The Student Room Group

Economics degree without Maths A level

I'm currently looking at which course I want to pursue at University. I'm currently doing my second year of sixth form, studying History, Economics and English Lit. I've been dead set on doing pure Economics, and I have a list of Unis that allow me to do Economics without a maths A Level. From anyone who is doing economics, can they tell me if the maths involved will be too difficult? I'm not bad at Maths by any means, I just didn't choose it for A Level.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by debruxelles
I'm currently looking at which course I want to pursue at University. I'm currently doing my second year of sixth form, studying History, Economics and English Lit. I've been dead set on doing pure Economics, and I have a list of Unis that allow me to do Economics without a maths A Level. From anyone who is doing economics, can they tell me if the maths involved will be too difficult? I'm not bad at Maths by any means, I just didn't choose it for A Level.

It is important to remember that if the university does not require A-Level Maths, etc., then all the maths needed to succeed on your chosen degree will be taught to you at the beginning.

The mathematics used is mostly calculus (differentiation, integration) in microeconomics and macroeconomics. Econometrics is effectively statistics, but again, you'll be learning about distribution theory, statistical inference, regression, etc. but this will require basic algebra, calculus, and at a push basic use of limits and matrix algebra depending on the university programme in question.
As noted there are programmes which do not require Maths, and this is developed in the course. It would of course be useful to review your mathematical background and do a little bit of preparatory work otherwise. Differential calculus is I understand the main technique, particular various methods of optimization using it. They don't do as much sophisticated integration as in e.g. engineering and physics.

Also bear in mind for e.g. PPE at Oxford, while Maths isn't required 95% of successful applicants have Maths (or Maths and Further Maths). So for the more "elite" courses, Maths is an implicit, if not explicit requirement.
Reply 3
Thank you, that's very useful information. I'm thinking of applying for Economics at Lancaster, do you think even with strong grades I'll have a chance of getting a place without a maths A level? As you said, it's an implicit requirement.
Reply 4
Original post by debruxelles
Thank you, that's very useful information. I'm thinking of applying for Economics at Lancaster, do you think even with strong grades I'll have a chance of getting a place without a maths A level? As you said, it's an implicit requirement.

In all honesty, I do not think not having an AS/A-Level in Maths will be an issue for Lancaster. However, if you wanted, you could email the department and ask how many students taking BSc Economics without an AS/A-Level in Maths to get an idea of their willingness to not need Maths.

From the website, it does state "we teach Economics, and the supporting analytical methods, from first principles", meaning they seem to assume no prior knowledge of economics, maths, or statistics from the outset.
According to Which Uni, 68% of students have A level maths. So around a third of students don't, so you wouldn't be alone. Degree level economics does have quite a bit of maths so just be prepared for it.
At UEA, you don't need a maths A Level to do pure Economics. About 50% of 1st years don't have maths A Level. There are two maths module in the first year, one for those with A Level in maths and one for those without. If you like maths then you could take more quantitative modules, but if you realise maths is not for you then there are many other options you could take instead.
UEA also has support sessions for all 1st year modules where you could ask them to go trough the lectures again.
Can u pls pls pls send me the list of unis that don’t require maths a level for economics thanks so much xx
Original post by laugh72
Can u pls pls pls send me the list of unis that don’t require maths a level for economics thanks so much xx

Do you know any yet
I'm in the same position
Reply 9
Original post by Mosulley
Do you know any yet
I'm in the same position

Original post by laugh72

Loughborough is top 10 in the UK and you don't need A-Level maths and entry requirements are only AAB, however, if you don't do maths they make you take a maths course alongside it
Original post by rose236
Loughborough is top 10 in the UK and you don't need A-Level maths and entry requirements are only AAB, however, if you don't do maths they make you take a maths course alongside it

Oh ok thanks
But my two choices were computing or economics and I have found that I want to do computing
Hi, please send the list of unis that you don't need a math a level to do econ for!!
Reply 12
Original post by student933
Hi, please send the list of unis that you don't need a math a level to do econ for!!

There are too many so it’s quite hard to make a list. You just need to search for economics BA or BAEcon. Those degrees don’t generally ask for maths, it’s only for BSc that you’re asked for maths. Not much difference between BSc and BA. BSc is for people with a strong background in maths, as a result they skip certain modules from BA and may have a few more advanced maths based modules, or so I hear.
Reply 13
Oh ok thanks
But my two choices were computing or economics and I have found that I want to do computing

hey im in the same positon as you guys. where do you plan on doing computer sceince at? i also don't have math a level,
Original post by yali12
hey im in the same positon as you guys. where do you plan on doing computer sceince at? i also don't have math a level,

Leicester
Nottingham
Uni of east Anglia

I'm pretty sure these don't require a level maths
Leicester
Nottingham
Uni of east Anglia

I'm pretty sure these don't require a level maths

Leeds does not require Maths, although you will need an A/7 at GCSE.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Loughborough you need AS math. and uea you need like computing or math to considered. I even emailed them and they said you need at least one of these subject to be considered
I have an A in maths igcse but I hate maths and I don’t wanna do it in Alevels.Firstly,The major I’ll be opting in university is economics and I want to pursue it in a good uni but the problem is that I have to take maths in Alevel alongside economics to get a place at a good uni for economics but I don’t want to take maths.Secondly,if I don’t take maths Alevel can Unis judge me by my maths olevel grade while accepting me in a economics major?Thirdly,Even if I take maths in AS but I’ll drop it in A2...will Maths AS have any significance or importance on my uni applications like will the university advantage me for taking maths at AS level atleast for economics.Thank you and a detailed reply would be appreciated please.
Original post by Ahad67767
I have an A in maths igcse but I hate maths and I don’t wanna do it in Alevels.Firstly,The major I’ll be opting in university is economics and I want to pursue it in a good uni but the problem is that I have to take maths in Alevel alongside economics to get a place at a good uni for economics but I don’t want to take maths.Secondly,if I don’t take maths Alevel can Unis judge me by my maths olevel grade while accepting me in a economics major?Thirdly,Even if I take maths in AS but I’ll drop it in A2...will Maths AS have any significance or importance on my uni applications like will the university advantage me for taking maths at AS level atleast for economics.Thank you and a detailed reply would be appreciated please.

Well Economics is supposedly heavy in maths so if you don't like maths will you enjoy Economics?
University of Leicester doesn't require A-Level maths for an economics degree and neither does the university of sussex
Most "Good" universities will require A-level maths and I don't think they will take AS-Level maths because its not the full course
best thing to do is contact the universities that you would like to go to and ask them for help
Well Economics is supposedly heavy in maths so if you don't like maths will you enjoy Economics?
University of Leicester doesn't require A-Level maths for an economics degree and neither does the university of sussex
Most "Good" universities will require A-level maths and I don't think they will take AS-Level maths because its not the full course
best thing to do is contact the universities that you would like to go to and ask them for help

What about US unis???The problem is like that I’m confident I’ll get a good grade in AS maths but I’m dropping it next year....Plus I have an A in gcse maths so like still now chance at good Unis in UK or US???

Quick Reply

Latest