studying A-levels with depression Watch

Avvy98
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've just started A2 and already going through a rough patch. Any tips on how to keep motivated and ensure you attend college/do assigned work while struggling with mental health?
Discrepancy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am an over thinker and I am starting A-levels, so I would suggest you calm down and tell yourself that you will get through it. 😊
Attempt2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Avvy98)
I've just started A2 and already going through a rough patch. Any tips on how to keep motivated and ensure you attend college/do assigned work while struggling with mental health?
What helps me is having a routine- like not just for school related, but time tabling in when to go to the gym, when to go swimming. and know even if you don't feel up to it you have to go- like make it something non-negotiable. I find this help you feel like you've got control, or at least for me. Also seeing my care co-coordinator and therapist regularly helps a lot
Hope you're feeling better soon.
Avvy98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Attempt2)
What helps me is having a routine- like not just for school related, but time tabling in when to go to the gym, when to go swimming. and know even if you don't feel up to it you have to go- like make it something non-negotiable. I find this help you feel like you've got control, or at least for me. Also seeing my care co-coordinator and therapist regularly helps a lot
Hope you're feeling better soon.
thank you I'll give it a go x
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm going through A-Levels with depression too, and it sucks. It ruined my GCSEs I just try to surround myself with my friends, and when I get demotivated, think about how amazing it would be to be in my desired uni/job You can message me anytime, I know exactly what you're going through x
elfsprite
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A-levels made me depressed ngl or should I say my school made me depressed/ so stressed
I made the sacrafice to only study/ occasionally go out with friends, but it was worth it
You can do it
Minsun20
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Buddy! I know what your going through. Are you feeling anxious at times and feel your in a little bubble sometimes?. Ive just started year 13 as well and I'm 17 too!!! In year 12, I experienced a VERY similar situation where my first week of school felt like hell and torture. Even though I was at the same school as my secondary school that had a 6th form, I didnt feel like I fitted in with my year friends. I found it hard to fit in with people cause I struggled when anxiety and a few months later, I was told b a psychologist that I had combined "anxiety ad depression". I knew I had some trouble with communication but that didnt stop me from meeting other expletive. Barely anyone in my school year group were new as they were the same people from my previous years. Now I am seeing a therapist for CBT work (Cognitive behavioural therapy) to get negative thoughts out of my head. In m previous years, I have a lot of help such as from my teachers, nurses, my GP, counsellor, social worker and many more. Ive been though a a lot and I can deffo see your point. My closest best friend moved to a different school, So i was left by myself or have a couple of friends (though im not really close to then). I wander if it could be to do with your AS results, forgive me for saying but I dont want you to express your grades if they were bad . Or if its just you had a good summer and trying to get used to a fresh new year. I cried over 30 times last year in front of teachers and my head of 6th form about how isolated ive been feeling and not being able to speak to someone when needed. My advice would be to go to see your head of the year group or a teacher you really trust. I wasn't able to open up till I felt like breaking down, which I did at the end with my old science teacher that I trusted. Even just handed a little piece of paper with something written on it on how you're feeling can be enough. AS i wrote, your are not alone. Ive been feeling low today during second and third period cause I felt isolated from the year group (as Il like invisible to them). My psychiatrist proscribed me with antidepressants of fluoxetine. I tried it for about 2 months I think then I told them they made me drowsy, so he prescribed a different one. I feel the same as well; when I dont take the medication, I feel better. I didnt take and it during the holidays as i didnt feel the need for them since it was the summer break. Have you thought about taking the medication again as my psychiatrist told me the medication stays in your body for months, which means can make you more depressed. (Which was weird when I heard it). Or what you could do is to speak to a close friend of yours. Tell your parents what you are going through. You don't have to tell them directly in detail. Just saying "Ive had a bad day", or "today wasn't my day", can let your parents know how your feeling. Hope this helps. . My head of 6th form told me I was quite a high minded person as i ALWYS WANTED TO TRY AND GET GOOD GRADES. I did well on my AS's. Whenever I did rubbish or not expected of myself, I WOULD MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF IT AND FEEL BAD... SOZ for caps. Feel free to message me for more detailsX
Leviathan1741
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I went through most of high school, sixth form, and my first year of uni with depression, so I definitely understand how tough it can be. My advice would be to take things one day at a time; a timetable and/or list of things to do can be helpful with making sure you get everything done on time. I'd also recommend doing work little and often, rather than spending long periods of time trying to concentrate, and getting enough sleep, as depression can really drain your energy. If you start feeling worse, then I'd suggest going to the doctor and having a look at coping/treatment options (if you haven't already), and letting your tutors know that you're struggling, so that they might allow you extra time to complete assignments, etc.

