The Student Room Group

Advice for application for medicine with mediocre UKCAT

Hey there, I just did my UKCAT and overall I got a 650 with a SJT Band 3. I was really disappointed by how bad I did. I am also planning to do the BMAT later and I currently do the IB with HL Bio, Chem and Psych and SL Math, English L&L and Mandarin. I believe that my predicted score for IB will be somewhere between a 40-42. I really wanted to apply for UCL, Imperial, King's and another college I am not so sure about for medicine. My understanding so far is that King's is extremely picky about the UKCAT and are looking for good scores, would my score be good enough to be considered? and is there any way that my IB score can outweigh it? I would also like to know if it would be advisable with my UKCAT score to go for 2 BMAT schools and 2 UKCAT schools or 3 BMAT schools and 1 UKCAT. I would love any input Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SG28740
Hey there, I just did my UKCAT and overall I got a 650 with a SJT Band 3. I was really disappointed by how bad I did. I am also planning to do the BMAT later and I currently do the IB with HL Bio, Chem and Psych and SL Math, English L&L and Mandarin. I believe that my predicted score for IB will be somewhere between a 40-42. I really wanted to apply for UCL, Imperial, King's and another college I am not so sure about for medicine. My understanding so far is that King's is extremely picky about the UKCAT and are looking for good scores, would my score be good enough to be considered? and is there any way that my IB score can outweigh it? I would also like to know if it would be advisable with my UKCAT score to go for 2 BMAT schools and 2 UKCAT schools or 3 BMAT schools and 1 UKCAT. I would love any input Thanks!

I applied to King's last year and I think the lowest score I saw for interview was around 650. Your IB scores combined with your UKCAT, I'd say chances were 50/50. The SJT Band 3 may be the biggest problem though; take a look at the other UKCAT universities and see how they use the SJT in evaluating candidates.

Wait until you get your BMAT scores and then evaluate.
I would recommend against applying to Kings unless you are really bent on studying there. On some years the average ukcat for an offer holder was above 700.

Quick Reply

Latest