CertifiedRaccoon
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am looking at unis's right now and i heard Southampton is alright, but a friend of mine was saying solent is one of the worst Universities of the UK and no one would respect any qualifications you pick up from there.

I am looking to study psychology.
Accordintome
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I went to Solent studied Business Management and I now work for IBM. So that is not true at all. It's not about which uni you go to, it's about what you learn and your attitude. I think Solent has been the best university I been too. Amazing professors who really care about their students, they all do. You are not just a number for them but a person.
username2948416
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Southampton is one of the best universities in the world, and one of the hardest to get into in the UK. It is close to London, and is without the mess, crime, noise, smog and expense of other cities. Facilities are fantastic and the place is safe and friendly. Plenty of 'seaside' activities and great shopping. Yachties love the place, and there is a huge 'hooray' factor, as at Exeter. Solent is nothing to do with Southampton Uni. It is a former HE college and offers more vocational courses. Certain courses are highly regarded, though there are much better choices out there for mainstream subjects. Southampton is a great, southern city, and for this reason, alone, both institutions are bombarded with applications.
Rawkuss
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Southampton Solent is very highly rated for Film and English. Every University has their specialities. Bournemouth would be a better choice for Psychology and Sociology.
username2948416
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CertifiedRaccoon)
I am looking at unis's right now and i heard Southampton is alright, but a friend of mine was saying solent is one of the worst Universities of the UK and no one would respect any qualifications you pick up from there.

I am looking to study psychology.
I think some courses are very good and psychology is one of them. Solent is seen as the poor cousin of the University of Southampton. Most Solent grads and undergrads fail to explain the distinction between the two, and many employers don't realise there's a distinction. Southampton is a great place to be a student. Loads of bars, clubs, restaurants, cinemas and theatres. Great transport and a quick link to London. The New Forest is close....and the sea, for those who love beaches and boats. Southampton is quite a friendly place. Good student accommodation. Great shopping. In terms of 'respect' for a qualification. Solent offer some great courses and it's reputation is growing in many academic areas. Bournemouth University is a lot better and is 30 miles along the coast. Have you though about applying to there?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
12.8%
I need help researching courses (9)
5.49%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
4.88%
I need help with my personal statement (71)
43.29%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (39)
23.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.83%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (13)
7.93%

Watched Threads