ayby1000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My school doesn't offer further maths GCSE and I really want to do it so I have to do it out of school. I was just wondering, should I get a tutor to teach me or should I try and teach myself the spec? I am quite good at maths, getting at least 95% in all exams at school and a pretty fast learner, but I'm really bad at teaching myself so idk. Is further maths really useful enough to put a lot of time and effort into?
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ayby1000)
My school doesn't offer further maths GCSE and I really want to do it so I have to do it out of school. I was just wondering, should I get a tutor to teach me or should I try and teach myself the spec? I am quite good at maths, getting at least 95% in all exams at school and a pretty fast learner, but I'm really bad at teaching myself so idk. Is further maths really useful enough to put a lot of time and effort into?
If you can get a tutor then I would recommend that.

It's important to realise that getting a 9 in maths is more important than getting a good grade in further maths. So self-teaching further maths should not mean that maths or any other of your GCSE grades is affected.
Loci Pi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did FM out of school in year 10 this June and revised using past papers and CGP books. I don't think it is worth getting a tutor as there is a big overlap in content between FM and 9-1 maths. I told my school in November that I would like to take FM and they entered me for it. In my opinion it is good especially if you are getting bored or not feeling challenged enough by regular 9-1 maths. I got A^ self taught so it is possible, but it took a lot of consistent revision throughout the year. I would recommend learning FM during the school holidays when you do not have revision for other GCSEs so you do not end up stressing yourself out. Since doing FM my 9-1 maths GCSE mock grades have gone from 85% (February 2017) to 98.75% (June 2017) as I now know different and quicker methods to solve GCSE problems.

Just to let you know, some schools may make you pay the entry price for FM, which I believe is about £40, but it may be more expensive for late entries. The entry deadline is around February, I think, and the late entry deadline is around the start of May / end of April. My school and I agreed that if I buy the textbooks and prove that my maths grades were good enough, they would pay for my FM entry.

I started a thread about FM called 'How to get an A^ (distinction) in Further Maths GCSE?' back in May and there was another thread on the Maths help forum called 'Further Maths GCSE A^ questions' or something. They were both very helpful for FM preparation so you might like to check them out if you decide to take FM.

Good luck if you decide to take FM. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Loci Pi)
I did FM out of school in year 10 this June and revised using past papers and CGP books. I don't think it is worth getting a tutor as there is a big overlap in content between FM and 9-1 maths. I told my school in November that I would like to take FM and they entered me for it. In my opinion it is good especially if you are getting bored or not feeling challenged enough by regular 9-1 maths. I got A^ self taught so it is possible, but it took a lot of consistent revision throughout the year. I would recommend learning FM during the school holidays when you do not have revision for other GCSEs so you do not end up stressing yourself out. Since doing FM my 9-1 maths GCSE mock grades have gone from 85% (February 2017) to 98.75% (June 2017) as I now know different and quicker methods to solve GCSE problems.

Just to let you know, some schools may make you pay the entry price for FM, which I believe is about £40, but it may be more expensive for late entries. The entry deadline is around February, I think, and the late entry deadline is around the start of March / end of April. My school and I agreed that if I buy the textbooks and prove that my maths grades were good enough, they would pay for my FM entry.

I started a thread about FM called 'How to get an A^ (distinction) in Further Maths GCSE?' back in May and there was another thread on the Maths help forum called 'Further Maths GCSE A^ questions' or something. They were both very helpful for FM preparation so you might like to check them out if you decide to take FM.

Good luck if you decide to take FM. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any.
Great advice

I have to disagree with one thing though but it's just my opinion:

I don't think it is worth getting a tutor as there is a big overlap in content between FM and 9-1 maths.
Some of FM is just GCSE maths extension but there are quite a few new topics. Some students like yourself can self-teach and get an A^ but a lot of students (even grade 9 students) would find a lot of the topics hard and struggle when applying their knowledge to papers. I would say it is better to have a tutor than not.
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Great advice

I have to disagree with one thing though but it's just my opinion:

Some of FM is just GCSE maths extension but there are quite a few new topics. Some students like yourself can self-teach and get an A^ but a lot of students (even grade 9 students) would find a lot of the topics hard and struggle when applying their knowledge to papers. I would say it is better to have a tutor than not.
Ok. You're probably right. I found matrices really confusing for ages as I didn't understand what they were used for.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Loci Pi)
Ok. You're probably right. I found matrices really confusing for ages as I didn't understand what they were used for.
Yes I don't like how matrices are part of the Level 2 FM syllabus. There are applications to transformations but I think a better application would be solving simultaneous equations. Or just don't include the topic at all

Matrices aren't even part of A Level maths (only A Level further maths) so it's strange that they're part of Level 2 FM.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't rate the syllabus at all. You'd be better exploring websites such an NRICH and doing UKMT problems and reading around maths than this GCSE.
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Yes I don't like how matrices are part of the Level 2 FM syllabus. There are applications to transformations but I think a better application would be solving simultaneous equations. Or just don't include the topic at all

Matrices aren't even part of A Level maths (only A Level further maths) so it's strange that they're part of Level 2 FM.
Exactly! I think instead of matrices, the FM syllabus should have introduced integration or something else on C1 / C2. It seemed so odd considering other topics related to transformations were not included on the syllabus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (169)
44.13%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.97%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.09%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.67%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.74%

Watched Threads