imhannahhhhh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
can someone break down trigonometry for me please?
FortitudeBank
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
:eek::eek::eek: you already want to know the end of the story?
FortitudeBank
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mr - wait not Mr but Sir - so Sir Trigonometry finds its roots in the unit circle. It is the circle of centre (0,0) and radius r=1. A point P on the circle is defined as the cosine (which would be the x-axis) and the sine (the y-axis) of the angle formed between the x-axis and the line OP in a new unit: the radian. We have one full turn of the unit circle being 2pi radians (as perimeter is 2pi r and r is here 1). Each angle of Ox with OP is therefore a fraction of 2pi. More specifically, 90 degrees=pi/2 radians etc...
FortitudeBank
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
More symbolically,

If the angle formed between Ox and OP is theta, therefore P(cos(theta), sin(theta)).
imhannahhhhh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by PMC01234)
Mr - wait not Mr but Sir - so Sir Trigonometry finds its roots in the unit circle. It is the circle of centre (0,0) and radius r=1. A point P on the circle is defined as the cosine (which would be the x-axis) and the sine (the y-axis) of the angle formed between the x-axis and the line OP in a new unit: the radian. We have one full turn of the unit circle being 2pi radians (as perimeter is 2pi r and r is here 1). Each angle of Ox with OP is therefore a fraction of 2pi. More specifically, 90 degrees=pi/2 radians etc...
lol i said break it down not destroy my understanding.
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it's like triangles and angles and stuff
FortitudeBank
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by imhannahhhhh)
lol i said break it down not destroy my understanding.
an image would be helpful here:
IrrationalRoot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
^^This image is the best one to explain trig, since this is how it's properly defined.

Broadly speaking it connects distances along circles to distances along straight lines. That is trigonometry. 'Sine' and 'cosine' are just the names we give to the functions that connect these two types of distance.
MR1999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe trigonometry was invented to find the distance to stars moving in the sky in a circular motion. So if you are looking at a star at some angle x, then the height of that star perpendicular to the ground is called sinx and the distance from where you're looking to the perpendicular is called cosx. We can then define the rest of trigonometry from these values.
IrrationalRoot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Desmos)
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe trigonometry was invented to find the distance to stars moving in the sky in a circular motion. So if you are looking at a star at some angle x, then the height of that star perpendicular to the ground is called sinx and the distance from where you're looking to the perpendicular is called cosx. We can then define the rest of trigonometry from these values.
Yeah this is correct (provided that the distance between you and the star is 1 unit).
As I've said we're defining functions - sine and cosine - that connect distances along circles - the circle centred at you and radius from you to the star - to distances along straight lines - the ones you described.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (89)
28.08%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (61)
19.24%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (95)
29.97%

Watched Threads