The Student Room Group

difference between double science and triple science (GCSE)

i was wondering what the differences between these two are... is triple science much harder than double science? how many test papers do you need to do for double science and triple science? i heard you get more exam papers if you are doing triple...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlackPink24
i was wondering what the differences between these two are... is triple science much harder than double science? how many test papers do you need to do for double science and triple science? i heard you get more exam papers if you are doing triple...

Double science is two gcses, so you get a core science and additional science gcse, triple science is where you get seperate gcses for biology, chemistry and physics so you get three gcses. So you would sit more exams if you did triple.
When you take triple science you take 9 exams in total. If you take additional science, you take 6. Core science and additional science are 2 GCSEs. Triple science means you get a GCSE in each Biology, Physics and Chemistry. So if you take additional, you get 2 GCSES. If you take triple, you get 5 GCSES. And yes, it's definitely more difficult as you're learning a lot more new content.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BlackPink24

yeah, atm depending on your exam board, im doing aqa, we'll take a total of 9 papers ithink?

3 for physics
3 for biology
and 3 for chemistry

I think in double science you miss one of each, so would have 2 for each science instead.

so basically its just a unit less from each science.

and double science counts as 2 gcses, not 3

EDIT: DONT LISTTEN TO ME IM WRONG LMAO I JUST DID 2 OF EACH SCIENCE THIS JUNE ((3 exaMS were under the old gcse system)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by miniminx3310
yeah, atm depending on your exam board, im doing aqa, we'll take a total of 9 papers ithink?

3 for physics
3 for biology
and 3 for chemistry

I think in double science you miss one of each, so would have 2 for each science instead.

so basically its just a unit less from each science.

and double science counts as 2 gcses, not 3

FOR GOD SAKE YOU DO 2 EXAMS FOR EACH GCSE IN THE NEW SCIENCE 9-1 SYSTEM

So, you do 4 1hr 30 exams if you do double, and 6 1hr 30 exams if you do triple.

You get 3 gcses from triple, 2 from double.

Triple is harder than double.
Original post by hoixw

So, you do 4 1hr 30 exams if you do double, and 6 1hr 30 exams if you do triple.

And I'm fairly sure that everyone does the same topics, but triple in more detail and with extra info.
Reply 6
Original post by Thunder221
And I'm fairly sure that everyone does the same topics, but triple in more detail and with extra info.

Yep, double still do physics, chemistry, and biology.
Original post by hoixw

chill out bludy hell
Reply 8
Original post by miniminx3310
chill out bludy hell

Sorry lol I've got pissed at the amount of people I have to correct on this. My flipping Chemistry teacher didn't know lol.
Triple is definitely harder. Worth doing if you want to do a science at A level.
Original post by claireestelle
Double science is two gcses, so you get a core science and additional science gcse, triple science is where you get seperate gcses for biology, chemistry and physics so you get three gcses. So you would sit more exams if you did triple.

Additional Science no longer exists as a GCSE.
Original post by wastedcuriosity
When you take triple science you take 9 exams in total. If you take additional science, you take 6. Core science and additional science are 2 GCSEs. Triple science means you get a GCSE in each Biology, Physics and Chemistry. So if you take additional, you get 2 GCSES. If you take triple, you get 5 GCSES. And yes, it's definitely more difficult as you're learning a lot more new content.

With the new 9-1 GCSEs there is no longer an Additional Science GCSE. Students can take double Science or individual Sciences.
Original post by Compost
Additional Science no longer exists as a GCSE.

Gosh now I feel old, What has it been replaced with? :smile:
Original post by Compost
With the new 9-1 GCSEs there is no longer an Additional Science GCSE. Students can take double Science or individual Sciences.

Damn. I had no idea
Original post by claireestelle
Gosh now I feel old, What has it been replaced with? :smile:

Back to the system of about 12 years ago of course! Very little is new in the world of education. There's now double Science or individual Sciences so if you want a single GCSE in Science you have to pick Bio, Chem or Physics.
I think how many exams you do depends on the board you are doing. I did triple science edexcel igcse two years ago and I had 6 papers - 2 for each science. I don't know how much harder triple science is than double science but I think its only around a paragraph or more to learn for each topic so it wasn't really that much more work for the extra gcse.
Original post by hoixw
Sorry lol I've got pissed at the amount of people I have to correct on this. My flipping Chemistry teacher didn't know lol.

yeh thats what mine told me, its not a big deal stop getting so vexed bro
For all those who are confused:
Basically If you do Double award with AQA you do 6 GCSEs. There you go. Here's the link with the 2018 dates and papers for double science.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/dates-and-timetables/key-dates/search?collection=aqa-future-key-dates&form=key-dates&query=!keydates&profile=_default&meta_d3=25Oct2017&meta_C_orsand=8464

Instead of it being called additional science and core science, this time it's just called 'GCSE Combined Science: Trilogy.'
Each paper will be 1 hr 15 mins.
There will be 2 papers for each - Biology, chemistry and physic but in the end you will have just 2 GCSEs.

BIOLOGY:
Paper 1: B1, B2, B3
Paper 2: B4, B5, B6
CHEMISTRY:
Paper 1: C1, C2, C3
Paper 2: C4, C5, C6
PHYSICS:
Paper 1: P1, P2, P3
Paper 2: P4, P5, P6

Hope this helps! Everything you need to know will be in the link anyway though.:u::wink:
Is there different levels of test papers in chemistry plz
Original post by Bellasasa666
Is there different levels of test papers in chemistry plz

Yes. Higher and Foundation tiers.

Quick Reply