The Student Room Group

Maths - Transformation question help

The question is

"Find and simplify the equation of the graph obtained when the graph of y=2x^4 is stretched by a scale factor of 2 in the x-direction, about the y-axis".

It isn't a hard question but I haven't done transformations in depth and I just can't get an answer. If someone can explain the steps, would be really appreciated.

Edit: Another question as well,

f(x)= 2x^2+3x-2

When the graph of y=f(x) is translated by 1 unit in the positive x-direction it maps onto the graph with equation y=ax^2+bx+c, where a, b, and c are constants.

Find the values of a, b and c
(edited 6 years ago)
Each point of the new curve will be twice the distance from the y-axis.
Original post by ArcaneMists
Each point of the new curve will be twice the distance from the y-axis.

I got that but I can't understand how to find the equation. What do you do step by step?
The rule is
y = ax -----> y = a(kx) : stretch in x-direction with scale factor of 1/k

For the question above the scale factor is 2 which means 1/k = 2 so k = 1/2.
Then you multiply k value by the initial equation which is y = 2x^4 x 1/2 = x^4.

Hope this helps xx
Original post by Katy Kim
The rule is
y = ax -----> y = a(kx) : stretch in x-direction with scale factor of 1/k

For the question above the scale factor is 2 which means 1/k = 2 so k = 1/2.
Then you multiply k value by the initial equation which is y = 2x^4 x 1/2 = x^4.

Hope this helps xx

Thank you :smile:
For part b) if it's being moved by 1 unit in the right hand side then the function becomes f(x-1). This can be proven if you want for understanding. Anyhow, just replace any x with x-1 and simplify.
Original post by thekidwhogames
For part b) if it's being moved by 1 unit in the right hand side then the function becomes f(x-1). This can be proven if you want for understanding. Anyhow, just replace any x with x-1 and simplify.

That makes sense. Thank
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
That makes sense. Thank

No problem. I would recommend using drfrostmaths for the new spec questions.

Quick Reply

Latest