Best of luck
Minsun20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I mean, have you thought about taking medication? Sos for missing a bit of it out for you. Also, I'm a type of person who listens to music when I feel isolated and it really helps. One thing I wouldn't advise to do is to keep things in and feel depressed for ages otherwise you might breakdown at a unexpected time. That's what happened to me. It doesn't matter if you are alone or sat by yourself in class or somewhere at school... just know that teachers can help. I have my old science teacher that I trust and sometimes go to and he's always been by my side and gave me some inspiring help and support. Though I usually o more to see my head of sixth former, I still have the backup from my science teacher and I prefer him as my head of sixth form talks for agessssssssssss.
Avvy98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Minsun20)
I mean, have you thought about taking medication? Sos for missing a bit of it out for you. Also, I'm a type of person who listens to music when I feel isolated and it really helps. One thing I wouldn't advise to do is to keep things in and feel depressed for ages otherwise you might breakdown at a unexpected time. That's what happened to me. It doesn't matter if you are alone or sat by yourself in class or somewhere at school... just know that teachers can help. I have my old science teacher that I trust and sometimes go to and he's always been by my side and gave me some inspiring help and support. Though I usually o more to see my head of sixth former, I still have the backup from my science teacher and I prefer him as my head of sixth form talks for agessssssssssss.
hiya, thank you for taking the time to give me advice I'm like you in that I'm always a high-achiever. I got BCC in my AS results (one mark off an A) and I'm happy with these results tbh. I take 20mg of citalopram every night and use rescue remedy and natural remedies for anxiety and panic attacks. my teachers know about my mental health but I never fully opened up to them about why and what I was feeling. I'm scared that I come across as pathetic and whiney. I never want to seen like the anxious kid that's shy and so when speaking to people I always seem confident. I don't want to be over ruled by my depression but in college it's all I feel, especially as long 2 hour periods makes it hard to fully focus on work and can become distracted by my thoughts. I don't want to come across as the typical emo kid and to people think that of me, I don't want people to think I'm just following a mental health trend because it's real and I've been suffering with this for 3, almost 4 years and I don't want it to be treated lightly. I'm starting a new counselling place next week so hopefully that's better than my previous places. I know I should probably talk to my teachers but I don't know what to say. I know if i started crying or had a breakdown then they would notice but the fact I feel numb means it's rare that I cry or show any sign of emotion xD
tiffanyjpg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i struggled immensely in A2 with my depression. what helped the most was actually telling my tutor, letting her know how stressed out i was, how far back i felt. she talked to lecturers for me, i had constant meetings with my teachers, we had one on ones whenver i missed a lesson. teachers want to help you, they honestly really do - they just need to know that you need it. speak to your tutor, even if things aren't bad yet, and just let them know that you have depression. they may be able to arranged a weekly meeting of sorts to go over any troubles you have, or let you talk to a sort of college mentor. be honest and open - its really hard, but itll be worth it.

what helped me in being motivated was mostly that they were subjects i was in love with. i was also motivated by the support of my teachers - if i didnt feel like going they sent me the work and i did it at my own pace at home - if i wasnt able to meet a deadline they extended it and then again, on my bad days where barely any work was done, i still had the ability to try.

dont feel like you have to go. if its a super bad day, look after yourself first. stay in bed a bit longer, or have a long bath, and go into college later in the day and do a late attempt. there is nothing wrong with missing a couple of days due to your mental health, just make sure you allow the teachers to help you catch up.
Minsun20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hiya, thank you for taking the time to give me advice I'm like you in that I'm always a high-achiever. I got BCC in my AS results (one mark off an A) and I'm happy with these results tbh. I take 20mg of citalopram every night and use rescue remedy and natural remedies for anxiety and panic attacks. my teachers know about my mental health but I never fully opened up to them about why and what I was feeling. I'm scared that I come across as pathetic and whiney. I never want to seen like the anxious kid that's shy and so when speaking to people I always seem confident. I don't want to be over ruled by my depression but in college it's all I feel, especially as long 2 hour periods makes it hard to fully focus on work and can become distracted by my thoughts. I don't want to come across as the typical emo kid and to people think that of me, I don't want people to think I'm just following a mental health trend because it's real and I've been suffering with this for 3, almost 4 years and I don't want it to be treated lightly. I'm starting a new counselling place next week so hopefully that's better than my previous places. I know I should probably talk to my teachers but I don't know what to say. I know if i started crying or had a breakdown then they would notice but the fact I feel numb means it's rare that I cry or show any sign of emotion xD

