Televised Courts - What do you think? Watch

This discussion is closed.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
Well if it was subsription-only, as NDGAARONDI suggested, then there'd be less of a chance of the programme falling into this trap... one would hope. I'm certain that, given the right manner and direction, the show could be very professional and educational.
However you can never underestimate the voyeristic tendancies of some groups of the public. If viewing many court cases was widly available there may also be a rise in copy cat crimes as people would have access to large amounts of details about how the crimes were carried out.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well if it was subsription-only, as NDGAARONDI suggested, then there'd be less of a chance of the programme falling into this trap... one would hope. I'm certain that, given the right manner and direction, the show could be very professional and educational.
However you can never underestimate the voyeristic tendancies of some groups of the public. If viewing many court cases was widly available there may also be a rise in copy cat crimes as people would have access to large amounts of details about how the crimes were carried out.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
People can find out details of cases if they want to regardless of whether they're on television or not. Besides, why should they attempt it ... obviously it didn't work for the defendant (presuming he's guilty) as he has been prosecuted!
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
People can find out details of cases if they want to regardless of whether they're on television or not. Besides, why should they attempt it ... obviously it didn't work for the defendant (presuming he's guilty) as he has been prosecuted!
I know but this just makes it even easier for these details to be found out. And the copy cat criminal can not make the mistakes that the defndant did.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
(Original post by randdom)
I know but this just makes it even easier for these details to be found out. And the copy cat criminal can not make the mistakes that the defndant did.
Possibly. But do you think terrorists read Tom Clancy novels to find out how to commit the perfect terrorist act?

Besides I think that there is also the possibility of televised courts having the opposite effect, and acting as a deterrant to potential criminals.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Also will the court staff be happy with TVs in their face so to speak?
Well I was thinking of just a few camera - an overview of the court and perhaps one or two to focus on speakers ... like advocates, judges, jurors etc.

And yes a poll would have been nice ... but I didn't want people to just come and vote and not join in the discussion.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Possibly. But do you think terrorists read Tom Clancy novels to find out how to commit the perfect terrorist act?

Besides I think that there is also the possibility of televised courts having the opposite effect, and acting as a deterrant to potential criminals.
It depends on the cases ect and if there person gets off when they are obviously guilty ect. I don't see the problem with the law as it is now.
chica
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
This is a really interesting debate, I think televised cases would be good because it should evoke a greater interest in the Law and make it more accessible as a profession to the general public.

Also...the legal system in this country is quite inefficient, if more people could see what actually goes on in court - they might criticise the process thus leading to a great big shake up of how Law is practised.

But I worry that real people's lives, whether they are criminals or not, would just become sensationalised for TV's sake...like the OJ Simpson trial in America - seems less like real life and more like regular installments of a soap.

Also if someone's face is plastered across the TV for something big like rape or murder - they'd have very little chance of going back to a normal life even if acquitted...no?

And what's wrong with the Parliament channel?! I must say, I get very excited seeing all those politicians arguing and when Gordon Brown reads his budget - I can barely contain myself!
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
I think N's idea of a subscription service is pretty good, although it would take away the 'promoting greater interest in the law' bonus slightly because those who aren't interested wouldn't bother to pay.

If it is BBC or subscription, there would be no need for it to be sensationalised. Hell the house of commons is right next to the house of lords, why not just wheel the camera to the other room?
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hell the house of commons is right next to the house of lords, why not just wheel the camera to the other room?
I've watched the Lords and it's not that interesting.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
I've watched the Lords and it's not that interesting.
Yeah I'd rather watch the Bailey but I'd rather have the lords than nothing.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah I'd rather watch the Bailey but I'd rather have the lords than nothing.
Court proceedings can be boring too. The only reason why the Old Bailey isn't because of its history and it always hears the 'biggest' cases, which are usually very apparent in the media at the time. The Old Bailey is just a crown court. Rather watch the High Court
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (697)
80.48%
Leave (169)
19.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed