Not a fan of clubs/ heavy drinking all the time?

Watch
CuriousShinigami
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm starting University next Saturday (16th) :excited::shock:

I do like to have some now and then.. like I enjoy a pub atmosphere as I prefer drinking socially.. not getting really drunk and going to clubs however:erm: But I am aware drinking can be a big thing at Uni.. my family refuse to believe I won't be drunk (even though I've been drunk once.. and I'm 19 this December).

I've never been in a club but I have gathered a feel of what they have/involve and it doesn't seem like my thing.. but I've noticed that the wristbands are literally just for clubs - everyone* planning on going to some (if not as many as possible). I can see how you'd make some friends but I don't know whether I would miss out on anything.

I know in the day time I'm going to be meeting people in societies, trying to get to know my flatmates Just a little worried about people maybe thinking I'm odd/antisocial for not going to clubs

What I really want to know is.. will I be missing out? Can I make up for not going to the clubs (or going to very few)?

*people in my chats really talking about their freshers' plans
furiousmushroom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You might change your mind. I'd had maybe two drinks in my life before starting uni. Then I was plastered every night of freshers.

That aside, clubs are not that big a deal. Honestly their main function is for (i) getting laid (ii) getting socially anxious people to talk to each other. There should be plenty of societies and friendship groups which don't revolve around going out.

Clubs can make great memories, but so can a lot of other things, and they'll probably wind up more important. Unlikely you'll make deep or lasting friendships in a club.
CuriousShinigami
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by furiousmushroom)
You might change your mind. I'd had maybe two drinks in my life before starting uni. Then I was plastered every night of freshers.

That aside, clubs are not that big a deal. Honestly their main function is for (i) getting laid (ii) getting socially anxious people to talk to each other. There should be plenty of societies and friendship groups which don't revolve around going out.

Clubs can make great memories, but so can a lot of other things, and they'll probably wind up more important. Unlikely you'll make deep or lasting friendships in a club.
Very true... as I expected I didn't enjoy a nightclub..even if I was drunk.. I spent more time wanting to find people.. I think it could be fun if you dance/sing with people you know.. otherwise it's just expensive and kind of dull..:confused:
I'm still confused how people want to actually want to drink this heavy during the week.. and go to the clubs... I drink with my societies and friends - that is it really

Though I have drank more here.. I prefer the social kind though or otherwise I don't see a point
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (36)
14.94%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.84%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed