Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How I got 9's / A*'s at GCSE - Q&A Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    So I've been spending a lot of time on TSR lately (I'm fairly new) and having received a few PM's about study help etc., I realised that I actually really enjoy helping people out with revision and studies. And I'm bored as I have some free time before college starts.

Yeah, I managed 998A*A*A*A*A*A*A* in my GCSE's this year.
    I don't mean to brag or anything like that, but I feel like people would appreciate some tips on how I got these grades.
    (The 8 is english language.)

But anyway, ask me whatever you want and I'm cool with sharing revision tips or anything else you'd like. I would make a guide, but I suppose it's easier to just answer questions individually.

Hope I help, somehow!

Update: If you think i'm doing this to show off, fair enough, but nobody here has a clue who I am, so to think that I get credit from this is a little absurd, considering that all I am is a doge meme on your screen. The reality is that none of the people here actually care what some random kid got in her GCSE's, because as many of you have said, firstly nobody gives a damn about GCSE's at A-Level, and secondly, everyone is just here because they want help. The small minority of you who do care about my grades, appear to be the ones posting negativity lmaooo bye felicia.

Answers to FAQ:
    What were your GCSE subjects?
    • English literature (AQA)
    • English Language (AQA)
    • Maths (Edexcel)
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Religious studies
    • Spanish
    • Computer science
    • Geography

Did you go to private school or grammar school?
    Nope
    What are your A-Level choices?
    Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Psychology (+ Extended project).
    What are your career aspirations?
    It is my absolute goal in life to study medicine.
    (Hence why I took GCSE's seriously)
    Did you have a revision timetable?
    I actually did not, I much preferred studying what I felt like studying on a particular day for as long as I wanted, and I chose by prioritising subjects based on how much I knew, any upcoming tests etc. I can't pay attention to save my life.

ReputationRep:
    What GCSEs did you do?

ReputationRep:
    I just started gsces can you give me tips on maths and english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nylrehs)
    Hello all,
    So I've been spending a lot of time on TSR lately (I'm fairly new) and having received a few PM's about study help etc., I realised that I actually really enjoy helping people out with revision and studies.

I got 997A*A*A*A*A*A*A* in my GCSE's this year.
    (No intention of bragging, but people often appreciate help from people who achieved the highest grades of course.)

The 7 was in english language, so you might not want advice on that lol
    (One mark off an 8 thoooooo!)

But anyway ask me whatever you want and I'm cool with sharing revision tips etc.
    Have a good one
    You should get a remark on your English Lang if you aren't already

ReputationRep:
    congratulations !

As someone who did really well at GCSEs, why do you think a number of students who did well at GCSE struggle at A-Level ?

Like from my friendship group, 3 people did really well at GCSE(not as good as you but 2A*s 6As and 3 Bs) but then get really average A-Level results like ABC.

Is the jump from A-Level to GCSE really that big ? I thought it would be easier when you have fewer subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joeyfrazier)
    You should get a remark
    I am, I have a thread on that actually because I'm having a hard time deciding which paper to remark (check it out if you can)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawatt)
    What GCSEs did you do?
    I did English lit and lang, maths, biology, Chemistry, physics, religious studies, geography, computer science and spanish.

ReputationRep:
    WELL DONE!
    So how did you do it? what was your revision plan like?

ReputationRep:
    gonna go out, will answer everything as soon as I get back!

ReputationRep:
    When did u start revising?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly WELL DONE!!! Those are absolutely amazing results!
    I've just started year 11 with very high targets and I'm quite stressed. If you could answer my questions I'd be extremely thankful x
    When did you start revising and what revision methods did you use?
    How much revision did you do for your subjects/per day?
    What was your revision plan like if you had one?
    Which subject did you find the hardest?
    Were you stressed/anxious? If so, how did you cope with it?
    And most importantly: any advice?? xx
    Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    congratulations !

As someone who did really well at GCSEs, why do you think a number of students who did well at GCSE struggle at A-Level ?