Yeah, im like that in a sense that i dont go to teachers a lot (even if i needed to) as it may come across at Whitney or annoying to then. HAVE YOU ASKED MABE YOUR DOCTOR TO CHANGE YOUR MEDICATION as it might not suit you. THATS WHAT i find it hard to achieve happiness sometimes as I feel isolated. People in my year group see me as a weak person. Like on Friday, a girl accidentally bummed me without looking (Laugh out loud ahaha), and she looked at me as if I am about to cry. I wasn't going to cry. I dont get people in my year group. They think that hurting me or accindelt dong something will make me automatically cry. Do people around you do that as well?
I dont show any emotion to people except teachers as I feel like they will think im too weak. I know I want to become the person I want to be and I think you can. Teachers t school know I am a hardworking student who attends lessons. Even with having depression and anxiety, I still go to school; even when I am not feeling okay as I like the structure of my school on how its run. I'm seen as a geeky/nerd girl at school by people and my friends at school. The know I do well in lessons but actually in fact in my spare time, I just go over work. I guess I'm a loner at times at school, and thats why I'm okay at school and do alright in my grades as I dont have anyone to talk to so I go over work. Even though I have my Ipad with me and my phone, I just prefer to distract my self and the example I have was going through work- since its an important time and year since the grades depend on my future.
I remember in year 9, I felt sooooooo self conscious of myself standing in the cool corridors as I wanted to talk to someone (like fit in) but I was left alone. And after about 10mins of standing alone and pretending to be on my phone/ going though old messages, I walked quickly to the toilets and cried my eyes out. After I cried and calmed down myself, I just carried on the day as if nothing happened (though what happened kept in my head for a few days). I'm a loner not because I am "weird", but because I am seen as weak and a shy person. I never wanted to be shy but thats what society shaped me into. I usually distract myself from those negative thoughts by doing some sports and it really helps. I also listen to music whenever I get the time to. If I dont have music, I feel a bit claustrophobic. Are you a shy type of person?
I'm glad you are taking counselling sessions!!!!!!! Hurray! These professionals really help. I cant remember how long since i had counselling but my last one was towards my GCSE exams, whcih was like nearly 2 years ago. I would recommned CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) as they help with your thinking methods and trace you back to when you start felling like low. I know it can be daunting to go back to the past but the therapists can help you on how you go depression and whats linked to it. It could even be linked to genes if your family had history of depression. YOU COULD EVEN HAVE ANOTHER MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS. My CBT therapist thinks i have Aspergers cause I have ways had problems with communicating with people and understanding emotions. My psychiatrist never even mentioned it! I ne'er even new this till the therapist told me. This could be linked to my depressiona son anxiety. I would recommned gig to a teacher that teachers sociology, psychology or anything to do with linking to health. They can explain to you some detail maybe. That's why I went to my science teacher than my head of 6th form...

Sos for typing a lot of myself. Hahaa! I can so relate to you!
Lydiaolika
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you seeing this therapist for free and how, is this possible at 17? I really want to see a therapist because I've been struggling with grades (I'm in year 12), depression, anxiety, really low moods that distract me and a lot of things but I don't really want my parents to know. Thanks.
Minsun20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi sorry for such a late reply. Yes I got CBT from the NHS through my GP. They might even recommend a psychiatrist.

I’m now at uni in my second year but I’ve been struggling a lot still with the social aspect. I don’t like going out clubbing. It’s been even more difficult now as I’m more independent at uni. I struggle to go to the kitchen in my accommodation and even attending lectures and seminars. The department in my course is not helpful and also my disability advisor is not great either. Both of them suggest go to the doctor. It’s not reassuring really when you’re depressed and struggling
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (484)
59.53%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.29%
No- I want it (232)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.64%

Watched Threads