Is Islamophobia holding back British Muslims from work? Watch

DetectivePeralta
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ce-study-finds

A new study has found that non-Muslims are almost twice as likely as Muslims to be in work (19.8% vs 34.9%) and that half of Muslim households are in poverty.

The study outlined key areas where Islamophobic attitudes may be leading to fewer Muslims being in work:
Students face stereotyping and low expectations from teachers and a lack of Muslim staff or other role models in the classroom.

Minority ethnic-sounding names reduce the likelihood of people being offered an interview.

Young Muslims routinely fear becoming targets of bullying and harassment and feel forced to work “10 times as hard” as their white counterparts to get on.

Women wearing headscarfs face particular discrimination once entering the workplace.
luq_ali
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for this timely posting. There are always those who say institutional racism and discrimination does not exist-a classically racist argument, much like the celebration of The Confederacy, Lost Cause, and State's Rights Movements in the United States. The power of empirical evidence is very useful, as I witnessed when I had the honor of working at The U.S. Department of Justice in the Honors Program and saw how empirical data was used to prove pattern and practice of discrimination cases and to dismantle racism, discrimination, and sexism in various state and federal institutions around the country in singular and class action lawsuits-a major area of work.(well, at least it was, until the chump administration took over)

(Original post by Trapz99)

A new study has found that non-Muslims are almost twice as likely as Muslims to be in work (19.8% vs 34.9%) and that half of Muslim households are in poverty.

The study outlined key areas where Islamophobic attitudes may be leading to fewer Muslims being in work:
Students face stereotyping and low expectations from teachers and a lack of Muslim staff or other role models in the classroom.

Minority ethnic-sounding names reduce the likelihood of people being offered an interview.

Young Muslims routinely fear becoming targets of bullying and harassment and feel forced to work “10 times as hard” as their white counterparts to get on.

Women wearing headscarfs face particular discrimination once entering the workplace.
-Anon 101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
- While there are no doubts incidences of prejudice against Muslims. I doubt Islamophobia is holding Muslims back as the i doubt prejudice is that big of a barrier . Other issues face Muslims that have a far greater impact imo .
Qidjajzmm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Firstly, the only thing holding Muslims back is Muslims. All you need to do is look at the data on Islamic culture in Britain or any other country and you'll see why.

Secondly there is no 'Phobia'. A phobia is a fear of something. Nobody is scared of hiring Muslims, and I think that's an absolutely preposterous claim.
username3181694
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
The answer, obvious to anyone who thinks about it, is that Moslem women from some sects do not leave the home unless in desert garb. They do not speak to non-relatives and certainly do not seek jobs. Moslem men of the same sects do not like mixing with non-believers.

This is a clear handicap in the job market (unless you live in a ghetto (which many of them do, of course).

These people's superstitious beliefs are what hold them back, not the society which they refuse to integrate into.
*Muslim
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ClearSky II)
*Muslim
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...english/moslem
username3181694
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It was showing that it wasn't a word (there was a red line under it) :noway:
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Guardian is as trollicious as the DM. At least the DM doesn't pretend to be anything but trash.
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
*Muslim
I think moslem is an old-fashioned version of the word, but I'm not sure.
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Trapz99)

I'm not sure who it was but someone a short while ago linked a video of a Muslim and a non Muslim going undercover to try and apply for jobs and rent an apartment and the results were very worrying. The Muslim was absolutely being discriminated against for his religion.

Muslims are generally just as hard working as the rest of us, give them a job and they'll work hard. However the problem is a lot of them cannot get these jobs to begin with because of the Islamophobia that exists in our society. It's a little sad that in a country as free and accepting as the UK we still have a problem with religious discrimination.
username3181694
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
I think moslem is an old-fashioned version of the word, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, that's what it said on Google.
Most people use the modern spelling :lol:
lukey67791
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
I'm not sure who it was but someone a short while ago linked a video of a Muslim and a non Muslim going undercover to try and apply for jobs and rent an apartment and the results were very worrying. The Muslim was absolutely being discriminated against for his religion.

Muslims are generally just as hard working as the rest of us, give them a job and they'll work hard. However the problem is a lot of them cannot get these jobs to begin with because of the Islamophobia that exists in our society. It's a little sad that in a country as free and accepting as the UK we still have a problem with religious discrimination.
And so it's nothing to do with the refusal of huge swathes of the Muslim population to integrate into our society, or that 22% of Muslim women have little or no grasp of the English language. The way in which some Muslim women are prevented from working for fear that they might develop some Independence, or that Islam dictates virtually every aspect of the way any Muslim must live their life, that has no bearing on their ability to find work?

Edit: I mean, right now there is a thread with over a hundred responses discussing 'how to avoid haram at university'. Examples of perils that must be avoided include drinking alcohol or tacitly approving of drinking alcohol and 'free-mixing', because heaven's forbid you have a friend of the opposite gender. Is it any surprise that those who follow such a restrictive and repressive ideology struggle to integrate into society and find work?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It was showing that it wasn't a word (there was a red line under it) :noway:
No it wasn't (and no there isn't).
username3181694
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No it wasn't (and no there isn't).
I cba to screenshot it and all, but just try typing "Moslem" and you'll see...
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I cba to screenshot it and all, but just try typing "Moslem" and you'll see...
I did, before I linked you to it.

It is interesting that you are more interested in commenting on an unfamiliar (to you) spelling of a word than in commenting on the subject of the thread, or on what I said about it.
username3181694
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did, before I linked you to it.

It is interesting that you are more interested in commenting on an unfamiliar (to you) spelling of a word than in commenting on the subject of the thread, or on what I said about it.
I know it's a word, but autocorrect didn't :lol:

I'm derailing this thread, I'd better be outta here. I know
it's a word now....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (53)
21.03%
Unconditional if firmed (20)
7.94%
Unconditional if insurance (2)
0.79%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (6)
2.38%
No unconditional offers (171)
67.86%

Watched Threads