The Student Room Group

My predicted GCSE Grades.

Hi.
So I just started year 10 at the start of September (5th) and have received my GCSE end of year 11 9-1 predicted grades. I am taking my GCSE'S in the summer of 19' and my GCSE mocks next summer!
Here are my predicted GCSE grads (as of the start of Year 10)
Maths: 8
English x2: 7
RE: 7
Italian: 6
Combined science x2: 7
Business: 7
Sociology: 7
History: 8

What do you think I'll actually get for my mocks next summer and for my real GCSE's in 2 years time? (I revise for 1.5 hrs per day.)

Thanks!
Reply 1
Predicted grades mean nothing. I was predicted a 5 for English for the end of GCSEs at the start of year 10. I got solid 7s in both my end of year 10 exams.

You can easily get 8s in all your subjects.

Also, I would say don't revise too much. More effectively, make sure you make concise notes on all the subjects, flashcards and read over your work. You don't need to do 1.5hrs a day

(i'm in y11 and do like 1hr a day, most of it is reading over and writing notes lol)
Yeah I agree with you. In my school at the beginning of year 10, they used automatic predictions based on our year 6 SATs (such a bad idea) so like the highest anyone was predicted was a C and that occasional B in science :unimpressed:

Moral of the story: don't let predictions define you :h:

Edit: I should've quoted hoixw here - but the point is if you work hard you'll achieve beyond your predictions.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by shae.m
Hi.
So I just started year 10 at the start of September (5th) and have received my GCSE end of year 11 9-1 predicted grades. I am taking my GCSE'S in the summer of 19' and my GCSE mocks next summer!
Here are my predicted GCSE grads (as of the start of Year 10)
Maths: 8
English x2: 7
RE: 7
Italian: 6
Combined science x2: 7
Business: 7
Sociology: 7
History: 8

What do you think I'll actually get for my mocks next summer and for my real GCSE's in 2 years time? (I revise for 1.5 hrs per day.)

Thanks!

Considering I did absolutely no work in year 10 and came out with mainly A*s, you'll be fine! Predicted grades really don't determine anything

However, make sure your revision is concise for GCSEs, focusing on exams for a month can have a much better impact than half heartedly revising for a year :smile:
If you're revising in year 10 and already predicted 7/8 you're going to do fine. I started revising January year 11 haha :smile:
Hey! Those are some really good target grades to work up to but as was said before me, your target grades are based on your KS2 results and don't really mean anything. I just started year 11 and my target grades have all changed. My target grades at the start of year 10 were mostly 7s and now they have gone up to 8s and 9s based on the progress I made last year. Honestly, don't worry too much about GCSEs right now as you're only just starting your GCSE course. Definitely keep on top of work and if you don't understand anything ask ASAP so you don't have to learn it when you're doing your revision next year.

My plan is to spent the next 3 months "re-learning" material from last year and catching up on anything I missed, as well as organising myself. Then, in December I will start revising as I have mocks in January and from then it will be a lot of revising up until my exams!

In a blink you'll be a year 11 and it's quite a daunting "title" to have.

Good luck, and have fun this year!
Expect mocks to be one/two grades lower than you grade you are aiming for.
Please don't revise now, read over notes from lessons, ask for help if there is some think you don't understand and do homework.
Start revising for mocks next October assuming they are before Xmas and continue work after mocks and work hard from Feb half term around 2hrs a day
I think its really great that you're already revising. I am someone who was homeschooled for my GCSE's so I did IGCSE's. From experience I can say redicted grades are disappointing in every way possible. I was predicted A's and A*s in everything and somehow managed to get from B's to E's and F's. I was extremely disappointed. I understand GCSE's are harder now, so here's my advice: Revise everyday even if its for 20 minutes. Focus on your weak points. Don't focus too much on just one subject; divide your time between each subject. Aim high. The higher you aim (and work hard to aim for that) the higher your grades will be. When it comes to predeicted grades if its possible to raise the predicted grade, do so. If not, create target grades something reasonable, realistic and ambitious at the same time. Don't aim for 9 in English if you aren't going to work hard to aim for that 9. Aim for 9 in Maths if you know that you will work hard for it. Naturally, we do better in Subjects that we enjoy so your personal target grade should be higher in subjects you enjoy because it will be easier to work towards that goal since you enjoy the subject. Time -outs are important. Anything that will help you to get some down time because all the studying will make you hate life. Stressing is ok. When I did my iGCSE's my predicted were high and achievable for me but because everyones' advice to me was to not stress; I didn't. Thus I didn't work as hard as I needed to, because I knew my predicted were high and I was capable of achieving my predicted. I seemed to think I didn't need to work as hard. In my mind I saw it as I didn't have as far to climb since my predicted were high. When you are confident in the content of each subject, then complete pass papers and develop the technique. Its important to analyse the mark scheme so you understand where you will gain the most marks and how. Remember that is what examiner's use to mark the real one. Good Luck! Hope this was helpful.
Reply 8
Original post by username2975726
If you're revising in year 10 and already predicted 7/8 you're going to do fine. I started revising January year 11 haha :smile:

this is super late but how'd it go if you don't mind sharing? I'm currently in y11 :,)

Latest