Turn on thread page Beta

A-Level Chemistry Books watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Could someone please advise me on some good a-level chemistry textbooks to buy. I am currently sitting Scottish Advanced Higher Chemistry which is pretty much similar to A-Level Chemistry.

The textbook should cover some of the following:

Electronic Structure and the Periodic Table
    - The Electromagnetic Spectrum and Atomic Spectroscopy
    - Electronic Configuration and the Periodic Table
    - Covalent Bonding
    - Ionic Lattices, Superconductors and Semiconductors
    - Some Chemistry of the Periodic Table: Oxides, Chlorides and Hydrides.
    - Transition Metals

Principles of Chemical Reactions
    - Stoichiometry
    - Chemical Equilibrium
    - Phase Equilibria
    - Acid/base Equilibria
    - Indicators and buffers.
    - Thermochemistry
    - Reaction Feasibility
    - Electrochemistry
    - Kinetics

Organic Chemistry
    - Hydrocarbons and Halogenoalkanes
    - Alcohols and Ethers
    - Aldehydes, Ketones and Carboxylic Acids
    - Amines
    - Aromatics
    - Stereoisomers
    - Elemental analysis and Mass spectrometry
    - Infrared and Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and X-ray crystallography
    - Medicines

So, are there any good textbooks that will cover most (or even some) of the above.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    If you're on AQA, the Collins series are good - they cover the essentials.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    If you're on AQA, the Collins series are good - they cover the essentials.

Ben
    No they're not, they are seriously lacking good material in some topics and so cannot be relied on if you've not done the work on it before hand. However they can be of some use if just used as revision guides

whatever you do dont get the Nuffield Student's Book. you probably wouldnt as its specific to nuffield, but dont anyway, cos its really crap

our school also lent us "Chemistry in Context" so presumably they thought it was good, but i never used it more than a couple of times.

you might be best off asking your teacher or looking at library ones to see what you like best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    No they're not, they are seriously lacking good material in some topics and so cannot be relied on if you've not done the work on it before hand. However they can be of some use if just used as revision guides
    Collins don't just make those little books - they produce bigger ones as well, one covering AS and one covering A2. I presume you were talking about their revision guides - the only topics which I found to be covered poorly in those were the trends in various oxides and halides (modules 2 and 5) which they gave in table form without good explanation.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    So, should I go for the Collins textbook then?

Will it cover some of the topics I mentioned?

Does anyone have a link to that textbook or its ISBN?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilal786)

Search for it on amazon.

ReputationRep:

ive gt the collins text book for as, and i think it covers most of the information you listed above. it is based on the aqa syllabus, and gives u everything you need to know.
    i had a lack of notes from my teachers, especially for module one and two, and in two weeks (before the exam) i managed to go through that book when i had never read it before and was able to pull out with a B. if i had more time to study it maybe could have had an A (was only five marks off). well differnt things work for differnt people, and im not saying studying a book will get you the grade, but i was seriously worried about messing up AS. the most inportant thing is doing past exam papers tho!
    and so even has examination question (withouht any answers tho), bout three pages for each topic, and other questions for each topic with answers.
    But as ure looking said a-level, im not sure if the as book is what u require. and u are doing scottish highers it may not be based on your syllabus exactly.

u can order it at a book shop, if they dont stock it, check it out if u cant find it online, if its gd u can buy it, otherwise theyll be happy to take it bck...well smiths are neways.

the isbn number for the as one is: 0 00 327753 4
    the isbn number for the a2 one is: 0 00 327754 2

i bought the lil ones too...dint think they were too useful.
    if u want more info PM me!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks a lot for your advice!

I was thinking about either getting the one you mentioned or this one:http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...516673-5994257.

It seems to cover both AS and A2 which would be quite useful. What you think?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Thanks a lot for your advice!

I was thinking about either getting the one you mentioned or this one:http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...516673-5994257.

It seems to cover both AS and A2 which would be quite useful. What you think?
    i cant seem to see anywhere where it tells u the contents in the book. if it looks good, and u reckon its got the info u need, go for it. but ive never used or seen it myself. might be useful.
    arent there any books you could buy, that are actually aimed for your syllabus, made by the exam board or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazzie)
    arent there any books you could buy, that are actually aimed for your syllabus, made by the exam board or something?
    Nope... none at all, except from past papers which will be published for the first time this september.

It totally sucks and makes revising for exams so much harder! The notes we are given are really lengthy and not all need to be learnt for the exam!!

But our teacher said buy an a-level chemistry textbook and he said look out for some heinemann one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Collins don't just make those little books - they produce bigger ones as well, one covering AS and one covering A2. I presume you were talking about their revision guides - the only topics which I found to be covered poorly in those were the trends in various oxides and halides (modules 2 and 5) which they gave in table form without good explanation.

Ben
    Yes i wsa talking about the small revision guides and i'm sure there were many more topics that wernt well covered...oh well

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.