The Student Room Group

Suffer from severe anxiety but halls won’t let switch rooms to be with close friends

Currently going into my third year of uni and have suffered with severe anxiety since the death of my grandmother. I took this into account when applying for halls so I requested to be with a friend so I could be reassured that I always had someone around. However even though I applied the moment the application came out they didn’t allocate me correctly however I know other people who applied later get to share with who they requested.

I tried to explain my health situation to my accommodation office and the woman told me in a nutshell that the admin work is too much hassle therefore my request won’t be handled till the end of the first semester.

What are my rights considering I suffer from a mental health problem and I have spoken to them various times but they take no notice of me. Which In turn affects my anxiety!!!
Have you tried speaking to your personal tutor or your student support and advice team? They might be more helpful battling against the accommodation office. I'm sure they will be more than happy to help, especially as it concerns your mental health.
Original post by Kd12345bas
Currently going into my third year of uni and have suffered with severe anxiety since the death of my grandmother. I took this into account when applying for halls so I requested to be with a friend so I could be reassured that I always had someone around. However even though I applied the moment the application came out they didn’t allocate me correctly however I know other people who applied later get to share with who they requested.

I tried to explain my health situation to my accommodation office and the woman told me in a nutshell that the admin work is too much hassle therefore my request won’t be handled till the end of the first semester.

What are my rights considering I suffer from a mental health problem and I have spoken to them various times but they take no notice of me. Which In turn affects my anxiety!!!

Get it in writing from your GP. its the fastest way to get it handled
Did your friend request to be with you as well? I know sometimes in that situation is Person A requests to be with person B but person B doesn't request to be with A.

You might struggle getting switched as it's not as easy as just swapping rooms. They have to make sure the person they're swapping you with is completely happy to swap with you (and that's the difficult part)

Get it from your GP that you have anxiety and that might help speed up the process
Are you in contact with anyone in student services? If not, they might be able to help you, possibly get you to the top of the list for a move.

A GP letter would also help, but you might have to pay for it.

If there isn't a spare room available, it may be that they just don't have somewhere suitable to move you to.

Quick Reply

Latest