The Student Room Group

How to improve my application

deleted
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JackP_
as well as making me seem more well-rounded?

The last thing you need to be is "well-rounded"...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackP_
Hello,

I have just started Sixth Form with the following subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computer Science. I would like to study Computer Science at Cambridge.

I already have a fairly strong academic profile (9A* 2A at GCSE), and I believe I will be able to work hard enough to achieve at least A*A*AA at A-Level.

However, I would like to improve my application in other areas by entering competitions, making my own projects, doing work experience, community service, etc.

These are all things I believe I would enjoy doing, so aren't just to improve my application, but would hopefully do that as well.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I could improve my overall application by giving me some impressive things to reference on my personal statement and discuss in my interview, as well as making me seem more well-rounded?

Do you know any specific competitions I should enter? Or any steps I should take? Preferably related to Computer Science, but please let me know if you have anything else you think may help.

I have also been considering teaching myself Python and/or C# - would that help?

Thanks.

What the hell are you on about!!! 9A*s and 2As is fairly strong??? Bro I got similar and I'm super happy! Honestly with those results and your work ethic, you wouldn't need many extracurriculars, although relevant work experience is always helpful
Original post by JackP_
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I could improve my overall application by giving me some impressive things to reference on my personal statement and discuss in my interview, as well as making me seem more well-rounded?

Don't bother. Maths, maths and more maths.
i think it's mainly medicine where you need some BS personal statement, not computer science. maybe do some maths challenges in school and stuff
For Computer Science maybe you can develop a program, or go to a one-week work experience (during your holidays, summer maybe) at a computing firm or the computing department of a firm. If you find one, send an email being polite and explaining that you are really motivated etc :smile:
There is no need to do work experience and everyone enters competitions/does community service so it's not unique
Focus on showing your academic ability but also include some extra curricular and explain how they allowed you to develop certain skills

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending