Is it ok to water wash hair every day?

Watch this thread
Kasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
People say that you should not wash your hair everyday -- but does that mean not to wash with shampoo or water itself or both?

I am confused.

Also, I live in Leeds where it rains pretty much round the clock. And we all know what rain does to hair!
crocodile_ears
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
they mean with shampoo, rinsing with water won't really do much (although that depends on your hair type)
JordLndr
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Im a guy and I was wish shampoo every morning.

I use hair product so when I wake up I hate the feeling of the leftover product, and also the messiness.
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Shampoo strips your hair from its natural oils.
I'm not sure if you have ever felt the coat of a dog who is washed far too often, but it feels very waxy and grimey to me.
Plus, the oils are there for a good reason, they nourish your hair. Water washing shouldn't be too bad but I've personally never done it - I feel like I would feel dirtier because all ive done is wet dirty hair lol.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, I wouldn't want to wash my hair with just water. That would feel horrible, as shampoo and conditioner makes it smooth. And if I was going to get my hair wet, I may as well just wash it properly. :P

(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
Shampoo strips your hair from its natural oils.
I'm not sure if you have ever felt the coat of a dog who is washed far too often, but it feels very waxy and grimey to me.
Plus, the oils are there for a good reason, they nourish your hair. Water washing shouldn't be too bad but I've personally never done it - I feel like I would feel dirtier because all ive done is wet dirty hair lol.
Kasa
Rep:
(Original post by crocodile_ears)
they mean with shampoo, rinsing with water won't really do much (although that depends on your hair type)
In terms of stripping the hair of its natural oils?
Kasa
Rep:
(Original post by hannxm)
Yeah, I wouldn't want to wash my hair with just water. That would feel horrible, as shampoo and conditioner makes it smooth. And if I was going to get my hair wet, I may as well just wash it properly. :P
Horrible in what way?
Kasa
Rep:
(Original post by JordLndr)
Im a guy and I was wish shampoo every morning.

I use hair product so when I wake up I hate the feeling of the leftover product, and also the messiness.
And how is your hair?
stirkee
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kasa)
yes, water won't strip your hair of the oils.
Kasa
Rep:
(Original post by stirkee)
yes, water won't strip your hair of the oils.
I heard it just gets greasier quicker
-Eirlys-
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Just putting water on your hair and then drying it, it makes it feel like straw and can get knotted easier.
(Original post by Kasa)
Horrible in what way?
Kasa
Rep:
(Original post by hannxm)
Just putting water on your hair and then drying it, it makes it feel like straw and can get knotted easier.
Hmmm I wonder why that is...
stirkee
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kasa)
I heard it just gets greasier quicker
what do you mean quicker?

Clearly if you're not washing your hair every day then its going to (eventually, depending on how much oil etc you produce) get greasy.

What you can do is wash it every other day with shampoo, and then on the days when you don't use (wet) shampoo use dry shampoo instead
crocodile_ears
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kasa)

Yeah, like it might make your hair a bit less greasy, but it won't strip it the way washing with shampoo everyday might. When you wash your hair too much your hair tries to compensate and creates too much oil, so it gets greasier faster. Washing with shampoo every 2-3 days is fine, and rinsing it with water in-between shampoo days won't do anything bad.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kasa)
Hmmm I wonder why that is...
It depends on the hardness of the water. The harder the water, the more like plastic your hair feels.
JordLndr
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kasa)
And how is your hair?
Perfectly fine, nice and smoothe.
AnnaGlypta
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
They mean with shampoo I reckon.

I have curly hair and only shampoo mine 1-2 times a week. But I rinse with water every day !
Kasa
Rep:
(Original post by AnnaGlypta)
They mean with shampoo I reckon.

I have curly hair and only shampoo mine 1-2 times a week. But I rinse with water every day !
I shampoo twice a week.

One on Wednesday and another on Saturday..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (234)
42.01%
The paper was reasonable (236)
42.37%
Not feeling great about that exam... (51)
9.16%
It was TERRIBLE (36)
6.46%

Watched Threads