Like from my friendship group, 3 people did really well at GCSE(not as good as you but 2A*s 6As and 3 Bs) but then get really average A-Level results like ABC.

Is the jump from A-Level to GCSE really that big ? I thought it would be easier when you have fewer subjects
    Generally, people who have the same results at GCSEs as the thread starter (which are exceptional!!) still get A*s at A-levels. But, even if you do not work a lot it's quite easy to have 1 or 2 A*s, a lot of As (at GCSEs). The workload, notions to know and their difficulty drops sharply from Y12 to Y13 so a lot of students get surprised in Y13 and get f* cked. Indeed, you can't not work and just understand it in class. Even if you understand the subject in class, in Y13, you need to work a lot at home and those who are not used to it are struggling. In Y13 it is imperative to work everyday like 2/3h at home and not the last month before the A-levels (which you can frankly do without problem with the GCSEs) .

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think it's a bit silly to have some of your GCSEs in numbers and the rest in letters? I've always thought that the way the government phased in the new GCSEs was a bit weird. And what's even weirder is that there's no 9-1 scale for the new A Levels which doesn't seem consistent (although I'm glad about that haha!). So those doing all 9-1 GCSEs will have number grades and then letter grades at A Levels which seems odd.

Lol bit of a weird question but just wanted to know your thoughts on this since you'll be living with those grades forever (congrats btw)

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I finished my GCSEs this year and got very similar results to you. A couple of days I started A-levels and ngl, I was struggling real bad. How are you finding A- levels so far (I know it's been a week but still)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PMC01234)
    Generally, people who have the same results at GCSEs as the thread starter (which are exceptional!!) still get A*s at A-levels. But, even if you do not work a lot it's quite easy to have 1 or 2 A*s, a lot of As (at GCSEs). The workload, notions to know and their difficulty drops sharply from Y12 to Y13 so a lot of students get surprised in Y13 and get f* cked. Indeed, you can't not work and just understand it in class. Even if you understand the subject in class, in Y13, you need to work a lot at home and those who are not used to it are struggling. In Y13 it is imperative to work everyday like 2/3h at home and not the last month before the A-levels (which you can frankly do without problem with the GCSEs) .
    I think that is probably what happened, I mean they all take their education seriously and where super ambitious about going to good universities but they only got serious in the final month.

In Chemistry, which ive picked, the teacher was like its not enough to know the material, you need to know how to apply existing knowledge in new situations which I feel is like impossible to revise for lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    I think that is probably what happened, I mean they all take their education seriously and where super ambitious about going to good universities but they only got serious in the final month.

In Chemistry, which ive picked, the teacher was like its not enough to know the material, you need to know how to apply existing knowledge in new situations which I feel is like impossible to revise for lol
    Indeed, and frankly (without offence to anyone), the A-levels exercises in STEM subjects are sometimes really repetitive so the key is in doing past papers like your life depends on it. Do similar exercises dozens of times to know perfectly what the examiners are expecting of you.

ReputationRep:
    what are you taking at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    So I've been spending a lot of time on TSR lately (I'm fairly new) and having received a few PM's about study help etc., I realised that I actually really enjoy helping people out with revision and studies.

(No intention of bragging, but people often appreciate help from people who achieved the highest grades of course.)

But anyway ask me whatever you want and I'm cool with sharing revision tips etc.
    Have a good one

UPDATE: realised I should say what subjects I did.
    English lit and lang, maths, triple science, religious studies, spanish, computer science, geography
    How did u revise for science, rs and computer science

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Have a good one

UPDATE: realised I should say what subjects I did.
    English lit and lang, maths, triple science, religious studies, spanish, computer science, geography
    Hello there, i've just started Year 10 and would like to know some revision tips for Maths, English and Science (Biology and Physics), thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tshreesher__l)
    Post another pointless thread on here when you discover what AS and A2 papers are actually like. They will be 10 times more difficult.
    Don't believe all the hype.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.