Psychology exam answer doesn't make sense Watch

Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was looking at this sample exam for psychology and came across this question, I was taught that moral strain was experienced when you had to do something you were ordered to do but don't want to do it because it's immoral or unjust. This answer makes out like moral strain would be experienced if you refused to take orders:

2 Tom is busy with his schoolwork and revision. He is told by his teacher, Mrs Smith, to
make sure he turns up to lessons early so that he can run errands for her. Mrs Smith
orders Tom to do her photocopying and help prepare the classroom for her lessons.
Using agency theory, explain why Tom might have obeyed Mrs Smith’s orders even
though he was busy.

One mark for each point related to agency theory which in
combination provides a logical explanation up to a maximum of
four marks.
The answer must be contextualised with the scenario of
Tom/Mrs Smith/preparing her lessons.
For example:
Agency theory would explain that Mrs Smith is an authority
figure who has given Tom, a subordinate, an order (1) so Tom
would have chosen not to run errands if in an autonomous state,
but will experience moral strain if he refuses to obey (1).
Therefore moral strain will cause an agentic shift and Tom will
become an agent for Mrs Smith (1). Any negative aspects
associated with his obedience, such as not doing his homework,
will be displaced on to Mrs Smith/he will lay the responsibility for
consequences of his obedience such as not doing his homework,
on Mrs Smith (1).
Generic description of obedience theory/research gains no
marks.
Look for other reasonable marking points.
Answers must relate to the scenario.
Generic answers score 0 marks.

I don't know if I'm wrong or I'm reading it wrong or the exam is wrong, can anyone help?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
JessThomas6
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 1122334455667788)
I was looking at this sample exam for psychology and came across this question, I was taught that moral strain was experienced when you had to do something you were ordered to do but don't want to do it because it's immoral or unjust. This answer makes out like moral strain would be experienced if you refused to take orders:

2 Tom is busy with his schoolwork and revision. He is told by his teacher, Mrs Smith, to
make sure he turns up to lessons early so that he can run errands for her. Mrs Smith
orders Tom to do her photocopying and help prepare the classroom for her lessons.
though he was busy.

four marks.
For example:
on Mrs Smith (1).
marks.

I don't know if I'm wrong or I'm reading it wrong or the exam is wrong, can anyone help?
I think they’re implying it’s immoral for a teacher to use a student like this, and therefore moral strain would take place - he knows there will be a consequence if he doesn’t so he does it. If you’re struggling through, ask your teacher
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

though he was busy.

four marks.
For example:
on Mrs Smith (1).
marks.

I know this question as I did A level psychology last year. Honestly the specimen papers are ridiculous. I would imagine the real exam mark schemes are as well which would explain the low grade boundaries along with harsh marking. Honestly exam boards such as AQA are so much easier. Tbh edexcel expect people to think outside the box for some answers which make some questions feel like a guessing game. I think its harsh that edexcel expect people to infer something so articulate and sometimes vaguely related. Excluding my rant I would advise you to focus on the essays and maths as these will get you the most and more definitive marks and aren't marked so stupidly. Honestly I think this marking is the reason the grade boundary for my year was 153/260 or an A* and 93/260 for a C.
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2025)
I know this question as I did A level psychology last year. Honestly the specimen papers are ridiculous. I would imagine the real exam mark schemes are as well which would explain the low grade boundaries along with harsh marking. Honestly exam boards such as AQA are so much easier. Tbh edexcel expect people to think outside the box for some answers which make some questions feel like a guessing game. I think its harsh that edexcel expect people to infer something so articulate and sometimes vaguely related. Excluding my rant I would advise you to focus on the essays and maths as these will get you the most and more definitive marks and aren't marked so stupidly. Honestly I think this marking is the reason the grade boundary for my year was 153/260 or an A* and 93/260 for a C.
I feel like there's so little help for this exam board, i really feel like i can't do well in it
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel like there's so little help for this exam board, i really feel like i can't do well in it
I couldn't agree more about there being no help for it but the fact I was in the same position and ended up with a B on the same specification should give you hope. However you have more past papers than I had, so use this too your advantage. My advice would be to create model essay answers and memorise them word for word and make sure your maths, including the stats tests is on point. Do this and you will get an easy C but most likely a B and possibly an A or A*. I would also advise you to make model answers to generic research methods question and memorise them then if it comes up with a scenario just apply it. Always remember to apply your answer to the scenario as generic answers on their own will score no marks. I hope this advice helps and good luck. Just believe in yourself and try your best, then anything is achievable.
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2025)
I couldn't agree more about there being no help for it but the fact I was in the same position and ended up with a B on the same specification should give you hope. However you have more past papers than I had, so use this too your advantage. My advice would be to create model essay answers and memorise them word for word and make sure your maths, including the stats tests is on point. Do this and you will get an easy C but most likely a B and possibly an A or A*. I would also advise you to make model answers to generic research methods question and memorise them then if it comes up with a scenario just apply it. Always remember to apply your answer to the scenario as generic answers on their own will score no marks. I hope this advice helps and good luck. Just believe in yourself and try your best, then anything is achievable.
Did you have much help from your teacher?? I have possibly the worst psychology teacher ever who rarely shows up to our lessons and has never taught the edexcel specification before.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you have much help from your teacher?? I have possibly the worst psychology teacher ever who rarely shows up to our lessons and has never taught the edexcel specification before.
Yep I had a similar case. My Psychology teacher taught AQA before doing this and just put on videos and made us copy out the text book all the time.
soffsie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
moral strain maybe bc he knows he has schoolwork to do instead??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate