Deferred entry to university ... advice?

Watch
Maro122
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
In order to have a 'deferred entry' into university are you offered a place first? And once you take that gap year and do an apprenticeship ... does that apprenticeship or course have to be related to your chosen course at uni?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maro122)
In order to have a 'deferred entry' into university are you offered a place first? And once you take that gap year and do an apprenticeship ... does that apprenticeship or course have to be related to your chosen course at uni?
Usually you would apply and request a deferred place when you apply. There's a section for it on the UCAS form.

It's also possible to apply normally and when you get an offer (or later a place) to ask if it can be deferred, however there's no guarantee that the university will allow the deferment - they often do though.

I'm not sure if you can do an apprenticeship whilst holding a deferred university place. I suspect you can't... but could be wrong.

Edit: and no, an apprenticeship usually has nothing to do with a degree course. If you want to do some work in a gap year it doesn't have to be an "apprenticeship", and equally it doesn't have to be anything to with the degree. In many cases you could spend it lounging on a beach - your university often doesn't care what you do.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can apply for deferred entry - ie. you just put your start year as 2019 instead of 2018 on your UCAS application.
Or you can ask later to have your date of entry changed to 2019 - but Unis dont have to agree to this.

I'm not sure why you think you have to do an apprenticeship in your gap year. You could actually do whatever you want to and does not have to have anything to do with your intended degree subjects,
Maro122
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
You can apply for deferred entry - ie. you just put your start year as 2019 instead of 2018 on your UCAS application.
Or you can ask later to have your date of entry changed to 2019 - but Unis dont have to agree to this.

I'm not sure why you think you have to do an apprenticeship in your gap year. You could actually do whatever you want to and does not have to have anything to do with your intended degree subjects,
So once my university offers me a place I can ask them for a deferred entry?
Maro122
Rep:
?
And will my place be guaranteed? Like will they not tell me to reapply all over again.?
-Anon 101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And will my place be guaranteed? Like will they not tell me to reapply all over again.?
Yes your place is guranateed
Deferred - put off (an action or event) to a later time; postpone.

You just start your uni course a year later after completing the gap year, this is only if the Uni allows for you to defer entry and may ask you why you want to defer, so ensure you state why your deferring , best to call Uni Admissions for your course directly and quickly .
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can either ask for a deferred place from the beginning (it wont make any difference in whether you get an offer or not) or you can defer one you have an offer (but if you already know you want a gap year, you should apply for that from the start).

If you get the grades required in your offer you have a definite place - you do not need to reapply, that's it, you are going to Uni, and you can go on your gap year knowing thats all sorted and definite.
Bluerainy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you ask for a deferred entry of you get your place through adjustments?
riahchi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m
Last edited by riahchi; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (484)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (595)
41.35%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (295)
20.5%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (65)
4.52%

Watched Threads