Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Degree apprenticeship experiences? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my final year of a levels and I'm thinking of doing a degree apprenticeship and I was wondering if anyone had completed one/is doing one because I'm worried about how hard it will be to study while working. What are your thoughts on it if you are doing one? Do you enjoy it or is it boring/not what you thought it would be?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I am literally thinking of doing one too, and I'm in my final year of a levels, I've found so many, but they start this year, not next year, could anyone help with this. from what I heard, they're meant to be very good, but you have to put a lot of work in

ReputationRep:
    I did a "higher" apprenticeship before degree apprenticeships were a thing really.

3 years of work and study up to foundation degree level was hard going especially as the apprenticeship part required about 1 week every month away from home at "uni" and then further weeks away getting operational (vendor) training meant I spent a long time traveling up and down the country.

But it was all paid for by my company (travel,food,accommodation, training itself - everything) and the group I was with every month were great plus I was given 1 day off operational work a week to keep up with my coursework.

It depends what you want to do. I've done both uni and apprenticeship as I didn't get very far without experience after uni so did an apprenticeship.

If you do an apprenticeship you won't get all of the uni experience (especially if you have money or well off parents) as you are an employee with all the requirements of that. That's not to say you won't get a chance to enjoy yourself on nights out etc but you've got to work a 9-5 (or whatever your employer expects), also expect to have to work out of hours just to get work done sometimes. However you should get paid and will end up with a degree without debt and much more importantly experience at the end.

Before I started my apprenticeship I had a crap retail job on 14k (no experience after uni) and left 3 years later as a vendor certified professional in my field at 32k with a promotion to "senior" at 45k 6 months later (still with the same company).

What really irritates me when SLC take their whack every month? My apprenticeship was on the back of my school qualification.

ReputationRep:
    can you still do a degree apprenticeship without a maths gcse but if you still get your 3 alevels???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alliyah_1999)
    can you still do a degree apprenticeship without a maths gcse but if you still get your 3 alevels???
    Unfortunately I'd say not, many if not all companies instantly disqualify people who don't have B/C grades at GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths. Perhaps consider retaking it if you are sure this is the path you want to take.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing one. It's not all it's cracked up to be, but I think that is more due to my employer rather than the premise of a degree apprenticeship. It's an awful lot of hard work, but very rewarding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darshans_singh)
    I am literally thinking of doing one too, and I'm in my final year of a levels, I've found so many, but they start this year, not next year, could anyone help with this. from what I heard, they're meant to be very good, but you have to put a lot of work in
    Can you send me the ones that you found for this year ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibbster1)
    Can you send me the ones that you found for this year?
    https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co....apprenticeship

https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co....apprenticeship

https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ceship/-178962

these are the ones that I could remember off the top of my head, but go to the tech partnership website, they have loads, hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    apparently theres less and less of them this year idk i need to sort it out haha good luck guys xxxx
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdlewiss)
    I'm in my final year of a levels and I'm thinking of doing a degree apprenticeship and I was wondering if anyone had completed one/is doing one because I'm worried about how hard it will be to study while working. What are your thoughts on it if you are doing one? Do you enjoy it or is it boring/not what you thought it would be?
    Thanks in advance!
    Degree Apprenticeships require incredible amounts of hard work and graft - you need to be self motivated and able to manage time properly. Bare in mind you will be working Full-Time and going to university at least one day a week - part time. I recently started a degree apprenticeship and it's already difficult, I've already been assigned two university assignments - a group presentation and an individual assignment + managing to work full time. The apprenticeship is not what I expected it to be, however, it is somewhat enjoyable + I have already made a tonne of new friends - I get the opportunity to meet other apprentices from various other companies at university lecturers too, so you're not just restricted to your companies set of apprentices.

If you think you are able to cope with the workload then go for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.