict or are you just staying for that long. Generally with volunteering they need you more than you need them, so they're very lenient with timings and days?

Try to maybe go for 3 hours of work instead, or explain to them how you have nothing to do after you're done and they'll let you off early??
Those are the hours I was given when I first started and I only joined 2 weeks ago but I'll probably ask them for much shorter hours towards Christmas because that's when my mock exams start.
username3492940
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bella65)
It depends what you're wanting to apply to. Even for courses such as medicine a few months are enough. It's about what you get out of the experience that counts mainly not how long you did it for. Also, maybe to improve your time there you could ask them to leave work for you (I did this), or maybe you should consider volunteering for a shorter period of time (I only did three hours). Or you could get a part time job which is much more valued.
How long do you think I would need to stay so I can use it as a reference? I'm 17 now and have been applying for part time work since I was 16 and never even had an interview yet. I've probably applied to over 50 jobs now and got nothing. Not even exaggerating.
Bella65
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, in most volunteering places unless they have a specific guideline as to how long someone has to volunteer for, it's pretty much your own choice. You could do it for 2/3 months, or even 6 weeks. That's more than enough for a reference especially considering the hours you volunteer for(not many people do that many hours). And, in regards to your job applications, which way did you apply? Online, or did you go to places and hand in your cv...I suggest that you hand in your CV to places...it gives you more of an advantage as compared to applying online as not many people do that. Hope this helps.

How long do you think I would need to stay so I can use it as a reference? I'm 17 now and have been applying for part time work since I was 16 and never even had an interview yet. I've probably applied to over 50 jobs now and got nothing. Not even exaggerating.
~ Purple Rose ~
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ask them if you can do less hours. There is no point doing it just for your personal statement if you're not actually getting anything out of being there.
Nilima 1992
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username3492940)
Omg, hey I volunteered in a charity shop for a year every weekend. omg it was sooo tiring I thought it would help me get a job in retail but it didn't and she gave me terrible reference never again would I do that. I worked my butt off all the time.
Try volunteering somewhere that actually interests you that can help with your future job
Check on doit.org there are a lot of volunteering options
CheeseIs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say 4 to 6 months.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username3492940)
How old are you?
Id definitely say do it for at least 6 months.
Or find somewhere else to volunteer if you arent enjoying it there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (12)
7.19%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.77%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (27)
16.17%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.37%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (45)
26.95%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (31)
18.56%

Watched Threads