The Student Room Group

work experience for medicine

do I have enough work experience to apply this year or should I take a year out to apply?

-1 day shadowing a doctor
-1 day in a hospice
-just started teaching adult swimming
-used to help at brownies
-part-time job as a lifeguard where I've made some rescues.

which of these would be worth including and should I bother applying this year?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
do I have enough work experience to apply this year or should I take a year out to apply?

-1 day shadowing a doctor
-1 day in a hospice
-just started teaching adult swimming
-used to help at brownies
-part-time job as a lifeguard where I've made some rescues.

which of these would be worth including and should I bother applying this year?

and if I don't apply this year, I will obviously need more work experience for next year but I really want to focus on my studies this year. Is it true that you need volunteering over a year in advance or could I just organise it now for the summer and my gap year? I have all the other things but i have stopped them now, and none of them are in a healthcare setting.
Honestly,

This is nowhere near enough. You have two days of actual clinical work experience - this needs to be at least two weeks.

Try and get a some volunteering at a local Care Home, but these for a progressive period of time, i.e. a few months once a week.

I wish you all the best with your medicine application! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by GCSEStudent903
Honestly,

This is nowhere near enough. You have two days of actual clinical work experience - this needs to be at least two weeks.

Try and get a some volunteering at a local Care Home, but these for a progressive period of time, i.e. a few months once a week.

ok do I need to start this now or would I be able to start as late as July, after my exams and after I've definitely decided medicine is for me or do I really need to start volunteer work ASAP?
Reply 4
You can do volunteering at your local hospital/care homes. Email lots of hospitals and ask about work experience opportunities. Medify has a work experience map (which I believe is free) that you can use to find contact information etc. Apply for bank HCA/Phlebotomy jobs (assuming you've finished GCSE's). Try and get some more clinical work experience in.
Original post by GCSEStudent903
Honestly,

Hey, I politely disagree, most med schools couldn't really care less about clinical work experience, although, there is no harm doing clinical work experience as it does give you a real insight into the career - they appreciate its hard to obtain and that it is way easier for those with medical contacts to organise.

Regarding volunteering, I agree with you on that one :-) To the thread starter: you definitely need to do volunteering, for atleast 6 months and regularly (ie. atleast once a week) - admissions tutors like to see that you are committed, so once a week for 6 months is better than every day for 2 weeks, if you get what i mean?

good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Also it's more about what you learned from your experience (and showing commitment as the poster above said). Be reflective of the experiences you've had in those work experiences, skills you've learned, problems you've overcome - and how that reflects on your personal development of qualities required to be a 'good doctor'.
Surely there's nothing to lose by applying this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending